ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Current powered 12" tops  (Read 22083 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: Current powered 12" tops
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 08:07:32 PM »

I did side by side comparision with ETX, PRX700, and DSR.  I haven't mentioned the DSR previously because I'm sure something was very wrong with the unit I listened to.

ETX was especially better than the PRX when getting flogged.

I would expect QRX with good crossover/delay to sound  better than ETX.  But ETX packages things up into an idiot-proof (peak and thermal limited) active at a lower price point.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »

How does the ETX line compare to the old standard QRx?  If it does not meet or exceed the performance of the QRx then EV has not stepped up.  Adding FIR processing does not necessarily mean the product performs better.
Why the negativity?  ETX sounded good to me. I've never heard QRx, but I definitely preferred the sound of the SRX800P series to the passive SRX700 series (my experience with SRX700 is pre-V5) and the ETX was different than SRX800 but still good.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 01:26:59 AM »

Why the negativity?  ETX sounded good to me. I've never heard QRx, but I definitely preferred the sound of the SRX800P series to the passive SRX700 series (my experience with SRX700 is pre-V5) and the ETX was different than SRX800 but still good.

I really liked the EV QRx series and would have loved to upgrade to a powered version a few years back.  I haven't heard very favorable reviews for the ETX.  People still seem to recommend the Yamaha DSR 112 over the ETX-12P which tells me the ETX could be better. 

I may harbor a touch of bitterness toward EV since I bought a set of the ELX 112P's to use as monitors when they first came out.  Those don't sound bad but the build quality is poor (controls, paint, etc) and they don't compare to the DSR.  There weren't nearly as many options then as there are today.

I would expect QRX with good crossover/delay to sound  better than ETX.  But ETX packages things up into an idiot-proof (peak and thermal limited) active at a lower price point.

I just think EV should have aimed a little higher and went for a real QRx replacement.  Maybe the ETX is close enough.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »

I really like my QRX112/75 rig with a PRX618XLF subwoofer and MixWiz for live vocals and between set DJing (Cuban timba), but my aging back is not so happy lugging the rack and 60 lb passive tops. The QRX rig is actually a little larger than I need for the kind of music we do in small NYC clubs. So I bought an ETX10P and Yorkville LS720P sub in an effort to downsize and simplify from the QRX rig. My goal was to get equivalent sound quality to the QRX at a slightly lower SPL. I had already compared the EV ZX3, EV ZXA1, PRX612M, RCF310A, and RCF412A to the QRX and only the RCF412A came close in sound quality. I am using the EV DSP presets for the QRX, which make it sound just a little bit smoother to my ear. None of the others have a built in crossover, so when the ETX line came out I was very excited to be able to use the built in crossover and leave my DSP and amp rack at home.
Unfortunately, I have not found the ETX10P to be close enough to the QRX sound for my taste. The QRX has a much better, more natural sounding horn and, not unexpectedly, better mid bass. The ETX can partially make up for the mid bass deficiency with the built in PEQ (at a cost of lower max SPL) but the highs are just not as clear and smooth as the QRX. Also, I prefer at least 2 handles with 1 on top, and the ETX has only one side handle. It does appear well built and the PEQ and crossovers are easy to use although not networkable. I have not heard the DSR112, although without a built-in crossover it would not allow me to completely dispense with my rack. Maybe when I get a digital mixer...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:56 PM »

the ETX has only one side handle.
You know, it IS possible to carry speaker cabinets without using the handles. This is exactly how I tote my PRX. Single handles make for an awkward carry, so I use none of them - one hand under the bottom, and one near the top to stabilize. It's easier on the back, too.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Scott Bolt

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »

The DSR's have a single handle on top .... which is convenient for carrying 2 at a time, but I miss the handle when I am putting them on poles.

As far as the DSR not having a cross-over, it does have a HPF set at 110Hz.

I don't use it though since the PRX XLF HPF output is set at 90Hz which would leave a hole between 90 and 110Hz.  I run the tops in full range with the XLF handling the bottom end and providing the cross-over output HF to the tops.

If you are using a matched pair of tops and subs, this might not be that big a deal ..... since one would hope that the manufacturer would have matched the cross-overs to their own speakers.

I have often wondered how this works when a single manufacturer makes a sub, a 3 way 15" top, a 2 way 15" top, a 2 way 12" top and a 2 way 10" top.  Surely the sub can't work ideally with all these speakers with a single cross-over point?

David Hayes

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »

HPF on the DSR is actually set at 120.   

Scott Bolt

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »

HPF on the DSR is actually set at 120.
My bad.

Then it makes even less sense to me.  The mid lows on the DSR are fantastic.  Feeding them with >90Hz works wonderfully IME.  I think you would lose out on some of the speakers best capabilities if you limited them to >120Hz.  Of course you may get even more volume out of them if you did that..... not that I have ever had any need for more volume from them.  They easily handle a single XLF per side and to my estimation could just about match up evenly with 2 XLF's per side .... even handling at the lower cross-over point.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »

I have often wondered how this works when a single manufacturer makes a sub, a 3 way 15" top, a 2 way 15" top, a 2 way 12" top and a 2 way 10" top.  Surely the sub can't work ideally with all these speakers with a single cross-over point?

I guess it's just one of many design goals for speaker designers: "must meet up phase/delay-wise in the vicinity of our other products"

But it will be a tradeoff.  The ETX (and I'm sure other new stuff) let you program the subs and the tops to know what each other are.  If the designers weren't asleep they should fit nicely together.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »

The DSR's have a single handle on top .... which is convenient for carrying 2 at a time, but I miss the handle when I am putting them on poles.

As far as the DSR not having a cross-over, it does have a HPF set at 110Hz.

I don't use it though since the PRX XLF HPF output is set at 90Hz which would leave a hole between 90 and 110Hz.  I run the tops in full range with the XLF handling the bottom end and providing the cross-over output HF to the tops.

If you are using a matched pair of tops and subs, this might not be that big a deal ..... since one would hope that the manufacturer would have matched the cross-overs to their own speakers.

I run mine the same way Scott (DSR12, JBL PRX718XLF) I never tried using the HPF in the DSR's. I like how they sound together.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.