ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Mixing Desk advice  (Read 4872 times)

Darren Aitcheson

Re: Digital Mixing Desk advice
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:50:42 am »

He then just said that the mixer was a very worn out and also deteriorating analogue model which is struggling to work properly.

Does the pastor know this from speaking to those who operate it? It would probably be best for you to ask them yourself - and also speak to the band to get their opinions (and their requirements).

I'm not a pro, but as others have said, there's no point in getting a brand new mixer if your speakers are worn out or unsuitable. It'd be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Anthony_Svarcbergs

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:13:22 pm »

Nice area, spent some time near Burnie on my honeymoon a few years ago.  Unfortunately I can also see why you may struggle to find suitable professionals. May have to get someone across from Launceston or up from Hobart.

Unfortunately it sounds to me it may be time for a complete upgrade. Assuming limited funds and assuming the main issues are speaker related I would be looking at them first rather than the desk, as changing the desk will not fix the speaker issues. As noted by Michael this is one of those situations where fast cheap and of a decent quality is not possible.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Thanks everyone so far, I'm not a slacker lol just been very busy.... The photos did not come out nicely on the weekend so I am going to pop in to the church today or tomorrow and post them ASAP.

(Speakers) Yes they are very out dated but I can't stop thinking that old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it, yes it's not flawless but if we keep what we have and use it simply for speaking and possibly get something like 3-ways to run the band through would make it a lot more crisper and controllable. IGBTYS

Kent Thompson

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 04:31:36 pm »

I am not discounting the previous posts in fact I agree with them but, you did not say what mixer you are currently looking at replacing so it is hard to say what improvement there will be. I can say though that in the right hands a digital board can make a noticeable improvement in the sound quality just because there will be more tools available to the person mixing like fully parametric eqs on each input and outputs along with graphic eqs compressors limiters adjustable high pass filters etc. etc. etc. 

What I would do is set down with the pastor and start to develop a long term goal with the sound. Starting with where you are and where you want to go. Put in writing concrete goals that you can implement in steps. 1. speakers 2. signal processors 3. mixers 4. monitors 5 other ods and ends (this is in no particular order) once you have a plan of where you want to go and what your goals are you can bring in someone to show you how to meet those goals. Audio consultants can help you put this in paper form to present to the music stores and get you quotes that actually accomplish your goals rather than just buying a piece or 2 there in hopes that it improves things. Good luck

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 04:31:36 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.