ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound control  (Read 10600 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Sound control
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »

Ivan the link to their site is http://www.roxul.com/products/residential/products/roxul+safe'n'sound. I downloaded their spec page. Just listing what they published.

That product is made for insulating walls and happens to have some acoustical properties. It may have an NRC of 1.05 fresh out of the package, but that will change drastically once you modify the density. If you compress it in the fabrication process it will alter the NRC. Up? Or Down? Who knows?

And you're planning to cover this with burlap? What's the fire rating for burlap?

There's a lot more to manufacturing acoustical panels than getting some pink stuff and covering with fabric
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:43:47 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Phillip Manker

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »

The panel manufacture I represent has a panel with an NRC up to 2.20. That beats your DIY 1.05 by a long shot. In the acoustical panel world 1.05 is not that great

http://www.perdueacoustics.com/sites/default/files/file/Specifications/September2013/EconoMaxWedge%20Diffsorber%2009%2077%2023.pdf

To get a "registered" NRC rating the manufacture submits panels to A.S.T.M. who will then determine the NRC rating. It is basically an average over several different frequencies. Once you cover DIY fabricated panels you have no idea what the NRC value will be. It will most likely be far less than the 1.05

Observing Ivans' notes, anything over 1 would be like playing in an open field. I would have to have tremendous power to overcome the noise sucking from the panels!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »

New to the forum, and I see a lot of helpful articles here. I will be referring to the site regularly.

Upgrading a church that I started attending a few months ago. They are asking me to research and recommend changes. They have been told to buy all new equipment (of course), I think other items need to be addressed first. I need your opinions.

Sanctuary is 60' x 60' with 20' ceiling. Stage is in one corner, 45 degree angle, about 28' deep to corner point. Hard surfaces everywhere except carpet on floor. An attempt at sound control was done previously by adding 3 1/2' x 8' panels above a troffer wall about 12' from floor. These panels are 1" deep with batting, covered with burlap, attached vertically to wall. Some help, but not much.

I propose hanging these from the ceiling about 3' drop from ceiling. I would add 3"thick Roxul Stone Wool insulation in the panels, hung horizontally to provide direct and ceiling reflection control. 24 panels would give me 672 sf.

I also propose hanging heavy curtains behind the stage along each corner. There would be 16' of curtain each side. I would also hang 2- 4'x8' wall baffles with 3" Roxul in each on 3 walls (4th wall is an overflow room). Another 192 sf of control.

Am I on the right track?

They were "advised" to buy 3 - 15' 2 way powered speakers to hang from ceiling about 28' from the inside stage corner (edge of stage). I think it is overkill and am concerned about the overlap of the three speakers creating large dead spots. I think it would be around 30 degrees on both sides of the center aisle.

My thought was 2 - 12" 2way powered speakers would be enough to cover the space adequately. The speakers specified are Yorkville PS12P. Seem to be more than adequate for the space. 

By my research, a 12 degree angle from the ceiling would give about 5 db loss from the first row at 24', and 12 db loss at the last row. With 80 degree horizontal dispersion, the two could be placed to minimize wall reflection and negligible overlap of coverage.

Any thoughts?

One failed attempt....another on the way. DYI panels just hanging where ever may not turn out like you think.

I didn't say those are the panels you need, merely pointing out there are panels with an NRC greater than 1.

Your room would need to be measured by a professional to determine which would be best for your application. From your original post, it appeared you have a reverberant room that needs to be properly treated.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:19:12 PM by Jamin Lynch »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.