ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Club System Advice JBL/QSC  (Read 21351 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Club System Advice JBL/QSC
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »

Amazing advice guys, thanks so much. We're going to go with powered 2 JBL PRX718XLF and some appropriate mains. With this set up, do we need any kind of DSP or Crossover stuff?

Crossovers and DSP are built into the subs (or tops depending on brand) … nothing else to do…..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Turner

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 05:37:45 PM »

Not sure why you were so hung up on the 5050a amplifier

$800 would get you this  http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVIPR27500

$1000 for one with DSP, amplifiers are about the only peavey produce I would reco these days save for a few guitar products and the china made PV series compact soundboards

As for DSP processor, it really depends how far you want to go, Seeing as this is destined to be destroyed by DJ's bare minimum would be a well hidden compressor/ brick wall limiter.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »

Yep, a couple of PRX718XLF and 2 PRX712 and you'll be set. They have it at GC. And you should be under budget

+1 on that and a little ways down the road when you have some more funds, get another pair of same subs.

Don't forget to negotiate on the price. Trade in something if you can. It helps the salesman with pricing too.

Get cables too but don't get sold on Monster cables. Expensive and not great. Hosa is fine for now.

What is going to be your sound source?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2015, 11:04:19 PM »

The specs on the Alto Black are much more suited for EDM.  You will get a much better ROI when you go to sell.  Pay off that credit line as fast as you can if the business is successful you can now sell that gear and know what you need for your next phase.  If it is not you won't take such a big whack.

Just went over to guitar center.com.  the new srx828sp looks like a real good investment.  Buy a pair of those on your credit line then look for a set of used tops or squeeze out another grand and get the Yammies mentioned earlier.  These are new subs, have processing built it and will hold value well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:12:18 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2015, 11:06:11 PM »

The specs on the Alto Black are much more suited for EDM.  You will get a much better ROI when you go to sell.  Pay off that credit line as fast as you can if the business is successful you can now sell that gear and know what you need for your next phase.  If it is not you won't take such a big whack.

That's supported by some user reviews as well. People are saying that it puts out like a PRX-XLF, but it goes much lower...

Color me interested
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Gill

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »

Just went over to guitar center.com.  the new srx828sp looks like a real good investment.  Buy a pair of those on your credit line then look for a set of used tops or squeeze out another grand and get the Yammies mentioned earlier.  These are new subs, have processing built it and will hold value well.

Definitely looks like the Alto Blacks are the best bang for the buck - I'm trying to get a set now. Guitar Center doesn't carry them, and can't get them from Musicians Friend even though they're the same company. They did offer to attempt to special order them, but that can take 6-8 weeks and would be full retail price. I plan to just buy them from MF and use the GC credit for everything else.

Do we need to use any kind of powered mixer or anything else for powered subs? Thanks again everyone, you have been invaluable to me in this process!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:54 AM »

Definitely looks like the Alto Blacks are the best bang for the buck - I'm trying to get a set now. Guitar Center doesn't carry them, and can't get them from Musicians Friend even though they're the same company. They did offer to attempt to special order them, but that can take 6-8 weeks and would be full retail price. I plan to just buy them from MF and use the GC credit for everything else.

Do we need to use any kind of powered mixer or anything else for powered subs? Thanks again everyone, you have been invaluable to me in this process!

Non powered mixer for powered speakers.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:05:22 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »

+1 on that and a little ways down the road when you have some more funds, get another pair of same subs.

Don't forget to negotiate on the price. Trade in something if you can. It helps the salesman with pricing too.

Get cables too but don't get sold on Monster cables. Expensive and not great. Hosa is fine for now.

What is going to be your sound source?

What is the audio source? Is that included in the budget?

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Gill

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »

What is the audio source? Is that included in the budget?

I'm not sure what your question is Rob - we have a mixer and our DJs will be using CDJ2000s or their own equipment. Is that what you mean?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »

I'm not sure what your question is Rob - we have a mixer and our DJs will be using CDJ2000s or their own equipment. Is that what you mean?

I think he was asking if you have a sound board and what are you using for music? Laptop or other source?

You can just come out of the DJ's mixers. It would be best if they had XLR outputs. Some may have only dual RCA or 1/4" outputs. Better have some way to convert to XLR to go to the speakers
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:04:36 PM by Jamin Lynch »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.