ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.  (Read 20281 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 09:26:54 PM »

Well, it's like anything I suppose. You don't know what you're missing until you've stepped up to the next level ;) The F15s were noticeably more dull and crunchy sounding to me compared to the ADX line when use on drum metal. I used them once and never used them again, though I have them in the mic box.

I suspect after close mic'ing all the time, you're going to be disappointed with OH distance micing of the kit in general. It's just not the same, but it might get you by. For certain genres of music (i.e. not rock) where close micing isn't necessary or wanted, it's a good call. But for rock, I'm never happy with it.

Nooooo…don't tell me that Greg…….I hope to find a sweet spot way of micing in this fashion to afford me some relaxation time before the crazy starts at gigs…...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »

Thanks Greg…I'll check it out.

I am reading some very good reviews of this mic online - the price is very appealing too !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »

Nooooo…don't tell me that Greg…….I hope to find a sweet spot way of micing in this fashion to afford me some relaxation time before the crazy starts at gigs…...

Greg is spot on.  I'll add that because every room is different, even with the same drums and drummer you'll spend a fair bit of time finding the "just right" spots.

I will again point out the utility of the Audio Technica Pro35.  Significantly cheaper than the AT350 (and it sounds different, but not objectionably so).  You can have mics on toms in about 30 seconds each.  Phantom powered.  Street price is about $175.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 10:37:08 PM »

Greg is spot on.  I'll add that because every room is different, even with the same drums and drummer you'll spend a fair bit of time finding the "just right" spots.

I will again point out the utility of the Audio Technica Pro35.  Significantly cheaper than the AT350 (and it sounds different, but not objectionably so).  You can have mics on toms in about 30 seconds each.  Phantom powered.  Street price is about $175.

I'm gonna spend some time working on what I can and can't do with this set-up.
If I am not going to save very much time, then it won't be worth it to me.
However, in the past, other than having to add a mic to the floor tom, I have had reasonable success using the XY technique. So I figured it is worth the risk to spend the cash on a couple of overheads to give this a try. 
At the very worst, I would sell one of my F15's that I got at a great price ( I have 3 of them) and have couple extra condensers in my kit ….

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 10:47:05 PM »

We have a few of the Pro35 at church, very versatile mics.  We have used them as vocal mics, handbells, brass, occasional strings, even misc percussion stuff.

For the cover band I work with, I use these clips:
http://www.audiopile.net/AP-DMC on snare and three toms.

I have the Audix F series drum mic set, but have not found a need to use overheads.  Lots of cymbals in every other mic on stage -- drummer beats them like a rented mule.  I have gates on each drum mic, but the vocal mics get a lot.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 11:17:16 PM »

However, in the past, other than having to add a mic to the floor tom, I have had reasonable success using the XY technique.

While you're experimenting, I'd recommend giving the "recorderman" technique a try. One mic directly over the snare, one mic just over the player's shoulder on the floor tom side (right side assuming a "normal" drummer), each mic the same distance from the center of the snare drum. I'm a big fan of this when just using three mics.

http://blog.shure.com/five-techniques-for-stereo-miking-drums/

Also had pretty good luck with a very unscientific 3-mic technique on Friday when I had to fit a 6 piece band in a 16'x9' space for a fashion show. Usual kick mic plus an SDC shoved in the space between the snare/hats/rack tom and another SDC under a crash over the floor tom beside the ride. This got the mics nice and close to the snare and toms for plenty of attack. Used a comp with a hi-pass key to keep the brass under control.

Like Tim and Greg said, if you're hoping to get that bombastic tom sound with the three mic method, you may be left wanting more no matter what mic you use, but you'll still likely find some very usable results depending on what the music requires.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 11:35:15 PM »

I do really like a strong tom sound - I agree the cymbals tend to get picked up by every other mic on stage so they never really get lost in the mix.
I'll try these suggested techniques at home in the rehearsal room.
I'll also see how I get on with just micing the drums and I'll set up a couple of vocal mics in the room to emulate what bleed I'd normally get on stage from the cymbals. I'll listen through the headphones to see just how much of a balanced sound I can get that way….no extra expense if it works.
The band hubby was in a couple of years ago had a drummer with a DW kit with built in mics - I never had it so good….

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 11:39:26 PM »

For me this almost never works in a small club. Everything bleeds and the toms never have enough presence and heft. A pro sounding kit is the most important detail to a pro sounding mix after intelligible vocals. I would mic kick, snare and the toms and forget the overheads if I had to make a choice. You can never process the toms and snare with proper verb and such with just overheads. The cymbals bleed through all the vocal mics anyway. Just my take...YMMV.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 11:57:34 PM »

Debbie,

I like the Rode NT5; Superlux also has some nice little mice that won't break the bank. I own a couple Crown CM700s (discontinued, but available on eBay) that I use mostly for choir and piano miking, but they work fine for overheads, too.

I used Shure SM81s a lot in the past, and I've experimented with the Shure VP-88 stereo mic also...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rick Powell

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 12:02:39 AM »

I've experimented with the Shure VP-88 stereo mic also...

I used to own one of these.  Most idiot proof drum OH mic made, IMHO.  It does a stereo (or dual mono) with a narrow, medium, or wide spread switch, and a mid/side matrix if you need finer control of the spread.  Basically two SM 81 capsules inside one large mic barrel with the additional electronics.  I did some 3 and 4 mic technique in the studio, but it also worked well the few times I brought it out live.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 12:02:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.