ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what do you think of L-Acoustic Kara and D&B Y12  (Read 12070 times)

Daniel Ong 1985

what do you think of L-Acoustic Kara and D&B Y12
« on: April 11, 2015, 02:18:13 AM »

I am Daniel Ong from Singapore and I am wannabe sound engineer. I happened to come across your website when I was searching for difference between Kara and Y12....more of pros and cons for both system. I hope to know more sound engineers online to make friends and learn from them and I really hope you can assist me as I am unable to find much info comparing the above brands.

Recently I was with a events company trying out the Y12. Setup was as follows

1) one single array (fly)
2) Two subs (below the array)

We played random music from rock to jazz to techno. We did a cut on the D80 amp and I find that the high mids is very harsh, but when we remove the cut it sounds better.

With the cut, if the music goes too loud it makes it sounds messy because of the crispy high mids but I love how the vocals is able to cut through clearly with or without the cut.

I notice the speakers and subs don't jelly very well, I can distinctively identify the source of the sound coming from which directions. I have not heard Kara before and we are going to a second sound run for both speakers side by side. Y12 come across to me as a sound system for big disco clubs, but I have to admit....the subs are tight and strong...until a certain distance. Then again it is too early to judge as I have not hear what Kara sounds like.

What do you guys think? Do share with me your opinion and let me bring it to my next sound test.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:21:33 AM by Danielong1985 »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: what do you think of L-Acoustic Kara and D&B Y12
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 03:30:30 AM »

I am Daniel Ong from Singapore and I am wannabe sound engineer. I happened to come across your website when I was searching for difference between Kara and Y12....more of pros and cons for both system. I hope to know more sound engineers online to make friends and learn from them and I really hope you can assist me as I am unable to find much info comparing the above brands.

Recently I was with a events company trying out the Y12. Setup was as follows

1) one single array (fly)
2) Two subs (below the array)

We played random music from rock to jazz to techno. We did a cut on the D80 amp and I find that the high mids is very harsh, but when we remove the cut it sounds better.

With the cut, if the music goes too loud it makes it sounds messy because of the crispy high mids but I love how the vocals is able to cut through clearly with or without the cut.

I notice the speakers and subs don't jelly very well, I can distinctively identify the source of the sound coming from which directions. I have not heard Kara before and we are going to a second sound run for both speakers side by side. Y12 come across to me as a sound system for big disco clubs, but I have to admit....the subs are tight and strong...until a certain distance. Then again it is too early to judge as I have not hear what Kara sounds like.

What do you guys think? Do share with me your opinion and let me bring it to my next sound test.

My suggestion is two fold.  1 - Pay more attention, the thread labed "read before you post" and the warning when you signed up was not enough, you still did not use your real name. A requirement for these rooms.

2 - I think you need to learn your trade, it takes years of training to properly setup a line array and huge gigs and rooms to justify it.  Neither of which is going to be an entry level event.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Daniel Ong 1985

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:50:31 AM »

My suggestion is two fold.  1 - Pay more attention, the thread labed "read before you post" and the warning when you signed up was not enough, you still did not use your real name. A requirement for these rooms.

2 - I think you need to learn your trade, it takes years of training to properly setup a line array and huge gigs and rooms to justify it.  Neither of which is going to be an entry level event.

Hi Scott,

1) I did use my real name and I added my birth year inside.....I am Daniel Ong...ermm unless I am doing something wrongly please let me know in detail. Anyway I separated my name to make it clearer

2) Yes the reason I came in here is to learn. Hence I am trying to get info on L-Acoustic Kara and D&B Y12.

The mock up of the array was done by professional and I was invited to assist. In order to know more and gain knowledge, I came in here to hear views of what other sound engineers think about the 2 products. I also added my views on the product D&B Y12 to see if anyone agrees with me on the findings.

Thank you once again Scott for the 2 great advise. Please let me know of your views on these 2 products if you come across them. I am really thankful that I was invited to the sound test as not much venue/company is able to afford these wonderful instruments.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:53:52 AM by Daniel Ong 1985 »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »

You're good, Daniel, thank you. With the birth year involved, Scott might have thought it was a pseudonym, which is prohibited on here. We're all professionals, you see, of varying levels of expertise, but still- we say what we mean, and we stand behind what we've said without hiding behind an anonymous handle.

