ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SW218V Amplifier  (Read 13081 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Yamaha SW218V Amplifier
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »

BC218 subs and SM80 tops.
The amps were a EDA12K for the subs and a DLA7500 for the SM80s.

The 80s were in stereo up on scaffolding, and the subs were in the middle and summed mono.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justin Smith

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 04:37:44 PM »

A wise man (one of my early mentors) pointed out to me that is far better to use fewer quality pieces of gear-rather than more "cheap stuff".

All you get with more "cheap stuff" is louder sounding crap.

But as Tim pointed out-it may be better to just get more of the same.

If you start to mix and match- you can actually end up with LESS sound at some freq, due to cancellations of different phase responses.

Yes there are exceptions, but you need to measure to be sure.

Gotcha. Well if I happen to get two more of the subs that I already have plus the amp, it would be close to the same price as a restock Mackie SRM1850. So my final question (excluding quality) is what do you think would be best for me in the situation that I have explained? The powered Mackie SRM1850 rated at 800W RMS or two more unpowered Behringer VP1800S rated at 400W RMS? I was looking at the specs of each but I am not sure how to match them to see if they would be "compatible" in terms of canceling each other out. Keep in mind I also already have a crossover for my passive system right now. Any help on this would be great! I was set on buying two more of what I already have but the Mackie SRM1850 looks so nice to me.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »

Gotcha. Well if I happen to get two more of the subs that I already have plus the amp, it would be close to the same price as a restock Mackie SRM1850. So my final question (excluding quality) is what do you think would be best for me in the situation that I have explained? The powered Mackie SRM1850 rated at 800W RMS or two more unpowered Behringer VP1800S rated at 400W RMS? I was looking at the specs of each but I am not sure how to match them to see if they would be "compatible" in terms of canceling each other out. Keep in mind I also already have a crossover for my passive system right now. Any help on this would be great! I was set on buying two more of what I already have but the Mackie SRM1850 looks so nice to me.
I would NEVER consider mixing power and non powered gear together.

WITHOUT proper measurement-knowlege and processing power to be able to control/adjust if needed.

The main reason is that the delay in the powered version is probably unknown.

yes you might could "play around A LOT" and get lucky with getting the different cabinets to "play well together", but in most cases (without proper measurement) it would be a guessing game.

Buy more of what you already have is the best 'known" approach.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justin Smith

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »

I would NEVER consider mixing power and non powered gear together.

WITHOUT proper measurement-knowlege and processing power to be able to control/adjust if needed.

The main reason is that the delay in the powered version is probably unknown.

yes you might could "play around A LOT" and get lucky with getting the different cabinets to "play well together", but in most cases (without proper measurement) it would be a guessing game.

Buy more of what you already have is the best 'known" approach.

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 09:34:34 AM »

The Behringer VP are one of least expensive subs on the market.  You could sell them and use the 300 toward something listenable.  If they are the 400 watt model the drivers are real weak.  The new ones have 800w drivers with a decent magnet structure.  You need to at least reinforce the cabinets with a solid horizontal brace.  The divider in between the vents is very susceptible to breaking.  I would suggest reinforcing that too.  Put some screws in too the staples are inadequate.  Lastly solder the speaker wires.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justin Smith

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »

The Behringer VP are one of least expensive subs on the market.  You could sell them and use the 300 toward something listenable.  If they are the 400 watt model the drivers are real weak.  The new ones have 800w drivers with a decent magnet structure.  You need to at least reinforce the cabinets with a solid horizontal brace.  The divider in between the vents is very susceptible to breaking.  I would suggest reinforcing that too.  Put some screws in too the staples are inadequate.  Lastly solder the speaker wires.

Ok. Thanks for the advice! I know everyone says these are really cheap but I have had both for more than a year now and I move them around a lot and I haven't had any problems at all. Lets hope I dont jinx it.

chuck clark

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »

Ok. Thanks for the advice! I know everyone says these are really cheap but I have had both for more than a year now and I move them around a lot and I haven't had any problems at all. Lets hope I dont jinx it.

Trade the B'ringers in on the Yamaha 218's Justin.  They will represent a real step up from what you have now, just as going from the yamahas to Danley th 118s would be another real step up. The B'ringers are "entry level spkrs"  They serve a purpose of getting you started out with a minimal investment but the problem with entry level equipment is it will not let you to stand out from a crowd, -even a small one.
   The yammers are working class. They allow you to have some fun and make some money. While still fairly common, they will get 'r' done at a lot of smaller parties and clubs.  A critical difference going forward is you can hook them up to an amp that puts an honest 1000+ watts into 4 ohms with less worry about blowing them up!  If after a year or 2 the yammies are paid 4 and your getting a bit of a name for your skills, you can sell them to one of the many bands/djs eager to find a deal on a good set of used double 18 boxes, and start thinking about getting some "world class" subs with serious (137 db+) output below 100 hz.  The best stuff is never cheap so save some coinage everytime you get paid. In the meantime study the coupling and dispersion effects of multiple source arrays so you can begin to understand things like power alleys, nulls, cardioid, end fire and center source deployment of subwoofers.
May you have some fun with more and deeper low end!
Chuck   

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 01:22:16 AM »

I always don't know what to say when someone says they have had no quality problems. My concern is not to run down your stuff but to discourage others from wasting their money.  The construction is very weak sometimes they don't make shipping intact.  The sound is another story,  they don't meet the expectations of the average cover band or decent DJ.   

Gear is an investment in your trade.  You came to a forum comprised of folks that take their craft seriously.  Invest in yourself with training and gear that will allow you to deliver a quality product. 

On the plus side decent gear holds resale very well.

Best of luck and welcome to the forums.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard Turner

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 12:22:32 AM »

Again this is another thread involving 20ish year old technology.

the s218 yamaha sub is an old style low excursion physically big for its volume output box.

If that is all you need fill yer boots and feel good about being the "just take my money" customer the seller is looking for.

welcome to a forum with plenty of crotchety old geezers offering free advice on how not to spend your money. Most were around when all this stuff was new and did offer extreme value for money, currently the 20 year old tech does not.

Don't let me discourage you in the slightest, it might be just what you need for the moment but in under a years time you will likely realize something new and self powered (4 times output 1/2 the size) might have been the answer in the first place and the real power yo have as a consumer is to keep your cash in pocket for future purchases. Financing a purchase or long term lease are reasonably easy things to do these days seeing as credit crunch is over as is hiring a dry rental till you know exactly your needs.

Will a customer oooo and ahhh over your yamaha fur box rig? nope its far more likely to send you packing or tell your band to not hire the guy with the antiques....

rant mode off
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 12:22:32 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.