ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SysTune Delay Analysis - alignments without relying on phase interpretation  (Read 16100 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

SysTune 1.2 is in Beta (Beta 3 at the moment), with the release anticipated for the end of summer.  The most significant upgrade IMO is Delay Analysis.  Here's how it works:

SysTune uses a pair of stored overlays (stored measurements), crunches them, and offers delay times that address these conditions:

1.  Max summation in overlap area, positive polarity between subsystems.
2.  Max summation in overlap area, negative polarity between subsystems.
3.  Flattest summation in overlap area, positive polarity.
4.  An opportunity to enter your own value and inspect the results.

Note it is NOT necessary to insert a receive delay for either subsystem to be aligned.  "Subsystems" could be main PA, front fills, subs, out fills, whatever.  As always, be confident you have a good measurement before storing the overlay.

Then, open up the Virtual EQ section of SysTune.  The Delay Analysis section appears there.  For this example, my computer computes the values in less than a second (2.8 GHz dual core).  The overlays were captured at the Ultra Music Festival in March, Carl Cox tent, DAS AERO 50 with accompanying subs.

In this example, I populated the "Custom" box with the value ST suggested for Max-Positive summation, and checked the negative polarity box to demonstrate the difference.

See the notes on the attachments to understand what is happening.

On the second attachment, I displayed the relative phase of the subsystems requiring alignment and used SysTune Virtual EQ delay feature.  The second attachment is without alignment delay (bypassed), and the third is with the delay engaged.  Observe the phase traces after inserting the suggested delay value for max summation, positive polarity.

I included the before and after phase traces for confirmation.  In reality, using phase to accomplish this task _for field alignments_ is just a means to an end.  The "end" is merely a number, some number to be input into a delay device to accomplish the alignment, "accomplish" being somewhat loosely defined.  Here, the computer does the heavy lifting (imagine that :-) and by selecting any of these suggested values, or using the custom box to input other values, the actual summation can be immediately visualized.

Testing continues, with Beta 4 forthcoming.  This is a free update for SysTune users.

After the update is released, if you wish you can sign up for the free 30 day trial and test drive it.   Find it at

http://systune.afmg.eu/

In my personal situation, not only will this save precious time in 'under the gun' situations, I am pretty sure I can drop 4-5 hours from my training class.   For beginners, if phase interpretation is not required to perform an alignment, the discussion of not only phase but IR analysis can be saved for a more advanced class.  IOW, I should be able to get beginning students doing alignments in one day, saving the second day for practice.

Edit to include ST URL.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:49:50 PM by Doug Fowler »
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Alfredo Prada

Thank you for the information, this is a significant advancement in measurement software features, are there any other features for the 1.2 release? Also just to clarify ,is the delay analysis for the pro version only or for the regular Systune?

thanks!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

Thank you for the information, this is a significant advancement in measurement software features, are there any other features for the 1.2 release? Also just to clarify ,is the delay analysis for the pro version only or for the regular Systune?

thanks!

Hi Alfredo:

I agree this is very significant advancement.

Other features:

Improved frequency resolution for TFC Window.
Signal Generator locks to FFT window size (very convenient).
Improvements to SSA Filter.
bug fixes, of course.
Improved Web Interface, still under development but quite promising.

Delay Analysis will be available in the Standard version, not just the Pro version.

This is from the Beta release notes.

BTW the Delay Analysis module is customizable re: center frequencies, bandwidth, etc.  I will post some more examples soon.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.