ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha - New Mixer - TF series  (Read 86833 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Yamaha - New Mixer - TF series
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »

Touch to turn is pretty slick I'll give you that - I admit I end up using touch to turn for EQ pretty frequently on my GLD, even with 8 EQ encoders on the surface.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »

This is my concern as well - it's nice to see what the EQ looks like, but it's very easy to lose focus on how it actually sounds.

I don't have to look up to listen, but I may be in the minority.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »

Yup. I can mix no matter where my head is pointed. Hell I even saw a blind guy mixing once. I wonder how he ever did it!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »

What?! You're talking crazy talk there. Everyone knows that if you can't see something, then you can't hear it. Just ask every college lighting design professor.  ::)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Cristian Good

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »

Does anyone know if it will include the fade times for scene changes? Does the QL series have fade times?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »

Pros know what they need from the sound coming off the stage.  And can tweak a graphic or find a center frequency on a strip often without looking at it.  Or at least not staring at the panel for 60 seconds.  But I see a lot of folks in clubs entranced with digital board displays and completely unaware of what's going on on stage.  Anything that gets them to look up (or spend less time looking down) so I can get their attention is a good thing when my muso's hat is on.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 08:40:40 PM »

Maybe they'll offer a stripped down version without all the manufacturer tuned presets for those of us that know what we are doing, and save us a few bucks on the price too...  ::)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Bolt

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 10:27:02 PM »

Si Expression is using the same pricing. They're selling pretty well considering their featureset on expandability.
Just to put the pricing in context:

MIDAS M32R - $3000.00
Yamaha TF1 - $2500.00
Soundcraft Si Expression 1 $2500.00
Qu-16 - $2000.00
X32 Compact - $2000.00
X32 Producer - $1500.00

I think that both the TF1 and Si Expression are very close to the M32R in price.  Hard to justify not spending the extra $500 for a MIDAS console.

I do like several things about the TF line.  The combo plugs I think are actually a nice touch.  LCD scribble strips are very nice as well.

It just seems like Yamaha have put themselves in a tight market position...... nearly as expensive as a MIDAS mixer, and almost double the lower priced X32 Producer .... both rivals can be put into a 19" rack while the Yamaha doesn't appear to be able to do so (please correct me if I missed something here).

It appears this mixer will compete with the Si Expression and appeal to some of those would be buyers.  With its recording ability and LCD scribble strips, it actually has some advantages over the Si Expression.  Unfortunately, from where I currently stand, the Si Expression still enjoys a usability rating at the top of any of these consoles .... including the new TF.

Competition is good for the consumer.  I look forward to hearing how these new consoles sound out in the wild ;)

Thomas Le

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »

Just to put the pricing in context:

MIDAS M32R - $3000.00
Yamaha TF1 - $2500.00
Soundcraft Si Expression 1 $2500.00
Qu-16 - $2000.00
X32 Compact - $2000.00
X32 Producer - $1500.00

I think that both the TF1 and Si Expression are very close to the M32R in price.  Hard to justify not spending the extra $500 for a MIDAS console.

I do like several things about the TF line.  The combo plugs I think are actually a nice touch.  LCD scribble strips are very nice as well.

It just seems like Yamaha have put themselves in a tight market position...... nearly as expensive as a MIDAS mixer, and almost double the lower priced X32 Producer .... both rivals can be put into a 19" rack while the Yamaha doesn't appear to be able to do so (please correct me if I missed something here).

It appears this mixer will compete with the Si Expression and appeal to some of those would be buyers.  With its recording ability and LCD scribble strips, it actually has some advantages over the Si Expression.  Unfortunately, from where I currently stand, the Si Expression still enjoys a usability rating at the top of any of these consoles .... including the new TF.

Competition is good for the consumer.  I look forward to hearing how these new consoles sound out in the wild ;)

At the bottom of the product page or in the brochure, they show a TF1 rackmounted.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:35 PM »

Pros know what they need from the sound coming off the stage.  And can tweak a graphic or find a center frequency on a strip often without looking at it.  Or at least not staring at the panel for 60 seconds.  But I see a lot of folks in clubs entranced with digital board displays and completely unaware of what's going on on stage.  Anything that gets them to look up (or spend less time looking down) so I can get their attention is a good thing when my muso's hat is on.

Those people would mix just as badly on an analog rig.  Don't blame the tools.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.