ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience with these cheap wirelss DMX units?  (Read 7752 times)

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
Any experience with these cheap wirelss DMX units?
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »

Link to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWM3UBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=673PPC7NHKV0&coliid=I2S1TOGAK4QHAA&psc=1

Any experience with these or similar low end 2.4 gHz wireless DMX?

Application is front and back lighting for a weekend warrior bar band, 8 LED par 56, 2 LED color bars, 4 LED par 38, 2 LED strobes.  Controller is a Chauvet Obey 70, I run a set of chases and just vary the speed, hit manual blackouts to punctuate the songs.

Distances are under 100 feet worst case, usually more like 40 to 50, from controller to where the furthest receiver would be.

Goal is to cut setup and loadout times by not running the DMX from controller to the three groups of lights.  (I have the front lights on fully assembled bars, power and DMX).   The price is appealing, and it doesn't have to meet the demands of theater or highly refined light shows.

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Any experience with these cheap wirelss DMX units?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:36:36 PM »

Link to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWM3UBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=673PPC7NHKV0&coliid=I2S1TOGAK4QHAA&psc=1

Application is front and back lighting for a weekend warrior bar band, 8 LED par 56, 2 LED color bars, 4 LED par 38, 2 LED strobes.  Controller is a Chauvet Obey 70, I run a set of chases and just vary the speed, hit manual blackouts to punctuate the songs.

Distances are under 100 feet worst case, usually more like 40 to 50, from controller to where the furthest receiver would be.

Goal is to cut setup and loadout times by not running the DMX from controller to the three groups of lights.  (I have the front lights on fully assembled bars, power and DMX).   The price is appealing, and it doesn't have to meet the demands of theater or highly refined light shows.
No experience with them but I have often wondered just how well they work. The reviews seem very promising.
I run my lights wirelessly with my iPad through a router but the fixtures still need to be connected to the art net node. It would be nice to have wireless between the router and the fixture. Unsure if that would work though.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:51:20 PM »

My buddy here runs wireless DMX and battery packs on the lighting stands. No cables.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »

I too am very interested if anyone has used this.  I run 4 different trees of lights.  I now run a Digi snake off ethernet, and this would be the last thing I could do to save on set up/tear down/bad cable headaches with daisy chaining the trees together every weekend.  Was going to buy all new cables that are more of the length I need, but this could be about the same cost.

Running Chauvet Showxpress512 and 12 - 12watt RGBAW

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »

Link to Amazon:

Hi Bill,
These look like a knock-off of the Blizzard Wicicles. I used the Wicicles for a while, including changing a number of them to be the newer versions, but I finally had just too many comm drop-out (with line of sight and only 24') so I went with W-DMX. Much more expensive, but I've never looked back and have no regrets.
Best regards,
Bob Charest

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:26:02 PM »

I use the American Dj wireless Dmx for about 150' at a community theater.  The battery operated reciecers go on wagons with battery powered dmx led units.... Works well.  For very reliable and affordable wireless dmx, the city theatrical show baby is my first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »

I use the American Dj wireless Dmx for about 150' at a community theater.  The battery operated reciecers go on wagons with battery powered dmx led units.... Works well.  For very reliable and affordable wireless dmx, the city theatrical show baby is my first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We tour with an LD that uses a Hog3 console. Everytime we come across a provider that is all proud of his new wireless dmx setup, it NEVER works. EVER.

The only one that has actually worked every time we've used it is the ADJ Wifly product. I have no idea why, but it tends to work. None of the other options seem work very well (or at all).
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »

Looks like buying a spool of dmx is in my future.

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »

I have enough cable, looks like I will save the pennies and keep using it.

Buy once, cry once. 

The WiFly looks like the best cost/benefit for my application, but ~$600 for 1 TX and 3 RX is too steep right now.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:25 PM »

The Cool Cable from Blizzard is pretty good and it's cheap. About 100 bucks for 500'.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 01:50:35 PM »

We tour with an LD that uses a Hog3 console. Everytime we come across a provider that is all proud of his new wireless dmx setup, it NEVER works. EVER.

The only one that has actually worked every time we've used it is the ADJ Wifly product. I have no idea why, but it tends to work. None of the other options seem work very well (or at all).
Hi Tim,
My wireless DMX wasn't trustworthy until I got the W-DMX gear. Expensive, but it has NEVER had a problem since I brought it in, even in completely congested wireless (2.4 & 5GHz) environments.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 05:49:52 PM »

Doesn't faze me any. We use cable.

The most expensive wireless in the world is almost as good as a 10 dollar cable!

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »

Doesn't faze me any. We use cable.

The most expensive wireless in the world is almost as good as a 10 dollar cable!
As the saying goes: "The only thing worse than wires is wireless."
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim Woodworth

• Intellasound Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »

We used the WDMX units made by Blizzard (Lightcaster) this past weekend at an event in an arena with lighting trusses flown all over , foggers and Hazers all over the arena and it worked flawlessly. That was with sold out crowds of 7-8000 people every night, so lots of cell phones, and bodies. I didn't use any high powered antennas or anything. Just straight out of the box. From what I hear is line of sight is very important, so we flew the receivers in the trusses and had absolutely no issues.

Tim Woodworth
Intellasound Productions
Verona, WI

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.