ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.  (Read 20280 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:45:31 PM »

In my seemingly never-ending quest to cut my set-up time down to a bare minimum due to the insane lack of consideration at almost every single venue where I run sound, I need some help in the drum dept.
So, I enjoy being able to mic up each drum individually, hi-hat, snare, kick and overheads but it becomes quite time consuming and I'd like to experiment a bit with just a kick and 2 overheads. Quite frankly it often unnecessary in these smaller bars. I use Audix D series for toms,i5 for snare and I15's for overheads/hi-hat.
I have some good ideas regarding mic placement in a 3 mic scenario but my Audix F15's that I use now are not designed to pick up anything below 100hz. I'd like to get a couple of matching overheads that will pick up the whole kit.
I've looked into SDC, LDC, in all kinds of mic patterns and brands. Each one has its strengths it seems and I am getting more and more overwhelmed by choice.
Added to this, I do not want to spend more than $200 (new) per mic if I can help it so maybe I should look for used.
I'd like some advice on this. One question is how to easily differentiate between overhead mics that do a good job of picking up toms and those that do not.
Given that placement, technique and quality of mic plays a big part in this, would I be safe to assume that any SDC or LDC that specs down to around 40hz would be able to pick up toms?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Good overheads for minimal drum mic option.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »

Before spending any money have you tried the F15s you already have?

I have no experience with those mics specifically, but I often use KSM137s or AKG C391s for this application (which are both out of your budget) however I always end up hi passing them higher than 100Hz anyway so what you already have may work for you.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »

Audio Technica Pro37 SDC. Between $100-$130 here in the states.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5ef0e5beb547be51/index.html

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »

The F15s aren't a very good sounding mic. I bought a pair to supplement my Audix ADX50s and 51s. They don't compare at all. But they were a fraction of the price. The Pro37 would be a much better choice IMO...

Cameron Pro Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »

I use AT873r's, very tight, well focused unipoint condensers.  They're hyper-cardioid.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »

I have no experience with those mics specifically, but I often use KSM137s or AKG C391s for this application (which are both out of your budget) however I always end up hi passing them higher than 100Hz anyway so what you already have may work for you.
I have tried them and I found that the floor tom did not cut through at all so I assumed it was because of the 100hz min.  If I have to mic up the floor tom, I might as well do them all. I need to get that floor tom in the mix.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:12:34 PM »

Audio Technica Pro37 SDC. Between $100-$130 here in the states.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5ef0e5beb547be51/index.html

Greg

Thanks Greg…I'll check it out.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:14:32 PM »

The F15s aren't a very good sounding mic. I bought a pair to supplement my Audix ADX50s and 51s. They don't compare at all. But they were a fraction of the price. The Pro37 would be a much better choice IMO...
I disagree - I have found the F15's to be fine for cymbals and hi-hat so far - however, I haven't compared them to something much more expensive !!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »

I use AT873r's, very tight, well focused unipoint condensers.  They're hyper-cardioid.

Will check them out Dick - thanks…..

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »

I disagree - I have found the F15's to be fine for cymbals and hi-hat so far - however, I haven't compared them to something much more expensive !!

Well, it's like anything I suppose. You don't know what you're missing until you've stepped up to the next level ;) The F15s were noticeably more dull and crunchy sounding to me compared to the ADX line when use on drum metal. I used them once and never used them again, though I have them in the mic box.

I suspect after close mic'ing all the time, you're going to be disappointed with OH distance micing of the kit in general. It's just not the same, but it might get you by. For certain genres of music (i.e. not rock) where close micing isn't necessary or wanted, it's a good call. But for rock, I'm never happy with it.

Cameron Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.