ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.  (Read 20279 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 02:08:10 AM »

I can't remember the last time I needed overheads, or had them and was actually able to turn them on.  Pro37 would be my choice.

If I am short on mics or channels, I mic the kick first, then the floor tom.  More toms as mics and channels as are available.  Often as not, the snare mic is just to I can get some signal to the snare reverb (or to add some fatness to a snare that is bothersome in its overt snappiness).

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 05:27:24 AM »

I've been happy enough micing the Kick with an d6 and using two SDCs (either SM81 or ADX-51) when I am in a hurry, for light music or jazz,...  I typically do the over-the-shoulder thing on one mic.  The second SDC is either opposite and equidistant from the center of the snare (jazz), or its tucked between the snare and hat (rock).

Not at all the same as getting each tom mic'd up with gates, but for jazz/country, or for rock when you're in a hurry, or lack channels, or are changing out kits between bands,... it works.  EQ to taste,....
Mark McFarlane

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 06:41:31 AM »

I can't remember the last time I needed overheads, or had them and was actually able to turn them on
And if you do, one is often enough.

I did a gig at the weekend with minimal drum mics.  It was a charity event using the clubs own equipment.  They didn't have many mics and all that was left for the drums was a kick drum mic, an SM57 and a dubious looking clip on tom mic with half the clip missing.  I put the kick mic on the kick (obviously!) the SM57 on the snare and I was going to put the other one overhead, but the drummer said that that for the style of music they were playing (Ska) the hi hat was more important so I put it pointing at the hi hat but a couple of feet away (and up).  It worked well and picked up the rest of the kit.  It certainly wasnt lacking in the overall mix.

Steve.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »

I never do stereo overheads even with unlimited channels by my own choice. Occasionally a visiting tech can't be swayed

I far prefer close mic on ride and hats plus a single overhead if needed.

The atm450 is great sounding for all three.

On occasion I will catch the whole kit by placing it between the rack and floor toms pointed towards the snare even with the toms rim.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Pete Bansen

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »

Will check them out Dick - thanks…..

Anyone using (or have tried...) the Rode M5 SDC?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »

I'm going to spend an afternoon trying every single method here and others I have read and seen used. I realize that every situation is and will be different but I'd like to get into my head as part of my never ending education in sound, some good ideas as to how to bring out the best I can with the tools available to me.
I really enjoy getting the drums sounding good and probably spend a little too much time on this - hence the reason I really need to cut down a bit on set-up time.
Everything I do in my PA world is compromised to varying degrees - no huge stages and pro level PA's  for me so I have to be realistic.
I do enjoy the challenge !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 03:25:16 PM »

What is the composition of the kit?  3 toms?

I generally go with kick, snare, OH.  If I need more toms, a 421 just west of the floor tom pointed over it and toward the small tom/snare.  If the drummer uses a lot of tasty hat I'll definitely get that, but often can get snare and hat with one mic if there's room.

Putting the mics on the drums doesn't take that long and if it's the same drummer all the time, see if you can train him to place them.  It's the cabling up that takes time, so a loomed set of cables is handy. 

I generally have  an 8 or 12 channel drop snake by the drum kit anyhow, so the cable loom doesn't have to be that long.  The OH cable is a home run, though.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »

If quick setup time is key here, I'd certainly also go for one mono overhead mic.

The KEL Audio HM-1 that made a big splash back in 2004 is really good at picking up the whole kit with full-bodied sound. It cost about $139 back then and can no doubt be found second hand. Also when using one overhead mic you can place it directly over the snare and get a lot of punch that way.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 04:02:07 PM »

What is the composition of the kit?  3 toms?

I generally go with kick, snare, OH.  If I need more toms, a 421 just west of the floor tom pointed over it and toward the small tom/snare.  If the drummer uses a lot of tasty hat I'll definitely get that, but often can get snare and hat with one mic if there's room.

Putting the mics on the drums doesn't take that long and if it's the same drummer all the time, see if you can train him to place them.  It's the cabling up that takes time, so a loomed set of cables is handy. 

I generally have  an 8 or 12 channel drop snake by the drum kit anyhow, so the cable loom doesn't have to be that long.  The OH cable is a home run, though.

Yes Dick good points…..whilst going over this in my head I realized it is the cabling and the fact that the mics are stored separately from the clips that is time consuming. I like to mic up the snare and hi-hat separately so that gets messy too. I am going to get a double mic mount to take care of that area.
The reason I originally wanted to use the overheads to capture the 'whole' kit was to be able to use only 3 mics total - whether that be the xy config with kick OR single overhead, kick and snare/hi-hat.
So, I should probably be looking at better cable management around the kit as well as mic choice and placement …….

I tend to run sound for the same bands but each drummer has a different config. I'd also not really want them 'playing' with my mics…mmm - I've seen the way they treat their own equipment….yeah - no. ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »

Yes Dick good points…..whilst going over this in my head I realized it is the cabling and the fact that the mics are stored separately from the clips that is time consuming. I like to mic up the snare and hi-hat separately so that gets messy too. I am going to get a double mic mount to take care of that area.
The reason I originally wanted to use the overheads to capture the 'whole' kit was to be able to use only 3 mics total - whether that be the xy config with kick OR single overhead, kick and snare/hi-hat.
So, I should probably be looking at better cable management around the kit as well as mic choice and placement …….

I tend to run sound for the same bands but each drummer has a different config. I'd also not really want them 'playing' with my mics…mmm - I've seen the way they treat their own equipment….yeah - no. ;)

Yeah, when the drummer uncases his gear ON the stage and is sitting there futzing around trying to get the correct angle on everything down to one degree before clearing things, it kind of cuts into your setup time.

Oh, and did I mention...he's the last one to arrive...5 minutes before go-time.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.