ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lectricity History  (Read 10804 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Lectricity History
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »

I found this old ad for the Delco Light Plant, which let the farmer's wife do more chores using electricity such as churn the butter and do the laundry, even after it gets dark outside. So it's a win-win for the farmer. Not so sure about the farmer's wife... ;D

The motor on the tripod stand they show in that ad belted up to various equipment is just like the one I have.

As for the shows I had gone to, Darke County Steam Threshers and Tractor show in Greenville Ohio and the Portland Indiana Gas Engine and Tractor show. The Darke County show has since split into two different shows, one for steam power and another for tractors and engines.

To put me fully into the gas engine nerd category I have an antique spark plug collection.!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »

Since we seem to have drifted into antique machinery, I'll add that "Dream Machines", a show of many just such things, is happening this Sunday at the Half Moon Bay Airport, California, which, as it turns out, is actually in delightfully named Princeton by the Sea.

I went many years ago -- this is an annual event -- and had a great time, including a ride on a gorgeously restored DC-3.

This Sunday I'll be amplifying music and won't be able to attend. Maybe next year.

http://dreammachines.miramarevents.com/

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »

I found this old ad for the Delco Light Plant, which let the farmer's wife do more chores using electricity

This reminded me of a poster I saw a few years ago which was probably from around the 1940s or 1950s when electrical kitchen appliances were becoming popular:

"Don't kill your wife with hard work - Let electricity do it".

Steve.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »

Here's a fascinating article following the development of the electric light bulb and how it affected civilization, including getting your bacon and eggs in the morning. (Yes, your wife made breakfast for you back then, many times on a wood burning stove which she hauled the wood for). There's a bunch of great historical pictures with old wiring as well.  http://www.rexophone.com/?p=1175

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.