ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: sound quality for cell phone headphone out to mixer.  (Read 14332 times)

tkroeker

sound quality for cell phone headphone out to mixer.
« on: April 11, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »

need help with what level most cell phone headphone outs are and what to use to hook to console or standard line ins. Seems like with the cell output low and the system high vs the other way around has no difference. Possible RDL solution or what.

Thanks

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: sound quality for cell phone headphone out to mixer.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »

Not clear what phones you're using or what consoles but I have no trouble getting a solid -15 or so level out of assorted iPhones, iPads and iPods.  Well within the gain range make up of the Yamaha and soundcraft consoles we use.  Yes, if you want to drive a power amp to full output you'll likely need a gain stage in there.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »

need help with what level most cell phone headphone outs are and what to use to hook to console or standard line ins. Seems like with the cell output low and the system high vs the other way around has no difference. Possible RDL solution or what.

Thanks
How long is the run?

I just make my own cables, a 1/8" to a pair of XLRs, wired pin 2 hot, pin 3 gnd.

It works great.

If you need a mono connection, then put a series resistor (a couple hundred ohms or so)  for each channel and then parallel them.

Again pin 2 hot, pin 3 ground. 

I leave pin 1 floating in both cases.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »

Does the console have a stereo in channel strip? I just use the TS to minijack, no point in XLR since it's not balanced, unless if it's only XLR inputs, then DI it in.

Tom Burgess

If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:30:06 PM »

I would do mini to ts before I did mini to xlr because of the possibility of phantom on the xlrs. Many device outputs can't tolerate the phantom power.

I use a radial pro av to convert to balanced if I am going to send the signal any distance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »

I would do mini to ts before I did mini to xlr because of the possibility of phantom on the xlrs. Many device outputs can't tolerate the phantom power.

That is why I have it wired between pins 2 and 3 and NOT attached to pin 1.

There is 0V difference between pins 2 and 3.  Phantom is only applied with respect to pin 1
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

Yep, it works for your cable and then someone else sees it and makes another with pin one connected...

I would rather totally avoid it so there is no doubt especially as a traveling tech you rarely know the background of any cables you are provided.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

tkroeker

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 10:17:36 PM »

Except for the XLRs This is basicly what I am doing. I will do some testing to provide more info.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:27:49 PM by todd kroeker »

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »

I have petsonaly damaged 2 or 3 smartphones and at least one PC sound card with 48v... I've found that I genetaly avoid minijat to xlr cables. And if for some reason I MUST use one there's check, double and tripple check like the lifes of the Apollo 11 crew was on line. ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.