ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Trap box rig  (Read 18940 times)

Eddie Ybarra

Re: Trap box rig
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 05:29:51 pm »

Throwing something different out there, I regularly run outdoor shows for 500+ using a pair of EV QRX 153/75 over a pair of Yorkville LS2100p per side for lower level National and bigger name Regional acts and every BE has been happy with the sound. This isn't the lightest rig as the subs are over 200lbs each but it sets up quickly and gets the job done without having to be pushed.
What do you power your system with?

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 05:35:02 pm »

Mike
How do you like the JTR Noesis cabs, how do they compare to other similar cabs?

HI Eddie, Ive got 4 of them, they are perfect for my gigs. They are built like tanks, sound great, loud, smooth, are small and light, I can put 2 a side for wide coverage. I think the crossover (which is a huge pile of hardware mounted inside) has a lot to do with how they perform. I replaced QRx212s with them.

Jon Betts in VT has a SM80/TH118 rig that I've been meaning to go hear, if I didn't own the 3TXs, Im thinking that his rig would be my second choice.

Mike

John L Nobile

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »

How does the SM80 compare to a SRX725 and I don't mean volume or throw but rather the natural "full range" of a duel 15 and horn box. It would seem that the SM80 would have a "thin" sound compared to a SRX725.
I haven't heard a SM80 before so that's why I'm asking
Maybe Ivan can shed some light on this thought?

SM80's are not full range boxes. The spec sheet has the -3db point at 140hz. You do need subs for these boxes. I've been told that you can get them lower at low levels but I haven't had the need to try that yet.
Mine get used mostly for sidewash but do double duty as mains when we move to a different room.

Eddie Ybarra

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 05:48:37 pm »

Cool,thanks for the info Mike

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 05:52:30 pm »

What would you suggest?

It's difficult for guys on a forum to pick your rig for you. Everybody here has different rigs that work well for them that may not be suited for you. Some of the speakers mentioned I have never heard so I can't say how they would stack up against another speaker. I can only tell you my opinion on the systems I've heard for myself.

Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. Remember, sound quality is subjective.

I don't think I would make a large speaker purchase based on somebody on a forum "Speaker A smoked speaker B." I need to hear for myself.

I was merely pointing out that it first appeared that you have "a lot" of money to spend, then I would try to find something better than SRX's

PS. Not bashing the forum...I've gained mountains of knowledge here.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:00:13 pm by Jamin Lynch »
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Eddie Ybarra

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 06:02:01 pm »

It's difficult for guys on a forum to pick your rig for you. Everybody here has different rigs that work well for them that may not be suited for you. Some of the speakers mentioned I have never heard so I can't say how they would stack up against another speaker. I can only tell you my opinion on the systems I've heard for myself.

Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. Remember, sound quality is subjective.

I don't think I would make a large speaker purchase based on somebody on a forum "Speaker A smoked speaker B." I need to hear for myself.

I was merely pointing out that it first appeared that you have "a lot" of money to spend, then I would try to find something better than SRX's

PS. Not bashing the forum...I've gained mountains of knowledge here.

Yes good point, what rig do you use and how do you think it suit me if at all?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:17:05 pm »

Yes good point, what rig do you use and how do you think it suit me if at all?

I have all JBL VP series. The VP7315DP are the best sounding trap style top speakers I've ever heard. IMO

But, I've never heard any of the Danley products so I can't tell you how they would compare. I would love to hear them. Maybe there will be a demo in my area some day.  ;)

The SRX725's and 728's are very popular in my area. I ran sound for a band last weekend using 2 tops and 2 subs. I was not all that impressed. Just OK. It may have been that rig. I have heard other SRX systems that sounded good.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:19:41 pm by Jamin Lynch »
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 06:28:02 pm »

What do you power your system with?

I am using an RMX2450 on the high/mids and a pair of bridged RMX1850hd's on each pair of 15" as I already had multiple of these amps when I purchased my 153s. A fair amount of power is needed for the 15" to keep up with the horn loaded mid and HF drivers. The tops are processed with a DBX Driverack 260 including alignment delay, PEQ, limiter settings.

The Yorkville subs are powered boxes so they don't need an additional amp. I also aux feed them and set their built in low pass to 95hz.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Independent Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX323, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, Yorkville LS2100P, JTR Growler, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Yamaha M7CL-48, Soundcraft Si Exp 3, Si Compact 24, Behringer X32, Mackie DL1608

jason misterka

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »

Ok so my plan to get a kf850 rig died a slow painful death when me my dad and a friend tried to get it on top of a sub, go figure :'(
The idea was two kf850s aside powered by QSC and 8800 processed, nothing huge but sound quality would be superior to any store bought feather light million watt powered p.o.s
So back to the drawing board, my intension for this rig is be my "A rig" I'm about quality over quantity plus I have no need for a gigantic rig because my "big" shows are normally for a few hundred people and are outside. I don't really need to throw far maybe a hundred feet the most and definitely not wide either, a hundred feet too.Also not trying to fill any riders but would like a recognized brand,would like it to be scalable so I can add as needed. Music would be regular rock n roll, top 40, some Christian top 40, and various singers with tracks nothing bass heavy at all.
Now to the nitty gritty other systems I've looked at are JBL SRX725 (if I can find some) with TH118 ITech powered,D&B C7 with B2 D12/D80powered,Nexo AlphaE QSC powered NX242 processed,KF650 QSC powered 8800 processed,Danley SM80 TH118 ITech powered, EV QRX212 with TH118 QSC powered XTA processed.As you can see all the systems I've listed are very different from one to another but like I said I'm really about quality over quantity and line arrays lol

I would say Turbosound Aspect 880 but they are now discontinued. Maybe you can find some used ones.  They are about 125lbs each, which is a reasonable two man lift to chest height or an easy three man lift to head height.

The Aspect Wide TA500 which are still available may or may not get loud enough for your situation.

Jason

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 07:17:33 pm »

SM80's are not full range boxes. The spec sheet has the -3db point at 140hz. You do need subs for these boxes. I've been told that you can get them lower at low levels but I haven't had the need to try that yet.
Mine get used mostly for sidewash but do double duty as mains when we move to a different room.
True-but because the Sm80 is a sealed box (not ported) it has half the rolloff of the bass that a ported box does.

The decision to make it a small sealed box was to help the horn loading-therefore the sensitivity.

Since the subs are typically run at a higher level than the mains-the acoustic crossover is higher on the subs than the "electrical numbers" would indicate.

Since it is a sealed box, the impedance down at the lower freq is very high.  So very little power is going to the voice coil-so not much heating.

Also the excursion is tightly controlled because it is sealed-so a bit of boosting will not cause the driver to "flop around" as with a ported box.

You can do a good bit of boosting around 70-80Hz to help "fill out" the response if needed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 07:17:33 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.