ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SW218V Amplifier  (Read 13080 times)

Justin Smith

Yamaha SW218V Amplifier
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:51:51 PM »

Hello all!

I should know this by now but I just want to double check before I go spending money. I am planning on getting a Yamaha SW218V subwoofer soon (dual 18's). For this cabinet at 4ohms, the RMS is 600W, program is 1200W, and peak is 2400W. I want to keep my amplifiers consistent. I currently have a Behringer EP2000 and a Behringer EP4000. I am looking to get another Behringer EP4000 to power this cabinet. For this amp, the RMS @ 1% THD (sine wave), bridged mode is 2400W at 4ohms and the peak power for bridged mode is 4000W. For 20Hz - 20kHz @ 0.1% THD, both channels driven it is 950W at 4ohms and 1400W peak power. Is this amp too powerful or would it work okay? I know the "general rules" for picking the right amplifier for speakers but I always forget if I should follow RMS power or program power for the subs.

Thanks!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Yamaha SW218V Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 01:43:28 PM »

Hello all!

I should know this by now but I just want to double check before I go spending money. I am planning on getting a Yamaha SW218V subwoofer soon (dual 18's). For this cabinet at 4ohms, the RMS is 600W, program is 1200W, and peak is 2400W. I want to keep my amplifiers consistent. I currently have a Behringer EP2000 and a Behringer EP4000. I am looking to get another Behringer EP4000 to power this cabinet. For this amp, the RMS @ 1% THD (sine wave), bridged mode is 2400W at 4ohms and the peak power for bridged mode is 4000W. For 20Hz - 20kHz @ 0.1% THD, both channels driven it is 950W at 4ohms and 1400W peak power. Is this amp too powerful or would it work okay? I know the "general rules" for picking the right amplifier for speakers but I always forget if I should follow RMS power or program power for the subs.

Thanks!

Quit thinking so hard and go make some noise.

Yes, the EP4000 will work. Although it might not be enough to drive the cab to 100% performance, idk. I've heard those 4000's were rebadged 2500's with new "creative" specs.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Justin Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:48:45 PM »

Quit thinking so hard and go make some noise.

Yes, the EP4000 will work. Although it might not be enough to drive the cab to 100% performance, idk. I've heard those 4000's were rebadged 2500's with new "creative" specs.

Haha. Gotcha, thank you! I haven't had a problem with either of my Behringer amps yet, hopefully it stays like that. So for future knowledge, should I match amp up with the sub's RMS or program noise?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:04:04 PM »

Haha. Gotcha, thank you! I haven't had a problem with either of my Behringer amps yet, hopefully it stays like that. So for future knowledge, should I match amp up with the sub's RMS or program noise?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+amplifier+power+do+i+need&l=1
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Justin Smith

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »

How about 1 higher quality, smaller sub vs 1 larger, cheap one?  Maybe powered?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Justin Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 12:50:08 AM »

I really want to do that but I currently already have all passive equipment and I am not looking to change at the moment. I will in the future but now is the time. I was looking at the Mackie SRM1850 but again, that is powered and I have all passive equipment.

Justin Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:44 AM »

What brands would you recommend? Would Mackie and JBL be part of them? It seems like every sub I look at that aren't those two brands get called cheap and bad quality. Unfortunately, those two brands aren't really in my price range right now, being a college student.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:22:20 AM »

It all depends on what you are trying to do with the sub.

Rock? DJ? Bluegrass? EDM?

Justin Smith

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »

It all depends on what you are trying to do with the sub.

Rock? DJ? Bluegrass? EDM?

Mostly EDM for college parties and what not. So it may sound bad, but I'm looking for more of a punch with the subs rather than clear quality if that makes sense?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.