ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Protect equipment from excess voltage  (Read 14828 times)

Guy Holt

Re: Protect equipment from excess voltage
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »

I bought my own generator last year to help prevent these problems but it isn't big enough for the rig I used this past weekend.

What generator did you get?

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip
www.screenlghtandgrip.com

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »

What generator did you get?

My local rental yard was retiring all of their Honda ex5500s. I was able to get one a great price.

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 03:23:51 PM »

Hi Mike,
There are not a lot of specs on their site so yes I'd like to talk with them about it. That'd be great.
I'd be interested in the hi-low trip points, reset times and how they operate with floating vs bonded neutrals.

Thanks!

Guy Holt

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 11:24:10 AM »

My local rental yard was retiring all of their Honda ex5500s. I was able to get one a great price.

If it were a Honda EU6500 or EU7000 you could parallel it with another of the same  generator from your local rental house for a combined 100A output.  You can parallel the EX5500s but it is more difficult and you would need to find the same or similar model which is getting harder and harder these days.

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip
www.screenlightandgrip.com

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »

The EMS-HW50C looks very interesting and may provide distro level protection. We are almost exclusively on military bases. Sometime on generators sometimes on house power.
I bought my own generator last year to help prevent these problems but it isn't big enough for the rig I used this past weekend.

I just sent you a PM with the contact info for the President of Progressive Industries. We've just discussed power protection for the Pro-Sound industry, so he's expecting your call. Even though their products are built for RV (camper) protection, they could be a really good solution for your situation.

From the factory the EMS has a 15-second time-out after a voltage problem, which can be changed to 2 minutes and 15 seconds with a jumper. The 2+ minute shutdown is for air conditioner compressors needing time for the freon pressure to drop before starting "hot". The EMS over-voltage trip point is 132 volts, and the low-voltage trip point is 104 volts. Those hi-lo trip points are set in the processor code and can't be changed in the field. However, that seems reasonable for sound system protection. 

Please report back to the forum once you get to talk to him and we'll see if their RV technology is a good fit for the Pro-Sound industry. I think it looks pretty good at first blush.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:47:26 PM by Mike Sokol »

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »

If it were a Honda EU6500 or EU7000 you could parallel it with another of the same  generator from your local rental house for a combined 100A output.  You can parallel the EX5500s but it is more difficult and you would need to find the same or similar model which is getting harder and harder these days.

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip
www.screenlightandgrip.com
Thanks Guy, I hadn't thought about paralleling them.
I could probably pick up a second EX5500 from the same rental yard but it might make sense for us to rent a bigger unit when needed. The 5500 handles our smaller gigs very well plus I use it at the house for backup power.

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 03:22:47 PM »

I just sent you a PM with the contact info for the President of Progressive Industries. We've just discussed power protection for the Pro-Sound industry, so he's expecting your call. Even though their products are built for RV (camper) protection, they could be a really good solution for your situation.

From the factory the EMS has a 15-second time-out after a voltage problem, which can be changed to 2 minutes and 15 seconds with a jumper. The 2+ minute shutdown is for air conditioner compressors needing time for the freon pressure to drop before starting "hot". The EMS over-voltage trip point is 132 volts, and the low-voltage trip point is 104 volts. Those hi-lo trip points are set in the processor code and can't be changed in the field. However, that seems reasonable for sound system protection. 

Please report back to the forum once you get to talk to him and we'll see if their RV technology is a good fit for the Pro-Sound industry. I think it looks pretty good at first blush.

Thanks Mike, I spoke to them today, they were most helpful. It sounds like the EMS-HW50C is a really good choice for my application. I'm going to order one today and install it. Ill report back after I've used in in the field a few times.
Thanks everyone!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »

.... and how they operate with floating vs bonded neutrals.

Not to hi-jack the thread since this has been discussed thoroughly in other threads, but a floating neutral really has no place in a pro audio setup-so for audio use that parameter is really not needed.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »

Not to hi-jack the thread since this has been discussed thoroughly in other threads, but a floating neutral really has no place in a pro audio setup-so for audio use that parameter is really not needed.

Stephen is correct. But note than many portable generators under 5KW have a floating neutral which you'll need to bond to the chassis ground.

I know that the EMS-HW50C will check for a floating neutral and shut down AC power if it detects one. 

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »

Looks like a well made piece of gear. I'll try and install it tonight and test it on shore power. Just moved into a new warehouse so we'll have to install a 50A breaker and outlet first.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.