ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB input digital recorder  (Read 3188 times)

Jim Rutherford

USB input digital recorder
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:56:42 AM »

Are there any digital multitrack recorders which work with a USB ASIO input?  I want to stay in the sub $1K range.
Specifically, I want to use the soundcraft MADI/USB card and go straight into a rack recorder using the USB.  The MADI is being used to interface with the mini stagebox. 

As always, thanks for your help and input.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

BenFranske

Re: USB input digital recorder
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:32:08 PM »

I don't think that is what Jim is looking for. The Cymatic unit looks basically like a JoeCo BlackBox and while it's cool it is still just an analog I/O multitrack recorder which records to USB drives. Jim seems to be looking for a box which takes USB INPUT from an ASIO device and write it out as audio files to a hard drive.

As far as I know there is no such device other than a computer which will do that. You could make a pretty stable, appliance-like computer setup though with a Linux OS and some frontend control scripting.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »

Are there any digital multitrack recorders which work with a USB ASIO input?  I want to stay in the sub $1K range.
Specifically, I want to use the soundcraft MADI/USB card and go straight into a rack recorder using the USB.  The MADI is being used to interface with the mini stagebox. 

As always, thanks for your help and input.

You might consider using a Mac Mini for that and record to the software of your choice.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »

Thank you all.  It confirms what I was coming to as well.  I was hoping to avoid having a loose laptop and all the hook ups.  I am aware of the cymatic.  I do have enough analog outs to mix 6 different groups.  If I go that route, I am leaning towards the Allen&Heath ICE-16.  Any opinions between the two? 

Not real familiar with the Mac mini, I will more into that.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »

It appears that the cymatic has a MADI interface coming out.  Perhaps this will work?..

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:59:17 PM »

Here ya go.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1033929-REG/cymatic_audio_utrack24_24_channel_recorder_player_usb_interface_for.html

To me it looks like Bob picked the right unit for you. The specs say that it records directly to an off the shelf USB drive. No computer needed. And as a bonus it is a computer interface. And that's cheap for a 24x24 96k interface
Unless I read it wrong, this looks like a very cool unit.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:12:31 AM »

I've sent off a email to them asking if the USB would work. 

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »

Update;
I spoke with Tom at cymatic,  the USB interface is for hooking up to a computer with DAW software.  It will not record from the USB out on the Soundcraft MADI/USB interface card. 

He stated that the MADI card will be out soon ( by July). 

BenFranske

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »

Update;
I spoke with Tom at cymatic,  the USB interface is for hooking up to a computer with DAW software.  It will not record from the USB out on the Soundcraft MADI/USB interface card.

Right, I still think there's confusion among some people about what you're asking for. As far as I know there is nothing except a computer that you can attach to your USB output to record audio. It might be possible to custom design something based on a Linux computer and make it very appliance like but at the end of the day it would be a computer in a box, just with a very simple pushbutton UI and being custom would probably be vastly more expensive than you'd like.

Tom Reid

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »

I use an Asus Laptop and Pro Tools.

The Soundcraft SI series has a MADI/USB option card which presents 32 ins and outs to the USB port.  The USB driver tells the laptop how to see 32 patches.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.