ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: O1v96 advice - GEAR UPDATE 14/04/2016  (Read 5860 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: O1v96 advice
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »

Hey Guys just thought I would give an update to my whole situtation I know its late and I'm sorry.

We got shot of the whole PA except the desk we now run

2X RCF 732a tops
2x RCF 905as Subs
and the sound is to our ears amazing!

I've got grips with the desk so much more now, there is no feedback anymore, it took a whole to figure out the gain structure with this desk tho Im still not sure I have it right here is how I'm running it now.

I found that without the PAD switches engaged the sound was very on edge to feedback at all times tho this is how the manual tells you how to set the gain correctly by getting each or most channels to clipping occasionally then backing the gain down slightly..found this really not that great.

I'm not sure what manual you are referring to but I don't believe that is in Yamaha's owners manual.

Where as with the PAD switches engaged its so much more manageble, We have a good sense of stage sound, and volume, all the amps are elevated and we have IEM's so no monitors to increase stage volume.
I get the meters on the desk for the channels reading around -12 to -6 and if i need anymore gain on a channel that I cant get with the gain knob then I use the gain attentuator found on the channels EQ page seems to works really well!

I have the Master Fader at around -10 to -5 its around here I find is a really great sound, it pushes the speakers sightly to a really sweet spot and doesnt seem to damage them atall..the signal light is active but never gone to peak or anything. Due to them being active speakers I can control the volume of them to a non ear damaging level while still sounding excellent..we find generally we dont need to go past 10:30 or 11 O'Clock on the level control on the speakers.

Not too sure how many other guys are using the desk this way I know one guy that does and there band sounds phenominal..a really great sound..can hear every instruemnt perfectly very low noise floor and a very clear sound.

Do you guys think im doing anything wrong here or anything that is going to cause my speakers or desk any damage in the long run? We are gigging roughly 3 times a week so need this this be as reliable as possible!

Again sorry for the late reply just thought you may like an update!

Tim

First, ditto to what Ivan said about pads.  You don't use them unless there is too much signal with the input trim fully down (it's not "off", BTW).

Second I think you are running the mixer too hot.  You do NOT need to set input trim for a PFL level of -12 to -6 DBFS.  That's NOT dBu (VU units from analog) but DB FULL SCALE.  At 0 (zero) DBFS there are no more 1s available.  You are a bit under digital clipping.  0 DBFS at the output of the mixer corresponds to +20ish dBu.  You should have your input trim set for signals to PFL at around -18DBFS.  You have some headroom for peaks that way.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TimHackford

Re: O1v96 advice - GEAR UPDATE 14/04/2016
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 08:36:25 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the replies, So tonight I tried running the mixer less hot, the input trim PFL on the chanels are hitting around -18DBFS and with the speakers set to 12'o clock position it sounds SO much better, I thought it was clear before but this is just amazing thanks very much, much more control over the master fader too! I dont know why when looking online I couldnt find anything about running the input signals on the 01v96 like this.

I understand what you are saying in regards to the PAD switches but to my ears the sound is alot less harsh with the PAD switches engaged especially on electric guitars. With the pad switches out there is a real harshness to the sound that no EQ can fix or any that I have tried, it sounds like its distorting ths tweeter on the 732a Tops even tho the input PFL are hitting the -18DBFS mark and the mixer is showing NO sign of clipping at all! With the pad switch engaged and the level hitting -18DBFS the harshness goes and sounds just much better and the distorting sound goes away...Can somebody explain this?

The mics I have used on the guitar amp is a Shure 57 and the amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III.

Thanks again for all your help so far

Best regards
Tim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:42:23 PM by TimHackford »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:42 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the replies, So tonight I tried running the mixer less hot, the input trim PFL on the chanels are hitting around -18DBFS and with the speakers set to 12'o clock position it sounds SO much better, I thought it was clear before but this is just amazing thanks very much, much more control over the master fader too! I dont know why when looking online I couldnt find anything about running the input signals on the 01v96 like this.

I understand what you are saying in regards to the PAD switches but to my ears the sound is alot less harsh with the PAD switches engaged especially on electric guitars. With the pad switches out there is a real harshness to the sound that no EQ can fix or any that I have tried, it sounds like its distorting ths tweeter on the 732a Tops even tho the input PFL are hitting the -18DBFS mark and the mixer is showing NO sign of clipping at all! With the pad switch engaged and the level hitting -18DBFS the harshness goes and sounds just much better and the distorting sound goes away...Can somebody explain this?

The mics I have used on the guitar amp is a Shure 57 and the amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III.

Thanks again for all your help so far

Best regards
Tim

Pads inherently change the impedance of the input circuit.  Not by a lot, but I can hear a difference in many mixers when the pad is engaged.

The SM57 has a "presence peak" that makes the hyped HF of most guitar player's "tone" even more grating.  I'd start by using 1 band of the input channel EQ to do reciprocal duty or change the mic to something with less HF boost.  Go to Shure's site and look at the response for the 57.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 01:25:56 AM »

Many will say I'm crazy, but as there is no iPad or Android remote for the O1V96, I think I'd just as soon have an X32-Rack or even an XR18.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 01:44:51 AM »

Many will say I'm crazy, but as there is no iPad or Android remote for the O1V96, I think I'd just as soon have an X32-Rack or even an XR18.

Not every application requires a remote control so his 01v96 is fine.  It's also a learning experience for him and what he groks today can be used tomorrow.

I have an X32 Rack and a full size X32, plus an 01v96II and original 01v in my personal inventory.  Not being a politician, can I be biased in favor of both? 8)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 08:30:05 AM »

False

https://www.airfader.com
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »

False

Yeah I was remote mixing on my 01v96 way before the behringer came out. Even before the mackie stuff was available....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

richard_cooper

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 04:13:34 AM »

False

+1 Fujitsu Lifebook, USB server (or more recently a raspberry pi with virtualhere), and Studio manager for years now.........

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 04:13:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.