ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Club System Advice JBL/QSC  (Read 21336 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Club System Advice JBL/QSC
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »

OK then, 5k for everything in a small room, limited to Banjo center gear.....

I haven't heard them personally, but the Alto Black series subs are supposedly tuned a lot lower than most other powered subs. They cost about 1100 each. http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/black18s

Then a pair of Yamaha DSR12's would be all the top end you need. They are 900 each.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-DSR112-Active-Loudspeaker-106226970-i1546108.gc

So now we are sitting at 4 grand for speakers. Would 1000 bucks buy everything else you need?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Gill

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »

OK then, 5k for everything in a small room, limited to Banjo center gear.....

I haven't heard them personally, but the Alto Black series subs are supposedly tuned a lot lower than most other powered subs. They cost about 1100 each. http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/black18s

Then a pair of Yamaha DSR12's would be all the top end you need. They are 900 each.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-DSR112-Active-Loudspeaker-106226970-i1546108.gc

So now we are sitting at 4 grand for speakers. Would 1000 bucks buy everything else you need?

The Alto's look fantastic - though I don't see that GC carries them. We're not opposed to powered speakers, but we were able to get an open box RMX5050A ($1,700 normally), for $990 so we kind of wanted to hang on to that deal, though we could return it.

What about these http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-STX818S-18--Bass-Reflex-Subwoofer-108100785-i2581245.gc

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »

The Alto's look fantastic - though I don't see that GC carries them. We're not opposed to powered speakers, but we were able to get an open box RMX5050A ($1,700 normally), for $990 so we kind of wanted to hang on to that deal, though we could return it.

What about these http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-STX818S-18--Bass-Reflex-Subwoofer-108100785-i2581245.gc
Forgive me for not reading your whole thread, but I wanted to comment that you're doing this backwards in buying an amp first.  For the average user, self-powered speakers are a MUCH better choice than anything that requires an external amp.  I would strongly suggest returning the amp and making a plan, rather than trying to fit your situation around a limiting factor such as the amp you bought and may not need.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 03:44:24 PM »

Guitar Center does carry the Alto brand. You'll just have to ask to see if they can get the Black series. I bet they can, but they won't stock it because it's more expensive.

And, 990 bucks spent on something that won't really help is 990 bucks wasted. The 5050 puts out 1100 watts at 4 ohms for each channel. 2 of the Black18's have that much power, BUT you can split them up on different circuits. Also, if one dies or thermals out, you have a second one running. Do you know how to properly process and limit these subs? The Blacks have that all built in.

At the very least you will have to buy a crossover to run the 5050 with anything. A cheap analog crossover has no limiting built in, so you might just blow up your investment. Actually with EDM you'll need some sophisticated limiting to keep from blowing up your investment. You need limiting that catches peaks, AND reduces power over time (thermal limiting). That kind of stuff will cost you 5 grand by itself, and doesn't come from guitar center....

Just buy good powered speakers and quit over thinking it!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 03:44:27 PM »

Remember, the wrong device at the right price (deal) is still the wrong device!

Figure out what you need then figure out some options to get you there, then figure out the best one for you.

Let us know your whole budget picture.

Is banjo center the only place you can do business, or, is it the only place you tried?
If you got the same credit line at a bank or, better yet, a credit union, you could buy the right gear wherever you got a good deal rather than only shopping at one store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »

Forgive me for not reading your whole thread, but I wanted to comment that you're doing this backwards in buying an amp first.  For the average user, self-powered speakers are a MUCH better choice than anything that requires an external amp.  I would strongly suggest returning the amp and making a plan, rather than trying to fit your situation around a limiting factor such as the amp you bought and may not need.

+1

I suggested powered speakers early on in the thread but the OP said he DEFINITELY wanted passives.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:54:15 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Gill

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »

Remember, the wrong device at the right price (deal) is still the wrong device!

Figure out what you need then figure out some options to get you there, then figure out the best one for you.

Let us know your whole budget picture.

Is banjo center the only place you can do business, or, is it the only place you tried?
If you got the same credit line at a bank or, better yet, a credit union, you could buy the right gear wherever you got a good deal rather than only shopping at one store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have looked other places, Banjo Center is the only place that would extend a large enough credit line to us. Total budget is $5,000 for the entire system, and would need to be spent entirely there. Not totally opposed to powered equipment, we were essentially under the impression that in terms of future proofing/expanding our system we were better off using rack equipment. We plan to drastically improve the system within 3-6 months of opening. But again, definitely not opposed to going powered if they will place nice with other stuff down the road.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »

We have looked other places, Banjo Center is the only place that would extend a large enough credit line to us. Total budget is $5,000 for the entire system, and would need to be spent entirely there. Not totally opposed to powered equipment, we were essentially under the impression that in terms of future proofing/expanding our system we were better off using rack equipment. We plan to drastically improve the system within 3-6 months of opening. But again, definitely not opposed to going powered if they will place nice with other stuff down the road.
Bob, it is sometimes very difficult to start small and then upgrade while continuing to use your existing equipment.  Something like a Danley TH118 is actually quite economical considering how many smaller subs a single TH118 can replace (3-4 single 18's), however the starting price point is out of your budget. 

There are two reasons to buy self-powered gear:

1. It will sound good right away.  The whole thing is a system; plug it in, balance levels between subs and tops, and go.  It will also be more difficult to blow up, as the manufacturer has spent time working on speaker protection algorithms.
2. It will have a high resale value, as they are desirable pieces.

I would buy whatever you can afford today - a pair of QSC KW181s, JBL PRX718XLF, or JBL SRX818P, plus the mains of your choice - Yamaha DSR-112, EV ETX series, JBL SRX800 series, if you can afford these boxes, as they will sound significantly better than lower-end gear.  When you have more funds for an upgrade, you will be able to recoup much of your investment if you bought quality gear.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:28:56 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Bob Gill

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »

Bob, it is sometimes very difficult to start small and then upgrade while continuing to use your existing equipment.  Something like a Danley TH118 is actually quite economical considering how many smaller subs a single TH118 can replace (3-4 single 18's), however the starting price point is out of your budget. 

There are two reasons to buy self-powered gear:

1. It will sound good right away.  The whole thing is a system; plug it in, balance levels between subs and tops, and go.  It will also be more difficult to blow up, as the manufacturer has spent time working on speaker protection algorithms.
2. It will have a high resale value, as they are desirable pieces.

I would buy whatever you can afford today - a pair of QSC KW181s, JBL PRX712XLF, or JBL SRX818P, plus the mains of your choice - Yamaha DSR-112, EV ETX series, JBL SRX800 series, if you can afford these boxes, as they will sound significantly better than lower-end gear.  When you have more funds for an upgrade, you will be able to recoup much of your investment if you bought quality gear.

Amazing advice guys, thanks so much. We're going to go with powered 2 JBL PRX718XLF and some appropriate mains. With this set up, do we need any kind of DSP or Crossover stuff?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »

Amazing advice guys, thanks so much. We're going to go with powered 2 JBL PRX718XLF and some appropriate mains. With this set up, do we need any kind of DSP or Crossover stuff?

Yep, a couple of PRX718XLF and 2 PRX712 and you'll be set. They have it at GC. And you should be under budget

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.