ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Measurement Interfaces  (Read 32996 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Measurement Interfaces
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2021, 05:25:40 AM »

Other than the internal PSU, have you taken a look at the Roland Octa-Capture? It checks all the rest of your boxes very nicely.

;D

-Russ

I know :P

I wish the Octa Capture had internal PSU.  This would be a no-brainer, just buy another one if that was the case...

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »

I know :P

I wish the Octa Capture had internal PSU.  This would be a no-brainer, just buy another one if that was the case...

Behringer XR18 makes alot of sense to me for that many mics...
I use the x-32 rack then, but wish i had the smaller XR18 for measurements.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 08:23:39 AM by Mark Wilkinson »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2021, 11:54:02 AM »

Behringer XR18 makes alot of sense to me for that many mics...
I use the x-32 rack then, but wish i had the smaller XR18 for measurements.

Mhm, I've looked at the XR18, not the best form factor for rack mounting, but it would certainly work for measurements.

So far the best option I've found in a more rack mount friendly format is a MOTU 8M.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2021, 02:00:39 PM »

We have two XR18s each in its own small Pelican with a wifi AP and assorted cables. Great little USB interfaces with a mixer thrown in as an after thought. They go to every show now as the emergency crash dive mixer.

Mhm, I've looked at the XR18, not the best form factor for rack mounting, but it would certainly work for measurements.

So far the best option I've found in a more rack mount friendly format is a MOTU 8M.

John Schalk

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »

We have two XR18s each in its own small Pelican with a wifi AP and assorted cables. Great little USB interfaces with a mixer thrown in as an after thought. They go to every show now as the emergency crash dive mixer.
I am looking for a measurement interface that can double as a simple DSP so I can try different speaker configurations while I work on my measurement skills.  I need the DSP features because I sold both of mine several years ago, and my Soundcraft Performer 2 doesn't have the ability to make X-over filters.  Obviously, the X32 Rack has X-over filter options on the Matrix sends, but what about the X/M 12 & 18?  From what I read in the manual, it doesn't look like they do, but maybe it got added later?  I don't really want to spend ~$250 on an inexpensive DSP since it's only going to be used for testing and practice.  I'd rather put that money towards something that I would use such as a rack mount mixer that could go to shows as the emergency backup too.  I'm open to suggestions as I don't know much about any of the small digital mixers from QSC, Mackie, and Presonus.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »

I am looking for a measurement interface that can double as a simple DSP so I can try different speaker configurations while I work on my measurement skills.  I need the DSP features because I sold both of mine several years ago, and my Soundcraft Performer 2 doesn't have the ability to make X-over filters.  Obviously, the X32 Rack has X-over filter options on the Matrix sends, but what about the X/M 12 & 18?  From what I read in the manual, it doesn't look like they do, but maybe it got added later?  I don't really want to spend ~$250 on an inexpensive DSP since it's only going to be used for testing and practice.  I'd rather put that money towards something that I would use such as a rack mount mixer that could go to shows as the emergency backup too.  I'm open to suggestions as I don't know much about any of the small digital mixers from QSC, Mackie, and Presonus.

If you want an inexpensive DSP to play with... Find a Biamp Nexia/Audia on ebay. They have a hard time giving those away, and they have more functionality then a driverack.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 04:48:11 PM »

No, the XR18 will not see the requirement of building 4th order filters in it's channel or output EQs. That option appears to only exist on the X32 platform.  If you're using a Mac a used Metric Halo 2882+DSP would do the job in a small package but even used they aren't $250. I don't know of any computer audio interfaces with DSP in that price range.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »

If you want an inexpensive DSP to play with... Find a Biamp Nexia/Audia on ebay. They have a hard time giving those away, and they have more functionality then a driverack.

+1. I have a Nexia SP (which is the 4 line in, 8 line out model) and it's absolutely perfect for learning about IIR-based DSP. It's also just a handy tool to have (basically an audio Swiss Army knife).

-Russ

Guillermo Sanchez

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2022, 09:57:17 PM »

I am looking for a measurement interface that can double as a simple DSP so I can try different speaker configurations while I work on my measurement skills.

Have a look at the miniDSP  range for a simple DSP to hone your skills. Not an audio interface, but they even have cheap models with FIR filters.

About multichannel interfaces, in my opinion the Octacapture rules. It is very compact, extremely sturdy (mine had been with me for over a decade and had travelled with me on a backpack all around the world and still is going strong). Granted, the PSU is big, but you can substitute it for a equivalent, smaller, newer technology one)

I just ordered an Audient EVO 8 as a backup-small interface for travel. Will comment after living with it for a while. It looks promising as a cheap 4 channel interface.

Every year or so I look on the market for something which checks all the boxes to get a newer interface, and the closest I had seen is to buy another Octacapture as you can link them and use it as a bigger interface (awesome to do indoor arenas and complex theaters tuning.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 10:03:42 PM by Guillermo Sanchez »

John Schalk

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »

Have a look at the miniDSP  range for a simple DSP to hone your skills. Not an audio interface, but they even have cheap models with FIR filters.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I do have my eye on a miniDSP HD.  I'd probably have one already except that they don't sell a model with XLR I/O that also includes FIR filters.  And I finally took the plunge and bought a used X32 Compact.  Everywhere I work has an X or M 32, so it just made sense to me to switch to the platform that I mix on 90% of the time.  My next decision for my budget audio measurement rig is to decide which way to go for more channels; REW Pro or Open Sound Meter.  I'm using REW now and have gotten comfortable with the software, but Open Sound Meter can do live data captures so I should probably try it out before paying for the "Pro" license for REW.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.