ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Current powered 12" tops  (Read 22085 times)

Stephen Kirby

Current powered 12" tops
« on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:38 AM »

Hello, previous member Steve Kirby here.  Been out of action for awhile.  The homebuilt line arrays and stands are long gone and I'm just doing small gigs with a pair of K10s and CuboSubs loaded with a pair of the LW1400s I had in front loaded cabs previously when needed.

Thinking about upgrading the tops to 12" based and using the K10s for small gigs or as monitors.  Since the CuboSub cabs are more efficient and I still have the Crest Pro9200 to drive them, I can do a bit more than the K10s will handle.

In my price range are the K12s, Yamaha DXR12s and have been looking into the soon to be released EV EKX12s.  I know a couple of top shelf keyboard players who replaced their K10s with DXR10s and said they have more guts.  Have heard a pair used in a small room as mains and they sounded good.

Went down to banjo hut this evening just to get an idea and compare the Yammies with the higher end ETX12s.  The EV's sounded like JBLs to me.  Gone was that nice warm sound of the passive Sx300s.  Very forward and in your face compared to the Yamahas.  With that kind of midrange horn sound you associate with a large outdoor concert.

My issue with the QSCs is the pattern.  Very noticeable change off axis.  The EV's were better and the Yamahas much better still.  30 degrees off axis and they sounded the same.

I searched here for any info on the EKXs and just found a thread grumbling about them not having PowerCons (I still have all my PowerCon distro stuff so it would be nice but not mission critical for what I'm doing now).  Has anyone actually heard these cabs?  How similar to the ETX are they?

It really seems like the DXR12s are my best option.  Sound I like and proven reliability.  Just that they're an older design and I don't know what other options exist in that price range.  On paper the EKX should blow them away.  But paper doesn't mean much with all the spec hype and if they also have a hyped up "loud" sound.

Lyle Williams

Re: Current powered 12" tops
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:39:39 AM »

I A/B'd PRX700 against ETX before buying ETX recently.

I haven't seen or heard an EKX yet.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:09 AM »

Before you buy the DXR, contact Mike Pyle and get a price on the DSR112. Members who own them seem to really love them.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »

I A/B'd PRX700 against ETX before buying ETX recently.

I haven't seen or heard an EKX yet.

EKX has a May 2015 release date.

For me the EKX looks like it'll be a replacement to the ELX down the road.  The EKX is using the ELX drivers and a DSP amp and ETX horn lens.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »

I was in a similar situation between the DXR12's and k12's.  My gut told me to go with k12's but I wanted to try something cheaper.

I am using them primarily for monitors and mains for smaller events. 

At first I went with the dxr12's.  They are no doubt great speakers.  Very smooth sounding especially when doing music playback.  When I auditioned them live I was less impressed.  I felt they didn't have the punch and cut I was desiring for live sound.  Keep in mind I think they are great speakers and the mixer section is very good.

I was able to a/b the dxr12 and k12 side by side and run them through several tests.  Here is what I took from it as well as several others in the room.

- music playback: it was close.  The DXR's were very clear but the k12's were as clear with more body.
- Vocals and live sound - K12 had much more punch and cut.  Vocals were much more present and instruments cut more. 

Keep in mind both speakers were run in flat as possible settings.  The dxr is more scooped to me.  Great for the untrained ear and may sound better at first with program music, but the k12 is better suited for live sound imo.  More mids are present and it shows with vocal and instrument sound reproduction. I found the limiters came on sooner in the dxr as well.

The dxr's immediately went back in favor of 4 k12's. 

Initially, the yamaha's with covers saved me $500.  As a long term investment, I felt the price was worth it for the k12's  Over a few years the difference is negligible. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not bashing the dxr series.  They are amazing speakers.  For live sound I just give the nod to the qsc's. 

Some things I like about the dxr12's are both sides are setup for monitor use, and the covers for them run about $40 and are top notch and a tight fit.  I'd prefer the dxr covers over the qsc totes.  I do prefer having a top handle on the qsc.  The dxf does not. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:37:09 AM by Mike Santarelli »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 01:22:13 PM »

DSR112

Just do it. It's the best of the best of the best that you can find on the street. You would have to pay many, many sheckels to get anything better.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Hayes

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »

DSR112

Just do it. It's the best of the best of the best that you can find on the street. You would have to pay many, many sheckels to get anything better.

Absolutely true.  And they can be had for $750 a piece.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »

Absolutely true.  And they can be had for $750 a piece.
Where?

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 12:19:59 AM »

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:40:08 PM by Robert Piascik »
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 01:17:54 AM »

Since they don't have the DSR at the local Banjo Hut I've been trying to read data sheets to see what the difference is.  Both data sheets are not written on the same basis.  Power ratings are not qualified as "dynamic" or RMS on the DSR so you can't see if it's a 200W difference or 800W.  Which would make a difference.  It shows a 2" titanium driver and lower crossover by 400Hz but the type of diaphragm on the DXR isn't listed.  Aluminum?  Phenolic?  The polar plots are similar in spite of the lower crossover point, at least in the horizontal.  The FR graphs show the DSR as hotter by 5-6dB from 5-10k.  At least there's no 3-4k bump.  But that 5-7k thing spec's similarly to the ETX that I didn't like the sound of.  I recognize that "presence" sounds like it "cuts" better.  But I find it fatiguing and can always eq it in if necessary.  Neutral always seems to me to be easier to work with and carries better than peaky things that stick out.  At least the Yamahas are fairly smooth in how they go about the tilt.

I also like the dual angle mount on the DXR.  Used it often on my QSCs.

But I don't want to have buyers remorse for saving a couple hundred bucks and having something that is significantly compromised.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 01:17:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.