Anyways, these forums are certainly a great resource and will help you to learn a lot! With the exception of electrical and rigging, you can get advice and opinions on a wide variety of professional event production.

I've not used the Y12 boxes, but there's several Kara rigs in my neighborhood so they get used. One outfit has a bunch of those, plus K1s and uses the Karas as downfills from the K1s. Another guy has a small (12-16 boxes?) Kara rig, and it's gotten great use at small to medium sized block parties, and delay hangs at the Oregon Country Jamboree last year.  Easy to rig, sound good-- and if you like brown you are good to go. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Daniel Ong 1985

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »

You're good, Daniel, thank you. With the birth year involved, Scott might have thought it was a pseudonym, which is prohibited on here. We're all professionals, you see, of varying levels of expertise, but still- we say what we mean, and we stand behind what we've said without hiding behind an anonymous handle.

Anyways, these forums are certainly a great resource and will help you to learn a lot! With the exception of electrical and rigging, you can get advice and opinions on a wide variety of professional event production.

I've not used the Y12 boxes, but there's several Kara rigs in my neighborhood so they get used. One outfit has a bunch of those, plus K1s and uses the Karas as downfills from the K1s. Another guy has a small (12-16 boxes?) Kara rig, and it's gotten great use at small to medium sized block parties, and delay hangs at the Oregon Country Jamboree last year.  Easy to rig, sound good-- and if you like brown you are good to go. :)

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Thank you for assisting in clearing up the misunderstanding for Scott, I was kinda worried I did something wrong.

Have you heard any of the Kara? What do you think of them personally, don't worry as I won't be quoting you or anything. I want to take your view into account for my next test run. I need as much honest personal opinion for reference. I can go to LA website and sure they have testimony and I can read a lot from magazines. But raw opinion is hard to come by and hard truth is need to enhance professionalism in event by buying/using right equipment for suitable events.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 11:27:35 AM »

Hi Daniel-

What *we* think of the speaker systems doesn't matter so much as what YOU think of them and how well they meet the needs of the client and system owners.

Are there specific concerns about the differences between them?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »

I have used the Kara and they are a great sounding box!
Recently used a D&B (similar size...not sure of model) and they too sounded very nice.
2 samples of some of the best sounding "line arrays" I have used.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Daniel Ong 1985

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 11:47:06 AM »

Hi Daniel-

What *we* think of the speaker systems doesn't matter so much as what YOU think of them and how well they meet the needs of the client and system owners.

Are there specific concerns about the differences between them?

Hi Tim,

Currently I have not hear Kara, but as per my first post I have describe the feeling I get from D&B. So I am just opening up my mind for different opinion and views. I felt that you are offended by something by using *we* and YOU which I felt from Scott. Personally apart from testing a purchase yourself, I believe majority would go to a forum to read for reviews and comment. There is no concern but just professional opinion on their view on the products.

For Kara I am hoping someone will give me their brief experience with the product, so that I am able to know what to expect when I go for the test. Of course I will take the aspect of the venue into consideration.

Sorry if I assume the hostility from you and Scott and apologize for any misunderstanding. Like I mentioned that I am here to read and learn.

Daniel Ong 1985

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 11:50:19 AM »

I have used the Kara and they are a great sounding box!
Recently used a D&B (similar size...not sure of model) and they too sounded very nice.
2 samples of some of the best sounding "line arrays" I have used.

Hi Keith,

Thank you for sharing, mind if i probe further on the nature of event so I can assume the track and music that is played. It is ok if you are unsure of the model. Was the D&B harsh on the high mids and when you push the fader further the vocal sounds messy?

Daniel Ong 1985

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »

Hi all,

Just side track a bit, reason I ask for professional experience in the product is to take into account if the system is tune correctly and other factor. Of course with all precious experience that I gain here will help me when I am tuning the sound.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.