ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lawyer who can help with a non compete  (Read 9817 times)

Teddy Murphy

Re: Lawyer who can help with a non compete
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »

Exactly what Mark C.  said.  We got it worked out.  He owns several other businesses and is getting up in age and wants out of owning the production side.  He still wants to freelance and do some video recording. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »

Distilling it down, "he agrees to not deny you business/revenue by competing with you" in exchange for value received, namely the money he gets for selling his business to you. Depending on the nature of your/his business this can also be limited geographically.

Why is he selling? What does he want to do? If he wants to get back to what he was doing before a non-compete will be the hard way to prevent him. 

JR

As in any contract consideration must be provided by both parties.  A portion of the sale must be allocated to the non-compete.  Then the contract at least has merit and is not void on the surface due to lack of consideration.

There are also tax consequences as to how non-competes and good will funds are allocated.  Someone usually sells a business because they want to get out of it, not go right back in.  That alone would red flag me.

From a tax perspective a basic asset purchase has always been more favorable for me.

This is advice from someone who has ran and acquired businesses for 30 years it is not legal advice.  Merely talking points for you to discuss with your attorney.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard Turner

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 01:13:25 AM »

Generally most non competes come down to a gentleman's agreement anyway.

How big of an area and how much time are you looking for?
your town, county, state?
six months, a year, lifetime?

are you looking for the seller to never work in the industry? never own controlling share in a similar company? never teach what he knows?

Generally 2 years and not in same region is usually fair to both sides.

Just  guess you are likely buying some dated equipment and an existing customer base? If you aren't keeping the seller on for a transition period what value are you getting over having all new stuff and having him ride off into the sunset and close up shop in his own time frame?

Just some points to ponder, possibly far off base.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »

Why not bring him on as a Manager or Something?
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Teddy Murphy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »

He is staying on temporarily during the change over.  He agreed to two years in our specific area.  As I said before, he has several other businesses that he wants to devote his time to.  Including a guitar store (can't say music because our territory doesn't move drums or PA equipment that doesn't say Peavey on it, don't ask why, we don't know.  It's backwoods USA.) His gear is fairly new and good trucks come with the deal.  He is giving me his contacts and when he comes on during the transition, he has agreed to take me to meet his clients, even though I know most of them from all of the shows that I subbed for him last year, I just never introduced myself as owning my own company, just that I was there to do the show for him.  I truly believe that he doesn't want back in anytime soon because he is investing the money into buying a new facility for his boutique guitar shop since his current one has now been classified as being in a flood plane.

claude cascioli

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 05:44:05 PM »

for starters make sure you know the guy well enough and be sure that the accounts are still in place. legal or not a contract is a contract . just let the seller know that you want him and have his lawyer  meet with your lawyer and make clear to your lawyer what you want. also get in touch with the reps you deal with let them know you brought his company this way that rep wont sell to him as easily.also it wont hurt if your lawyer knows the local judges 

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 05:31:39 AM »

legal or not a contract is a contract
Not sure how it works where you are, but over here under English law, a contract which requires an illegal act is invalid.

Steve.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »

Not sure how it works where you are, but over here under English law, a contract which requires an illegal act is invalid.

Steve.

In this case, I believe the term "legal" (incorrectly) refers to whether a lawyer wrote it up or not. Is a classic misnomer; as all signed contracts, even those written without a lawyer's involvement are legal and binding.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 07:40:26 AM »

In this case, I believe the term "legal" (incorrectly) refers to whether a lawyer wrote it up or not. Is a classic misnomer; as all signed contracts, even those written without a lawyer's involvement are legal and binding.

Even when one or more terms is not lawful?

Steve.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »

Even when one or more terms is not lawful?

Steve.

No contract can force someone to knowingly commit an illegal act.

But a signed contract is a legally binding agreement between two parties whether written by an attorney or not.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.