ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL's New SRX800 Series Subs - How do they compare?  (Read 51142 times)

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
JBL's New SRX800 Series Subs - How do they compare?
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am wondering who all has heard the new JBL SRX818SP and SRX828SP. I have been looking into getting some smaller subs that I can carry by myself for smaller gigs (smaller wedding DJs, some bar gigs, etc) and am looking for something in the $1k-$1500 range for price (though I plan on getting a pair). I have previously been thinking about the KW181 as I have some K12's that I use for some smaller gigs. I have 4 SRX728s that I use for larger gigs and have really enjoyed those subs-though I wish they extended lower than they do.

Anyways, what I am interested to know is how the SRX800 series stack up against their predecessors in the SRX700 series. Perhaps a fair comparison could be the SRX818SP vs the VRX918SP (which is basically the SRX718 powered from what I understand).

Does anyone have any experience with these subs? How do they sound? How do they match up against a similar line like the KW series, etc.

Thank you all in advance for any input you may have.  :)

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
Re: JBL's New SRX800 Series Subs - How do they compare?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »

To add, I am also interested in everyone's thoughts of the SRX828SP vs the SRX728S. Though I am more interested in the smaller single 18 at this point.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »

There's a long thread going on in the Lab Lounge about Danley TH118 and how people love them. I have eight and do events similar to what you mentioned. They're a little more expensive than you stated but they far exceed anything I've ever used and they're reasonably sized. Check them out if you want the best.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »

There's a long thread going on in the Lab Lounge about Danley TH118 and how people love them. I have eight and do events similar to what you mentioned. They're a little more expensive than you stated but they far exceed anything I've ever used and they're reasonably sized. Check them out if you want the best.

From what I have heard, they are great subs but I need a single 18 that I can carry by myself-not just roll in by myself. I often times have gigs that are on second floors or up stairs and having a 160lb sub will not work for me to lift by myself.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am wondering who all has heard the new JBL SRX818SP and SRX828SP. I have been looking into getting some smaller subs that I can carry by myself for smaller gigs (smaller wedding DJs, some bar gigs, etc) and am looking for something in the $1k-$1500 range for price (though I plan on getting a pair). I have previously been thinking about the KW181 as I have some K12's that I use for some smaller gigs. I have 4 SRX728s that I use for larger gigs and have really enjoyed those subs-though I wish they extended lower than they do.

Anyways, what I am interested to know is how the SRX800 series stack up against their predecessors in the SRX700 series. Perhaps a fair comparison could be the SRX818SP vs the VRX918SP (which is basically the SRX718 powered from what I understand).

Does anyone have any experience with these subs? How do they sound? How do they match up against a similar line like the KW series, etc.

Thank you all in advance for any input you may have.  :)

I haven't heard the new SRX800 series yet, but I do have the VRX918SP subs. These are really good sounding little subs that I use for small events. They go pretty low and can get reasonably loud.

If you look at the spec sheet only the SRX818sp is a little louder than the VRX918sp. The cabinet looks real similar to the STX style

I have 4 that I use for club bands for about 150 or so folks. Since I have 4 it makes my small club rig modular. Some places 2 and some places 4. I'm real happy with them. They do have their limitations though.

I mounted casters on the back side and have covers with hard tops. So I can load stuff on the top without pushing the grill down. Real easy to move around.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:59:07 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:13:15 PM »

I haven't heard the new SRX800 series yet, but I do have the VRX918SP subs. These are really good sounding little subs that I use for small events. They go pretty low and can get reasonably loud.

If you look at the spec sheet only the SRX818sp is a little louder than the VRX918sp. The cabinet looks real similar to the STX style

One thing to note about the spec sheet on the VRX918 is it's measured in full space.  The SRX818 doesn't specify, but I would assume it's measured in half space to get it's 1w1m number, and then calculated from there.

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »

So it sounds like no one really has any real world experience with these subs yet. If anyone does in the future, it would definitely be interested to hear of their findings!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 07:56:16 PM »

So it sounds like no one really has any real world experience with these subs yet. If anyone does in the future, it would definitely be interested to hear of their findings!

I am scheduled to demo some on Friday but don't know how in depth I will be able to get. Most likely it will be listening in a limits way and no measurement. 
If I can get more in depth than that I'll let you know what I find.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 02:28:01 PM »

I am scheduled to demo some on Friday but don't know how in depth I will be able to get. Most likely it will be listening in a limits way and no measurement. 
If I can get more in depth than that I'll let you know what I find.

Lee

That would be awesome, Lee!   :D

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:29:58 PM »

That would be awesome, Lee!   :D

Demo was postponed until this coming week.
I'll see how in depth I can get.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:29:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.