ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.  (Read 20282 times)

George Dougherty

Re: Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »

I find the GJ works better on quiter stages.  I'll use it on jazz gigs or stages where most of the band is on ears, especially the drummer.   It sounds good in many applications but it does have its limitations live.

EQ may or may not help the toms pop if the 300c is rolling off more steeply down around 100hz. I recently picked up a pair of NT5's and have been meaning to try them in place of the 300c on those setups.  I just don't keep them in the mic kit since I have so many 300c I don't mind getting abused.

George Dougherty

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »

I find the GJ works better on quiter stages.  I'll use it on jazz gigs or stages where most of the band is on ears, especially the drummer.   It sounds good in many applications but it does have its limitations live.

EQ may or may not help the toms pop if the 300c is rolling off more steeply down around 100hz. I recently picked up a pair of NT5's and have been meaning to try them in place of the 300c on those setups.  I just don't keep them in the mic kit since I have so many 300c I don't mind getting abused.
Played around today and yesterday on two gigs with the same drummer.  Used my e904's as "tom" mics from about 6 inches away on stands.  The kit was admitedly very simple, kick, snare, 2 toms, ride, crash, hats.  The rack tom mic angled toward the crash and the floor tom mic angled toward the ride.  The cardioid pattern on the e904 picked up both the tom and the respective cymbal very nicely with a much darker mellow sound.  The crash and ride were present without stomping all over the rest of the band or being too in your face.  A bit of EQ would brighten up the cymbals if that's what you wanted and the tom popped almost as well as when I mount them to the rim.

All in all, I quite liked it and the e904 are an easy to place compact mic which is a bonus.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.