ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New EV EKX18sp vs ELX 118p, JBL PRX718xlf & QSC KW181  (Read 5790 times)

Richard Penrose

New EV EKX18sp vs ELX 118p, JBL PRX718xlf & QSC KW181
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:01:50 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone had a chance to hear the new EV EKX18sp subs yet?

Mike Santarelli

Re: New EV EKX18sp vs ELX 118p, JBL PRX718xlf & QSC KW181
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »

Hi,

Has anyone had a chance to hear the new EV EKX18sp subs yet?

I have not heard the ekx but I own the kw181 and owned the elx118p.  The elx is a great sounding sub if you don't ask it to do too much.  Overall the kw181 sounds better and is more stable the harder you push it.  Warranty is much better as well as the track record.  The prx718 is a great sounding sub as well.  When I was buying it was between the prx718 and kw181.  They are close, with the jbl going a bit lower.  I thought the kw181 was a bit more more musical but thats me.  The main factor for me was qsc's 6 year warranty.  That's what I went with. 

Fast forward a few months - If I could do it over I would have waited and got the the jbl srx818sp or ev etx sub.  These two are a step up from the others IMO. 

I compared the srx818 with a kw181 last night.  The jbl went a lot lower and sounded fuller.  Wasn't much louder but sounded bigger which should be expected.  The qsc is a nice small package though. 

If you look around you can get the srx818 for around $1300 and I think you will be happier down the road.  That would be my choice.  Of the others, its a toss up.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »

Those JBL's do look seriously nice but they cost £550 more than the EV's each. Also, the EV's are lighter than the JBL's which is a major consideration for me as I often have to carry them by myself when wheels won't cope with the terrain.

My current ELX118p's do a pretty acceptable job at most gigs I use them and for the £1000 they cost for the pair they offer a very respectable performance for the money. However, it seems that my DXR15's have a higher output than my ELX118p's as the clip light comes on the subs but not the DXR's. However, the ELX118p's sound surprisingly good when they're within their limit and I am just looking for something that can comfortably keep up with the DXR's.
I'm hoping the new EKX 18sp's will give me a noticeably higher output and keep up with my DXR15's without the limiter light coming. Also, seeing as they are EV's next range up I would hope the audio quality would be at least as good if not a step up!? Cardioid mode would also be very useful and help clean up onstage sound.
I've spoken to a dealer who has both the new EKX 18sp's and QSC KW181's and he thinks their output is on a par. IF this is true the EKX 18sp's would move the bar for that kind of price/performance as they would cost £600 less per pair in the UK!
Hoping that some people will have heard these by now?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.