ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULXD4Q Which Band To Buy?  (Read 10156 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

Re: Shure ULXD4Q Which Band To Buy?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »

Can you address any of the issues Mac listed with the lack of gain control?

The wireless hand helds have no gain control, but the receivers do. There's an auto gain scheme that ensures that the transmitter never overloads by automatically gaining down and having the transmitter compensate accordingly (and this works fine and completely transparent as far as I can tell), so as long as you set the output gain on the receiver so that it never clips the output everything is fine.

The belt pack transmitters have gain control.

When using it with new Yamaha consoles as I'm doing (and you say you're planning on) there's still the digital gain control so you have a handle on how hot a signal you want - so I don't see a problem.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »

The QLX-D and ULX-D should sound identical.  The ULX adds additional features which may or may not be relevant.

The ULX adds Dante.  Depending on your rig, this may or may not matter at all.
The ULX transmitters have a 20mw power setting option. Helpful in rough RF environments, but not necessary for most.
The ULX has high density mode, which allows more channels in a smaller bandwidth.  Unless you're running a LOT of mics, this doesn't matter much.
The ULX network control can be controlled across subnets.  Important for large installs, but not so much for a single band.

Brian nailed it. I just bought 8 units of QLX D. I love them. They sound great I even think better than my UHFR stuff. I didn't need DANTE or high density so the choice was easy.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 02:10:40 AM »

Brian nailed it. I just bought 8 units of QLX D. I love them. They sound great I even think better than my UHFR stuff. I didn't need DANTE or high density so the choice was easy.

I agree - it sounds quite a bit better than UHF-R which have never impressed me much. This would make ULX-D (and QLX) the best sounding Shure systems, even ahead of Axxient which is identical to UHF-R audio quality wise.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 02:10:40 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.