ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lectrosonic HM Transmitter with TM1  (Read 3917 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Lectrosonic HM Transmitter with TM1
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »

I finally purchased a Lectrosonics TM400 wireless system (R400a and HM transmitter) for my personal test rig.  I have used the R400a/UH400TM in the past (which was also possibly called a TM400 system) and had decent results.   When I paired the HM transmitter up with my TM1 test mic, I received some pretty weird artifacts over the wireless link.  After some research, I came across this thread from 2010.

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/forums/showthread.php?608-Audix-TM1-and-Lectrosonics-TM400

Also there is a note in the HM transmitter manual that says "This polarity adapter may be needed if you are experiencing noise, low output or distortion with measurement microphones such as the Earthworks model M30 or Rode model NTG3."

Needless to say this is quite a disappointment that I can't simply plug the microphone onto the transmitter. Also, the post from 2010 says using a higher frequency block will fix the issue, but I don't really find that to be a viable option in 2015.   

Is any one else having these issues?  Also, has anyone experimented with shorter XLR extenders that fix the issue?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Dan Currie

Re: Lectrosonic HM Transmitter with TM1
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:59:23 PM »

That's a strange one...
Out of curiosity have you tried a short mic cable between the mic and transmitter?  If so did it help?

I use a block 24 tm400, m30 with no issues.  I'll be bumming in a few years and wish I would have gotten a block 23. 

I finally purchased a Lectrosonics TM400 wireless system (R400a and HM transmitter) for my personal test rig.  I have used the R400a/UH400TM in the past (which was also possibly called a TM400 system) and had decent results.   When I paired the HM transmitter up with my TM1 test mic, I received some pretty weird artifacts over the wireless link.  After some research, I came across this thread from 2010.

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/forums/showthread.php?608-Audix-TM1-and-Lectrosonics-TM400

Also there is a note in the HM transmitter manual that says "This polarity adapter may be needed if you are experiencing noise, low output or distortion with measurement microphones such as the Earthworks model M30 or Rode model NTG3."

Needless to say this is quite a disappointment that I can't simply plug the microphone onto the transmitter. Also, the post from 2010 says using a higher frequency block will fix the issue, but I don't really find that to be a viable option in 2015.   

Is any one else having these issues?  Also, has anyone experimented with shorter XLR extenders that fix the issue?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »

Dan,
Yes a short mic cable, or a solid XLR extender does fix the issue. Just not really as streamlined as I would like. Also, I didn't explicitly state it, but I am running on a block 22 unit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:40:16 PM »

It really depends on the design of the microphone, it's preamp stage design and the frequency of transmission (because the case of the microphone acts like an antenna).  Actually I find using the XLR barrel polarity reverse adapter useful in balancing the weight between the microphone and transmitter, but yes, it's one more thing to make sure you bring with you for the gig.  I know that I need to use it with my Earthworks M23's and M30's, but so far haven't needed it for my iSEMcon EMX7150, YMMV!  I have both the new HM and the older UH400TM plug-on transmitters, all three in Block 21.

I found similar challenges using the Line 6 digital wireless with an external phantom power adapter and test microphone.  Finding the right combination of cable adapter/phantom power supply was a real challenge!  Some mics needed a polarity reversal because of the way the mic preamp was designed.  I'm still doing quite a bit of research on this.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:40:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.