ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Club System Advice JBL/QSC  (Read 21338 times)

John L Nobile

Re: Club System Advice JBL/QSC
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »

Do a sub search on the forum. Danley TH118's are highly recommended.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »

You are lucky you can still change out the cabinets. As mentioned do a search or start a new thread. EDM needs strong output down to 35hz for most genres and there are tons of subs that fit the bill. I'm partial to the PK Sound klarity bins, not because others can't do the job, but because the PK logo sells tickets to shows in my area. Always different angles in every decision.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »

It was a Furman P-8 Pro power conditioner. It seemed to be a noticeable difference in hum/pop, but you may be right, we may have tightened connections or something in the process that affected it as well.

Len - Is there another speaker you would suggest for these purposes in this price range? I havent picked the subs up, so I can change the order @ this point. Great bass is definitely our priority! :)

First....How big is the room?

Bob Gill

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »

First....How big is the room?
It's approximately 30x30 with a 10 foot ceiling.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »

DON"T buy the PRX418's - from everything I have read and everyone I have listened to with experience in using them, they will definitely NOT be adequate for EDM.
Do you already own the amps? If not - having had little experience in sound, maybe you should look at powered subs and speakers. This removes the guess work out of the equation and will make things so much easier for you. It will not cost you anymore to do things this way either.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Gill

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »

DON"T buy the PRX418's - from everything I have read and everyone I have listened to with experience in using them, they will definitely NOT be adequate for EDM.
Do you already own the amps? If not - having had little experience in sound, maybe you should look at powered subs and speakers. This removes the guess work out of the equation and will make things so much easier for you. It will not cost you anymore to do things this way either.

we definitely want to stay with passive speakers - are there any recommendations in the price range of the PRX418 for 35hz response?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 07:33:17 PM »

we definitely want to stay with passive speakers - are there any recommendations in the price range of the PRX418 for 35hz response?

Not new there is not.  If you are not space constrained there are some interesting used possibilities depending on just how much weight and space you can tolerate.  If you want small, efficient cabinets that go low you have to use something other than a simple box style cabinet.

Speakers like the previously mentioned Danley utilize complex cabinets that fold the sound to make the cabinet appear acoustically larger (simplified explanation).  Danley is like the Ferrari of sound and you can actually talk to real American folks when you call them so lots of fans of that product.

That being said I am not a Danley dealer or dealer for anything but I am a seasoned sound guy in Cleveland.  If you would like a professional look send me a private message on the forum and I may be able to help you out in some way.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 08:56:14 PM »

Good afternoon folks - this is my first post, so be gentle haha. I don't know a ton about audio in general, but I am opening up a social club in Akron, Ohio with a focus on bass heavy EDM. Based on my limited knowledge and research we purchased 4 JBL PRX418S 18" subs, and two JBL PRX 415M 15" mains. We paired the 4 18s with a QSC RMX5050A 5,000 watt amp, and the two 15s with a QSC GX5, and we have a power conditioner in the rack as well. We were planning to run the 18s in parallel @ 4ohms, which if I am understanding correctly, is what the four 8ohm JBL PRX418S' will be showing as to the amp. Any suggestions or input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Can you get your money back on the speakers and subs?  The RMX5050 is probably the best amp for subs in that price point.  Not a huge fan of the GX5.  Another RMX amp would work well for the tops.  You could fill that room with PRX418's and you still won't be happy with the bass.  You could purchase one Danley TH118 for less than what you paid for those 4 PRX418's, and power it with one side of the RMX5050.  Down the road you could add another TH118 to the other side of the RMX5050 and you'd have some serious bass.  We just finished an EDM nightclub install last week with 4 TH118's.  It's an insane amount of bass for the room. As for tops, Danley SM80 is killer but quite a bit more than the PRX415.  If you want to stay passive, the JBL AC2215 is a better speaker than the PRX, but a little more expensive.  The STX812 or STX815 are better, but cost even more.  The new SRX812/815 are nice, but they're powered.  Powered can be better if you're not experienced with setting up a DSP.  Do you have a DSP?  You don't mention one.  I would stay far away from the dbx Driverack PA/PA2.  The Driverack 260 is great, so is the Ashly SP3.6. 

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »

If your budget is in the PRX418 range, then you may not find anything that will give you that kind of response. You would need to step up quite a bit. Your room isn't all that large though.

Do you have any more in your budget to work with? The next step up subwoofer with JBL would be the STX series. It has the 2242 speaker which I think most people here would say is a great 18" speaker.

The PRX415's aren't bad...not great but good.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:00:42 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 12:02:44 AM »

I know you are in Akron, and I know you don't have a realistic budget, but, these popped up here in Austin the other day. This is what you want for all that goes wub-wub.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/4897462828.html

And from a different seller there is a full system: http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/4899992225.html
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 12:02:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.