ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Current powered 12" tops  (Read 22086 times)

David Hayes

Re: Current powered 12" tops
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 08:32:45 AM »

Get the DSRs.  You won't be sorry.  And yeah, you can get them almost anywhere for $750/box, but I would call/email Mike Pyle. He's a great guy and will hook you up.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

Another vote for the DSR's.  While there is little difference on papaer between the K12, DXR12 and DSR112, in the real world there is quite a bit of difference in sound quality as well as sound output.

The DSR's also have a professional grade finish so they will stay looking great much longer than the others in this price range.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »

Another vote for the DSR's.  While there is little difference on papaer between the K12, DXR12 and DSR112, in the real world there is quite a bit of difference in sound quality as well as sound output.

The DSR's also have a professional grade finish so they will stay looking great much longer than the others in this price range.
I've wanted to demo the DSRs for a while, but no opportunity yet.  Any idea how the DSR112 compares to QSC HPR122i wrt sound quality?  I know it's a rather subjective topic.  Either gets plenty loud for my purposes, but I like that the Yams weigh 13 lbs less.  Somewhat apprehensive about the composite material used on the DSR cabinet vs. birch, but perhaps it's a non-issue.

David Hayes

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »

DSRs also have a 7 year warranty.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »

I've wanted to demo the DSRs for a while, but no opportunity yet.  Any idea how the DSR112 compares to QSC HPR122i wrt sound quality?  I know it's a rather subjective topic.  Either gets plenty loud for my purposes, but I like that the Yams weigh 13 lbs less.  Somewhat apprehensive about the composite material used on the DSR cabinet vs. birch, but perhaps it's a non-issue.

Unfortunately I have not directly A/B'd the HPR122i to the DSR's.  I have heard a group that had them in the local area, but that was some time ago.

I have A/B'd the DSR112's to the KW122's and K12's.  I thought the DSR112 sounded better than both of those speakers.  DSR112>KW122>K12.... YMMV.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »

The DSR's  and the Electro Voice ETX line are the only MI, semi pro level boxes ( market wise anyway ) that uses FIR tuning. The DSR is a little over $100 cheaper on average though and to the best of my knowledge is teh only one using mutli band compression? The DSR also boasts a 2" driver for the highs. This is not so much a big deal, but is one of the biggest in it's class. The DSR does not have a dual angle pole cup, but the ETX does. The DSR is also a little bit lighter, by about 10lbs. The 7 year warranty of the DSR's is also hard to beat.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 11:47:08 PM »

+1 on the DSR's... I LOVE mine...Mike Pyle is your man.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »

The DSR's  and the Electro Voice ETX line are the only MI, semi pro level boxes ( market wise anyway ) that uses FIR tuning. The DSR is a little over $100 cheaper on average though and to the best of my knowledge is teh only one using mutli band compression? The DSR also boasts a 2" driver for the highs. This is not so much a big deal, but is one of the biggest in it's class. The DSR does not have a dual angle pole cup, but the ETX does. The DSR is also a little bit lighter, by about 10lbs. The 7 year warranty of the DSR's is also hard to beat.
JBL's SRX800P series is now shipping, and has FIR tuning.  I haven't heard the JBLs against the DSR series, but I have heard them against the ETX line and they sound good.  The HF driver has a 3" voice coil, and the box has the dual angle pole socket, among lots of other good qualities.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 04:28:02 PM »

It's a fabulous time for speaker technology.  EV and JBL have stepped up, and others are sure to follow.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 04:40:24 PM »

It's a fabulous time for speaker technology.  EV and JBL have stepped up, and others are sure to follow.

How does the ETX line compare to the old standard QRx?  If it does not meet or exceed the performance of the QRx then EV has not stepped up.  Adding FIR processing does not necessarily mean the product performs better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 04:40:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.