ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad habits  (Read 8332 times)

Michael Gorecki

Bad habits
« on: March 28, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »

I can't stand when people do this. I'm stuck in the crows nest trying to get enough volume out of this mic and fighting feedback while people just step further and further away from the microphone. Seriously who does this.

They requested a handheld mic for the service and not one person has taken the mic off the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Bad habits
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »

I feel your pain because I've been in your shoes. Certainly it occurs when non-professionals hear their own voice and get intimidated. Nothing you can do until someone wants to actually speak into the mic. When they look at you and ask you to turn it up I sometimes have walked right up, taken the mic from them and checked it right in front of everyone so they can see there is plenty of volume if you speak into the mic.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »

So how about, you know, taking a few minutes with the presenters *before* the event starts? Educate them about proper mic technique, verify how the microphone will be used, and do a mic check to verify you've got some gain before feedback available, tweak EQ, and get the presenter used to whatever part of the PA comes back at them.

If that's not a regular part of your pre-service routine, then I submit to you that the speakers aren't the only people with bad habits.

Hope I'm not being too snarky here, but it's ultimately our responsibility as sound techs to educate the presenters and give them every opportunity to be successful.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »

So how about, you know, taking a few minutes with the presenters *before* the event starts? Educate them about proper mic technique, verify how the microphone will be used, and do a mic check to verify you've got some gain before feedback available, tweak EQ, and get the presenter used to whatever part of the PA comes back at them.

If that's not a regular part of your pre-service routine, then I submit to you that the speakers aren't the only people with bad habits.

Hope I'm not being too snarky here, but it's ultimately our responsibility as sound techs to educate the presenters and give them every opportunity to be successful.

Excellent response

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 01:08:56 AM »

It's a little hard to meet with people in an open forum style environment when they're not even sure if they're going to be speaking when they walk through the doors.

Alongside the fact that I'm locked in a crows nest about 50 seconds away from the stage and have no one to monitor anything while I fix the issues.

It's easy to suggest common sense when not given all the information. That was my bad.

Chris Nixon

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »

How did the mic get there? Is it one of those ones where they think they don't need it and set it off to the side?

She's clearly standing at the lectern, so it's the mic, not her, that's in the wrong place.

Chris

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »

OK, here goes.

Bad thread title.  It would appear that the problem is with people who seldom or never use microphones, so I doubt if they have "habits".  Occasional users cannot really said to have "habits"...tendencies, maybe, but not habits.

It also appears from the picture that it is a memorial service.  I wouldn't get all uptight about instructing grieving family and friends in proper mic usage.  It's not the time or place.  If there are problems with regular users during regular services, then work with them to attain mutual satisfaction and "good habits".

Otherwise, live with it.  It is what it is and the sound persons priorities come in WAY down the line compared to the aggrieved.

My $0.02...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »

That's exactly my stance on it dick. A large part of the post was due to in the moment irritation. I figured going into this I was going to get some backlash from you guys.

You are correct in the type of even and luckily this service was small and even without a mic most speakers were heard by the 30-40 people in attendance. However we had a similar situation last week that I wasn't here for . Every seat was filled in the sanctuary (300~) and they had overflow seating out in the entry area which has TVs that have audio and media shout pumped to them.

Atleast they got to hear the slide shows.

On a slightly related note do you think having a 965 capsule would help in this situation? We have 4 ch of EW100 G2.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:05:07 PM »

Michael...

I would consider installing a low-profile or "invisible" mic in the lectern itself.  Use a good wireless unit to get the signal out and you'll have something they can't see.  You'll need to work out a way to place it so that scripts/papers/books don't obscure it, but it can be done with minimal addition or redesign.

Then you use the mic on the stand as a placebo to make them feel comfortable. 

Good luck.

DR
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »

How about using a boom and positioning the mic in the middle of the podium. In the shot, that mic is too far away. Dicks suggestion is even better though you may have to buy a mic.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.