ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Club System Advice JBL/QSC  (Read 21332 times)

Richard Turner

Re: Club System Advice JBL/QSC
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 12:44:04 AM »

The QSC RMX5050A, nor any other amp I can think of, is rated for 2 Ohm when bridged so that configuration is not an option.  Your best bet with that hardware is to hook it up with 2 subs per channel in stereo mode as you first outlined.

I know of one antique that was lol. pg 34 in manual

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/legacy/103169.pdf

As for the power conditioner if its an actual real one (buck - boost regulated output) it might help if the processing was attached to it or a UPS box, definetly not for the amps though.  Remember you are attempting to DJ proof the system, also a processor or bare minimum a very musical rack of compressors is in order. Never trust a DJ with levels.

Myself I would not reco the RMX series amps anywhere for permanent instal if they will be used at over 30% rated output on a regular basis. Great for house radio. monitors, couple or 3 mights a week for 2 guys with guitars and vox but for full tilt DJ rig you will likely have a failure sooner than later. Much newer stuff out there or heavier built stuff anyway.

Best question to ask is how many cubic feet is the club and what is the bare minimum sustained SPL. Do you need to just hear the bass or should your pantlegs be as if in a gale force wind when 25 feet from the stacks? Do you need sub bass? (the stuff below 45hz?)
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 07:17:35 AM »

Richard, have you personally experienced a failure with RMX amps that were used over 30% of their rated output?  If so, I'd like to hear about it. For what it's worth, unless your favorite genre of music is a sine wave you're probably using far less than 30% of the rated output of whatever amp it is that you're using. I'm not suggesting they are bulletproof by any means, but I have yet to find a suitable alternative in their price point. The 4050, 5050, and even 1850HD have heavy duty toroidal transformers and enough capacitance to sustain bass notes. Switch-mode amps in this price point do not.

I have replaced several failed amps from a well-known manufacturer (who shall remain unnamed) with the RMX series and have been very pleased with the results. The one knock against the RMX series is that the attenuators can get dirty in a club environment, but with routine maintenance this generally isn't an issue. They're easy to spray out and can be replaced for about $10 each if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Gill

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »

Best question to ask is how many cubic feet is the club and what is the bare minimum sustained SPL. Do you need to just hear the bass or should your pantlegs be as if in a gale force wind when 25 feet from the stacks? Do you need sub bass? (the stuff below 45hz?)

Of course ideally we want gale force winds 25 feet away, but with a $5,000 budget thats essentially impossible. The room is approximately 900 sq ft, and I realize our budget is probably not ideal, but its what we have to work with at this point. I need to maximize my bass for this dollar amount. We do plan to upgrade/add equipment as we have the finances, so that within 6 months or so we're where we need to be.

I guess the key thing to know, this is NOT necessarily a Vegas style super club - we're a smallish after hours social club with an EDM focus.

As far as processing, I'm kind of in the dark - we had not thought about that, and a venue that we have monthly shows at does not use any kind of processing. But I imagine it would be a great idea in our case, so that we can maximize our sound per dollar. Thanks for ANY info you can give, it's much appreciated :)

Richard Turner

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »

Richard, have you personally experienced a failure with RMX amps that were used over 30% of their rated output?  If so, I'd like to hear about it. For what it's worth, unless your favorite genre of music is a sine wave you're probably using far less than 30% of the rated output of whatever amp it is that you're using. I'm not suggesting they are bulletproof by any means, but I have yet to find a suitable alternative in their price point. The 4050, 5050, and even 1850HD have heavy duty toroidal transformers and enough capacitance to sustain bass notes. Switch-mode amps in this price point do not.

I have replaced several failed amps from a well-known manufacturer (who shall remain unnamed) with the RMX series and have been very pleased with the results. The one knock against the RMX series is that the attenuators can get dirty in a club environment, but with routine maintenance this generally isn't an issue. They're easy to spray out and can be replaced for about $10 each if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience is with the original rmx series not the newer -a so all I can comment on is the older ones. The RMX series was a decent utility amp series. Made in China. Single board design, it makes little difference if it was outfitted with a super heavy copper torrodial transformer or switching power supply. Most manufacturers are offering a similar type of unit, The crown XLS stuff I found to be worse than a lateral move in comparison, the behringer EP series was essentially a clone but with even cheaper internals (lots of chat on that 5 years back if you search on here ep2500 vs rmx2450)

EDM is essientially reproducing highly energetic LF sine waves when it comes down to it.

