ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control for remote speaker  (Read 2014 times)

Nathan Vanderslice

Volume control for remote speaker
« on: April 05, 2015, 10:26:20 PM »

Okay, I think I posted a little something about this in another thread, but can't find it. The bottom line is that I converted a speaker feed from 70v to regular direct feed from amp. I've done that, and now need to control the level from the room. Long and short, I got a lpad and wired it up (at least temporarily) and it worked fine. After making a bracket for the speaker, and mounting it, I had hooked up the wires to the speaker, but didn't test it. The connections are those spring loaded contacts. You know, the red and black plastic thingies, LOL. Any way, first time we ran it after that, the lpad burned up.

Gear: Amp; 10 watt 8 ohm output, speaker; 40 watt 8 ohm, lpad; 8 ohm 100 watts. Now, I was not in the best position to be hooking up the speaker so I could not get a clear view of the wires going in (had to do it by feel). lpad wired per instructions, pins one and two in series with one side of the speaker. The other side was both line and load connected together on pin 3. The only thing I can think of for the toasting was a short between the lpad and speaker. What I can't figure out is that at most there weren't more than 1 or 2 strands that may have gone stray, but I would have thought that if the load was enough to fry the lpad, that it would have burned through the 1 or 2 strands that were astray first. BTW, the temporary set up right now works fine (except for the control in the room). Any ideas on what else could have happened?

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
Re: Volume control for remote speaker
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »

Any chance the L pad could have been hooked up backwards? I'm thinking the line and load could have been reversed.

Nathan Vanderslice

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »

Any chance the L pad could have been hooked up backwards? I'm thinking the line and load could have been reversed.

Well, I don't think so but perhaps I need to clarify things a bit better.

A+                      S+   
Amp                                      Speaker
           A-                       S-

A+ to pin 1
S+ to pin 2
A - & S- to pin 3

Also, what happened was after I finished mounting the speaker and re-connecting the wires. Prior to that, it ran for a good 2 hours without a problem.

Like I said, there could have been a stray strand of wire from one side that touched the other, but I would have thought that the individual strand would have melted and cleared the short before the pot burned.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.