ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Amp Quality  (Read 18831 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Power Amp Quality
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2015, 01:47:28 pm »

Have we arrived full circle yet? Manufacturers would love to talk about duty cycle and some actually do.... I can remember when amps made their rated power 24x7 but guess who changed that? The customers when they stopped buying 24x7 models in favor of higher power for less time, for the same money or less.

So lets not accuse the manufacturers of being disingenuous. If anything it's the customers who say they want one thing than reward something else with their purchases, because it's cheaper.

We can easily measure duty cycle with some form of sine wave power, but just like all the other sine wave measures these will not map out neatly to all musical demands.

At the end of the day the customers get what they are willing to pay for. Most modern amps probably give them more than they expect.

JR

PS: If the amp runs out of duty-cyle and limits, that is not linear operation so you are not hearing the amp work, but hearing it not work. Some amps limit/protect more gracefully than others. 

Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »

I think we can all agree that there is very little in the way of really bad gear out there these days and our choices are often driven by practical and economic reasons rather than "sound quality".

True, but often a particular piece of gear is bad (or wrong) for a situation.

Not enough rig for the gig is very common in the lounge world so I often hear that product X is terrible when it is simply misused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lyle Williams

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »

Yes, this whole thread should have been in the lounge....

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2015, 05:59:42 pm »

Full circle was done a while ago :) What has been recently completed is the understanding that if you want to hear a change, you will, that if you think you hear a change, you do and that if your not in the right place at the right time, you will hear something different.

There is no two ways around it. Most all amps these days are designed utilizing proven technology. The corners cut to put that tech into use does not always impede sonic performance, but more the performance when used abusively. Certain output impedance's of amps can have an effect on speakers of different ohm's ratings and acoustic impedance's. I would venture to bet that even the order in which you put two speakers in parallel on an amps output can change the way they sound. This would even go as far as not moving the two speakers and only switching the order in which they are plugged in.

The fact of the matter is that even the best trained ears are probably only sensitive to perhaps 1/2 of a db. Maybe a savant is perhaps good to within a 1/4 of a db? I highly doubt that it will matter after only a few minutes of material over 80db in level though. The best ears in the world are probably no better than average after only a few minutes of concert level audio. The only objective way to test equipment is in lab conditions where perception is seen in hard data that cannot be argued. If I hear a difference between two speakers that are supposedly the same and I know the amp is the same, I simply swap channels to see if the conditions follow, if not then the speaker is simply that far out of spec. I have come across a few in my day. The only time it was the amp was when it was failing on that channel, and was usually a bad attenuation pot. I don't care what the name on the amp is as long as it is properly powered for the speaker and from the power source it will work acceptably.

I agree with Ivan, that the mic. and the speaker are, from a sonic standpoint, the weak links. The speaker and it's location in a venue being the worst offender. I can't wait for the day I see a PA set up using 2 OT. speaker cables that are suspended above the ground with cable bridge and the amps powered much the same way with solid gold wire and jacketed in unobtanium.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jerry Depew

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:42 pm »

Thanks for all the discussion on this fellas.  I have learned a lot.  Over 5 years ago - I purchased 6 Behringer EP 2500's.  Within 6 months - one of them died completely. A year later half of one amp died and I had one repaired.

Since then my remaining amps have been solid but they are over 5 years old.  I just picked up some Peavey CS amps and I feel good about them.... The Behringers will now be backups.

Thank you all for your opinions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:42 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.