The stuff is made to work but it may or may not prove in the long run, for me it did not, I also wouldn't reco any P series amplifier from Yamaha for long term DJ abuse to drive subwoofers.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Richard Turner

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 10:33:20 AM »

Of course ideally we want gale force winds 25 feet away, but with a $5,000 budget thats essentially impossible. The room is approximately 900 sq ft, and I realize our budget is probably not ideal, but its what we have to work with at this point. I need to maximize my bass for this dollar amount. We do plan to upgrade/add equipment as we have the finances, so that within 6 months or so we're where we need to be.

I guess the key thing to know, this is NOT necessarily a Vegas style super club - we're a smallish after hours social club with an EDM focus.

As far as processing, I'm kind of in the dark - we had not thought about that, and a venue that we have monthly shows at does not use any kind of processing. But I imagine it would be a great idea in our case, so that we can maximize our sound per dollar. Thanks for ANY info you can give, it's much appreciated :)

You have just perfectly given the reasons why you should look at leasing something in that last statement.

Bob Gill

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »

You have just perfectly given the reasons why you should look at leasing something in that last statement.

We have considered leasing, but the minimum requirements for most leasing options (being in business 1 year, etc) we don't meet at this point.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »

You have a $5k budget for subs in a 30'x30'x10' room. That might not be a caviar budget but incredible bass is certainly doable for that amount. There is plenty of equipment on the used market these days, deals can be had.

Why are you so adamant about passive speakers? You would be limiting your selection going that route. Also, a processor isn't an option, it is a necessity. Whether it is built into your amplifiers, your active speakers, or a standalone unit it is an absolute must. You will need to high and low pass your subs and high pass your tops as well as some form of tone control (EQ). Limiting is also a must when you mix Pioneer mixers with DJ's. Most active speakers will do this for you.

I would suggest going with 2 of whatever boxes you decide on. 30x30 is a small room and room modes make even bass in small rooms difficult. Being able to split the boxes apart from each other may be able to tame the peaks and dips.

One of the benefits of leasing is that you could change the terms if the equipment selection doesn't work out for you. Since that isn't an option I would suggest you rent a system or a few different systems before you commit to a purchase to verify if your equipment selection is satisfactory.

(Flame suit on) As great as JBL drivers are, they just don't have the x-max for EDM. Their 3200w peak handling is meaningless when you are playing sine waves. 9mm x-max may be great for a kick drum but in a front loaded box, EDM will eat that up and spit that out.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »

Is that $5K budget just for subs or for the whole system?

How loud do you really want to get in a 900sq ft space?

Processing is a must. Something like a DriveRack or similar processor
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:10:28 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Bob Gill

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »

Is that $5K budget just for subs or for the whole system?

How loud do you really want to get in a 900sq ft space?

Processing is a must. Something like a DriveRack or similar processor

Yes $5k for the whole system. Loudness is not as important as deep bass would be, I dont know if those go hand in hand. We expect 60ish people most nights. We are limited to whatever Guitar Center has in stock, new or used, as that is where our line of credit is.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »

Yes $5k for the whole system. Loudness is not as important as deep bass would be, I dont know if those go hand in hand. We expect 60ish people most nights. We are limited to whatever Guitar Center has in stock, new or used, as that is where our line of credit is.

In a room that small, you may want to consider one (or two??) really good subs that will meet the EDM demands vs. 4 that may not. It might work out to be the same $$ in the end

Although, I haven't heard  the Danley subs myself, I often hear they are the sub to use for EDM. Not sure if one will fit within your budget. Maybe someone else will let you know.

Maybe TH115?? Just to help with the cost. Not sure if just one would be enough.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:29:31 PM by Jamin Lynch »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.