ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI - between multiple sources without dropping signal to projector (handshake)  (Read 7866 times)

Leon Patel

Hello,

I'm new to this but have a questions I can't find the answer to. Anywhere. Any AV genius on here with the answer?

I am just about to start screening films as part of a small independent cinema. We're learning over time and building up our gear over time.

Here's the issue we are facing. We are using a denon dn av 500 connected to multiple sources. The two in particular are an oppo 103D blu ray and MacBook both though HDMI.

These are connected to two different HDMI inputs let's say 1 & 2.

We are using the MacBook for trailers of up and coming films, advertisements, selected shorts etc. the blue ray is used for the actual feature film.

When we switch between HDMI sources we are having signal loss, (hand shake issues )then projector finds the signal then source is switched. This is ok but not at all smooth and professional. We would like to switch between sources without the projector loosing the signal.

This is not my area but I assume there is some sort of mixer or switch with 'channels' rather than separate sources that could solve the problem. So the mixer keeps a constant signal with the device and you would switch or fade between sources to be displayed. This way the signal between HDMI and projector would not be lost. Effectively mixing the video live? Adio would be covered by the denon.

Ideally we would look at editing and producing each film with trailers, adverts etc but don't have the capacity, finance or luxury of doing this so looking for a work around to stop the signal from dropping when moving between sources.

Any ideas?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ

Analog Way, Kramer, Extron, Key Digital, etc all make HDMI switchers.  Most of the newer, higher end ones switch pretty quickly.  They are going to cost more though.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Cailen Waddell

Editing the movie would involve ripping it from the Bly Ray which in the U.S. Is generally considered illegal. 

I'll also assume you are purchasing the rights to show these films.

Regardless there are a number of options, some of the Crestron solutions may also be s good option.  Crestron places a scaler at each end device and to my understanding prevents a re-handshake when changing inputs/outputs etc. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio

Hello,

I'm new to this but have a questions I can't find the answer to. Anywhere. Any AV genius on here with the answer?

I am just about to start screening films as part of a small independent cinema. We're learning over time and building up our gear over time.

Here's the issue we are facing. We are using a denon dn av 500 connected to multiple sources. The two in particular are an oppo 103D blu ray and MacBook both though HDMI.

These are connected to two different HDMI inputs let's say 1 & 2.

We are using the MacBook for trailers of up and coming films, advertisements, selected shorts etc. the blue ray is used for the actual feature film.

When we switch between HDMI sources we are having signal loss, (hand shake issues )then projector finds the signal then source is switched. This is ok but not at all smooth and professional. We would like to switch between sources without the projector loosing the signal.

This is not my area but I assume there is some sort of mixer or switch with 'channels' rather than separate sources that could solve the problem. So the mixer keeps a constant signal with the device and you would switch or fade between sources to be displayed. This way the signal between HDMI and projector would not be lost. Effectively mixing the video live? Adio would be covered by the denon.

Ideally we would look at editing and producing each film with trailers, adverts etc but don't have the capacity, finance or luxury of doing this so looking for a work around to stop the signal from dropping when moving between sources.

Any ideas?

Kramer VP728 will do this.  It uses something that Kramer calls Fade Thru Black.  The scaler seamlessly and quickly fades to black and then fades back up to the next source.  Whole process takes 2-3 seconds.  You can also have it automatically revert to either a black screen or a stored logo if no signal is present on one of your sources.  Costs about $1500, but you have an Oppo BDP so I would assume you're working with a decent budget.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

I had that problem in spades where not only did the projector go looking but when I switched away from my MacBook, the MacBook saw I had no external device and reset the video the the local screen.

I needed a solution less expensive than the Kramer.

I bought a switch from Monoprice and a pair of Gefen HDMI Detectives. The Gefen units record the ID info from the projector and keep the source device thinking they are connected. I then set all three units to the same resolution and format, saved the sources in the Gefen and then when I switch there is only a momentary glitch which my audience doesn't care about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Rutirasiri

Any ideas?

As an alternative to seamless switchers like the Kramers (BTW you may find older VP-436 and VP-438 cheaper), this has worked very well for me:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtb-hdfst-148-blk.jsp?prod_id=9606

It's an HDMI splitter with built-in EDID management.  Set it to internal EDID and it is nearly seamless when you switch sources: the source does not need to go through the EDID handshake to query the display device (projector, TV)  -- the splitter maintains the handshake line so it does not toggle.

Cheers,
JR

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.