ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying TH118's  (Read 29897 times)

Dave Barker

Re: Buying TH118's
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »

I have 8 of the TH-115 and they are one of the best buys I have ever made.  Had them for  6-7 years now.  Nothing but compliments on the sound of them and I have never not had enough low end for a show.  From rock to hip hop indoors, outdoors they just pound day and night.

Also just a note I have never had a problem with a single driver either.  I drive them with a QSC PL380, used to be PL6's.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »

I'm about to pull the trigger on 4 new TH118's...sight unseen. Buying solely based on what I've read here.

Please convince me I'm doing the right thing.  :)

Considering the cost of 4 TH118s, a plane ticket from Texas to Georgia may be worthwhile to put you at ease.  Maybe you can negotiate a deal with Danley to split the ticket of you buy the subs.
Mark McFarlane

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »

Considering the cost of 4 TH118s, a plane ticket from Texas to Georgia may be worthwhile to put you at ease.  Maybe you can negotiate a deal with Danley to split the ticket of you buy the subs.

Didn't I make that same recommendation to someone else not long ago?  :o

I should try to go....just no time.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »

I'm about to pull the trigger on 4 new TH118's...sight unseen. Buying solely based on what I've read here.

There is a smaller Jazz fest in town here every Sept  outside in a large park on the river and the company that does SR for it uses Bag End Crystals /3 per side hung and a single TH118 per side.   Pretty dam impressive subwoofers with nice low extension.   The 5 string bass guitar really stood out on low notes.   I think you will be quite happy with them.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »

Do it Jamin. They are really killer subs. I think you will love them.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 11:46:41 PM »

I for one, have been spoiled because I have heard the TH812. Just once, but that was enough. I want that sub at every show now. I just have to find someone that will pay for it!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 01:26:47 AM »

My first experience with Danley subs was when a church in my town was selling four TH115. I, too, had read all the praise here about Danley speakers and I auditioned them against my EAW SB750 dual 18" subs (that I thought were great). ONE Danley TH115 blew away my dual 18"! I got an offer to sell my entire EAW system and so bought those subs. I was so happy I then bought two SM80 and two TH118 SIGHT UNSEEN from another forum member. I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER with this system. I then added two more SM80 and six more TH118 thinking I would sell the four TH115 (but I haven't yet cause I still find uses for them!) For my level of events (small festivals, community concerts, hotel ballrooms, country clubs) they are perfect! I can't imagine you would be disappointed. Have you heard ANYONE here say they were NOT happy with these subs? BUY THEM, YOU WONT EVER LOOK BACK! (And if you DON'T like them, I bet someone on this forum would happily buy them from you.) I got my new stuff from a forum member not my local dealer. PM me for info.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:29:28 AM by Robert Piascik »
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »

More details:

Most of my jobs have been country/Texas country with a little classic rock thrown in and church events. Mostly indoors. Haven't really needed chest thumping subs.  Up to 500 would be considered a pretty large event. My current subs have been more than adequate.

The problem is most of these gigs don't exactly pay very well. I'm getting more calls for Tejano, which is large in my area, and some EDM/rap events. The Tejano bands pay a lot better but require it to be really loud with big thumping subs.

I did a show for a Tejano band last week for about 300-400. They loved the quality of the sound I was putting out but they wanted more chest thump and my subs were just about at their limit. I thought it was way too loud, but that's the way they like it. The crowd...not the band. :o

I didn't measure it because once you hit "way too loud" who cares what the meter says. :)

I feel if I'm going to be doing more of these types of shows I will need to step up to better subs.

Meeting rider requirements isn't really an issue for me. Most shows I do don't have riders.

I am considering the TH118's mainly due to their output and sound quality (from what I've read on the forums) but also the size. I only have so much room in the trailer and a bunch of double 18's won't fit.

Any input from actual  users would be greatly appreciated.

To add to what everyone else has already said, buy them!  I just installed 4 TH118's in an EDM nightclub and was really impressed.  I've never heard bass like that before from ANY system.  I happened to be in Atlanta yesterday so we stopped by Danley HQ.  They spent about 3 hours talking to us about the various speakers and subs, why each one is designed and shaped the way it is, and just talking shop.  Some of the stuff there is absolutely amazing!  Even the little SH-Mini's are damn impressive.  Overall they're a great group of guys and their support is top notch.  You won't be disappointed. 

David Hoover

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »

4 TH118 subs with propper power will have a lot of output.  I run two up against a wall pushing 90 to 95dBA probably 105dBC with lots of punchy subs and never touch the -20dB light on the XTI6000.  They sound more real than any front loaded sub.  They have real texture and dynamics, which has always been my complaint with dual 18" subs.  You need the dual 18" subs for output, but they always just make noise to me. Even high end expensive dual 18's. objectively the TH118's have less distortion than any brand I have compared including Meyer, Turbo, EV, JBL, etc.  The actual horns from Danley such as the BC415 or the DBH in my opinion sound even cleaner with even less distortion.  Folded horns typically are clean.  We just installed two BC415 subs in one of our rooms and they are so clean that they don't interfere with the mix really at all above their crossover point. Cost wise, if you need a lot of output, the TH118 is a great choice.  It's cost per output and low frequency extension are priced the same as their large cabinets.  For example, equivalent TH118 subs in quantity VS like a BC sub match up in price pretty close.  I think Danley knew that and wanted you to get the best sub for YOU and not have everyone getting the cheapest per output box.  Just my two cents!!!

Regards,
David

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

David Hoover

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »

PS if you get a Danley EDA 12000 amp it will properly power 4 TH118 subs and you would be numbers wise in the BC415 ballpark for output!

Regards,
David

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.