ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Mixing Desk advice  (Read 6885 times)

Anthony_Svarcbergs

Digital Mixing Desk advice
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »

Howdy guys,

Long story short, I am a DJ by trade, Nightclub and such type work. My pastor called me in to the office today and said that it's time they step up they're game with the sound of our Church.

The floor space is roughly 50m X 35m with a pitched roof height of about 12m, the building is very solidly build with insulated walls and rippled iron roof with thick insulation up top as well and carpeted flooring. We currently do not have a reverb issue in the building when it's rocking out as we generally have a all seats filled.

We don't currently have a professional sound tech in the congregation nor one in the area so he has come to me to ask for assistance. He has asked me to find a new Mixing desk and asked about "Digital", We are based in Australia and are using JBL and Mackie powered pa speakers and will probably be replacing a few floor monitors as well and we use about 18 channels of our current mixing desk that is being replaced.

I need advice on how to start looking at what type of Digital MD and what I need to be considering when purchasing. I can organise links to our current speakers and what not if it is needed. But he has asked me to make these decision on his behalf and to get it done sooner rather than later.

Thanks guys and I look forward to hearing your wisdom and learning a thing or two

Warm regards,
Anthony

John L Nobile

Re: Digital Mixing Desk advice
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »

That's a big space which probably holds a lot of people. I'd suggest that you get a consultant in there. If you want advice from here, and you'll get some great advice,  you should probably post pics and floor plans. Budget as well.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »

That's a big space which probably holds a lot of people. I'd suggest that you get a consultant in there. If you want advice from here, and you'll get some great advice,  you should probably post pics and floor plans. Budget as well.

Backing up even a little from that point--how is the current system failing to meet your needs? Why do you want to replace the components you're considering replacing?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Chris Penny

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Before you look more at any particular digital desk (or any other piece of kit) I would be first looking at your entire current system and seeing how it is not meeting your, or your pastor's requirements.  Remember the system isn't just the speakers and mixer, but also includes the room acoustics and the operators. 

This will help you form a vision/plan and build goals for what you want the system to do.  Once you know what you want the system to do you can choose the right tools for the job. 

This will all take time and may involve many discussions with those involved throughout the church. This is not a quick fix situation.

Without know further details such as congregation size/budget, you may be at a point where you really need a consultant on this.  Where in Australia are you? There are a few of us around and someone may be around you to help, or at least point you in an appropriate direction.
Sound Guy
Gymea Baptist Church
Sydney, Australia
www.gymeabaptist.org.au

Anthony_Svarcbergs

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 11:51:21 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Before you look more at any particular digital desk (or any other piece of kit) I would be first looking at your entire current system and seeing how it is not meeting your, or your pastor's requirements.  Remember the system isn't just the speakers and mixer, but also includes the room acoustics and the operators. 

This will help you form a vision/plan and build goals for what you want the system to do.  Once you know what you want the system to do you can choose the right tools for the job. 

This will all take time and may involve many discussions with those involved throughout the church. This is not a quick fix situation.

Without know further details such as congregation size/budget, you may be at a point where you really need a consultant on this.  Where in Australia are you? There are a few of us around and someone may be around you to help, or at least point you in an appropriate direction.

The room is very well built and designed acoustically, i will see what I can do to obtain any exact details for you all.

The main reason he gave me of wanting this updated is, they only run a pair of powered P.A speakers at the front left and right that are deteriorating, they are only behringer 500W and a couple of floor monitors along the front stage all of which are no-name donated speakers from about 10 years ago, they then run a few speakers with the guitars and what not. He then just said that the mixer was a very worn out and also deteriorating analogue model which is struggling to work properly. all that being said I can take some shots of all of this equipment this Sunday and post them here if you think it could help at all.

The church is in Burnie Tasmania

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 01:59:36 AM »

The room is very well built and designed acoustically, i will see what I can do to obtain any exact details for you all.

The main reason he gave me of wanting this updated is, they only run a pair of powered P.A speakers at the front left and right that are deteriorating, they are only behringer 500W and a couple of floor monitors along the front stage all of which are no-name donated speakers from about 10 years ago, they then run a few speakers with the guitars and what not. He then just said that the mixer was a very worn out and also deteriorating analogue model which is struggling to work properly. all that being said I can take some shots of all of this equipment this Sunday and post them here if you think it could help at all.

So, a few questions to get us started:

1.  How many people are typically in attendance at one time?  How many do you want to be able to cover?

2.  What does the program look like?  Modern music with a full band?  Traditional music of some kind?

3.  What kind of budget might be realistic?

Anthony_Svarcbergs

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 02:49:39 AM »

So, a few questions to get us started:

1.  How many people are typically in attendance at one time?  How many do you want to be able to cover?

2.  What does the program look like?  Modern music with a full band?  Traditional music of some kind?

3.  What kind of budget might be realistic?

I will find out budget over the weekend for you....
we have seating for 200 and we get normally have close to 120 and the room feels typically full. and it is modern style music like Hillsong with full band and on average 4 singers.
attached is a very rough sketch that I will obtain photos of this weekend

Irvin Pribadi

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 10:49:32 AM »

You mentioned the ceiling at 12m high (about 37ft high).
Do you have access and allowed to hang speakers from above?
You'll need a rigging contractor to do this.

I know you mentioned no issue on room reverberation, but are any of the walls acoustically treated? What are the wall surface made of?
Thanks.

Michael Elphinstone

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »

Where in Australia are you?

My first suggestion is to talk to a local professional sound/AV company. We have lots of them down here (I'm in Melbourne). The overarching principle in this situation is "fast, good, cheap. Pick two". The last thing a church needs is a half baked job. Sorry but I've seen too many small churches over the years who want Hillsong sound on an op shop budget.

Cheers,
Michael

Chris Penny

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »

Nice area, spent some time near Burnie on my honeymoon a few years ago.  Unfortunately I can also see why you may struggle to find suitable professionals. May have to get someone across from Launceston or up from Hobart.

Unfortunately it sounds to me it may be time for a complete upgrade. Assuming limited funds and assuming the main issues are speaker related I would be looking at them first rather than the desk, as changing the desk will not fix the speaker issues. As noted by Michael this is one of those situations where fast cheap and of a decent quality is not possible.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.
Sound Guy
Gymea Baptist Church
Sydney, Australia
www.gymeabaptist.org.au

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.