ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertical truss  (Read 2969 times)

Robert Piascik

• Hilliard, OH (near Columbus)
Vertical truss
« on: April 08, 2015, 05:14:21 pm »

I have 10 pcs of Applied Electronics HD 12" box truss and want to use some it vertically with a light fixture on top. Truss pieces weigh approximately 66 lbs. each.

What size base do people generally use to do this? Bases range from 12" - 30" square and obviously the bigger the better but more difficult logistically.

Any suggestions on how to carry the bases around?

How stable would it be if I used two or three across the top connected to two vertical pieces (i.e. an arch) then hung fixtures on it? Is this a usable idea or should I just forget it and use lifts instead?

Thanks for any advice.

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

Justin Waters

Re: Vertical truss
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:55:30 pm »

I have 10 pcs of Applied Electronics HD 12" box truss and want to use some it vertically with a light fixture on top. Truss pieces weigh approximately 66 lbs. each.

What size base do people generally use to do this? Bases range from 12" - 30" square and obviously the bigger the better but more difficult logistically.

Any suggestions on how to carry the bases around?

How stable would it be if I used two or three across the top connected to two vertical pieces (i.e. an arch) then hung fixtures on it? Is this a usable idea or should I just forget it and use lifts instead?

Thanks for any advice.

I would just get the 30" plates and be done with it.  If you are just doing like a 6.5" totem then 24" plates would probably be ok.  We do what we call a "goalie post" setup frequently that we use 8 or 10 foot vertical truss with varying lengths of horizontal between them and use 30" steel base plates.  Just know your limits on weight for your span.

As for transport, we strap them to the side of the box truck, but you could just lay them down.  They are next to impossible to hurt.

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:43:05 pm »

24" minimum weighted with sandbags.
A welder friend and some 1" tube steel or aluminum builds a nice cart for the bigger bases.
24" should still be small and light enough to build a wooden cases for them.
I would go with no smaller than the 30's if you are planning an arch with weight.

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:50 am »

As stated before, we too use 24" bases for 6-8' uprights, 30" if going higher.  In my experience, it's not so much the weight of the base plate as it is the surface area that keeps it stable.  If I were buying new, I'd go with 30" aluminum base plates (many have handle cutouts to make transportation easier) and add 2 25lb sandbags to each for added stability if needed.  30" steel baseplates are a pain to move around.  Go with aluminum and sandbags and you'll be much happier at the end of the night during load-out.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »

For transportation, we use a 2-wheel handcart rated for 600lbs; it'll hold 3x steel 36" base plates (strapped to the handcart). Christie Lites uses a standard-size (24"x48") dolly that will hold 8x 36" base plates:
https://www.christielites.com/product_profile.php?sectionid=6&code=21&name=Road%20Cases&linenum=0&totlines=-1&subgroup=yes&parentcode=&id=722&curmm=31

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 26 queries.