ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Production Company search  (Read 5616 times)

Aaron D Mohler

Live Production Company search
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:07:41 AM »

So I have tried searching the web using multiple word combinations (ie "live, sound, production, company, audio, etc) and I never seem to get the results that I'm seeking. Is there any website that has listings of major production companies?

I specifically searched in Southern California and it doesn't ever pull up Sound Image, Rat Sound, or any others I would think would pop right up... Is there something I'm missing?

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Live Production Company search
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »

So I have tried searching the web using multiple word combinations (ie "live, sound, production, company, audio, etc) and I never seem to get the results that I'm seeking. Is there any website that has listings of major production companies?

I specifically searched in Southern California and it doesn't ever pull up Sound Image, Rat Sound, or any others I would think would pop right up... Is there something I'm missing?

Not always 100% accurate or complete,but a good start.

http://www.epdweb.com

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »

Something else that you need to keep in mind is that for a lot of companies, designing, implementing and maintaining a decent website is just about at the bottom of their list of priorities. And even for these big ones, once they have it built, optimizing it so they pop up under key words that are important/relevant (The famous SEO that people want you to pay them to do...) might not get done.

I'm by far NOT the largest company in the Seattle market. I'm way newer and have a lot less gear then "the big guys." The largest VerTec house in Seattle is Morgan Sound.

When I search for "JBL VerTec Rental in Seattle WA" on Google, I'm results 2-4 there. Morgan is at the bottom of the search results page. If I search just for "JBL VerTec in Seattle WA" I am 2 of the 3 top listings, and Morgan's FACEBOOK page is listing #6.

Where is someone going to click first if they're searching for VerTec in Seattle? I know what keywords are important to me, and I spend time on my website ensuring that I have both those well represented but also relevant content. I've been adding new pages focused on different aspects of rental gear, and I then check how that appears in Google.

So, how do the big companies get the business? Word of mouth. You know SI, Rat, Third Ear, the big groups-- they have such a network of promoters and event organizers that they work with that any new business is easy for them. It's the little guys like me, who are clawing our way up into our market, that have to do the well-SEO website to ensure that someone who might not have the same level of contacts in the area will be able to find us.

Brian mentions the EPD, a good place to start. The BIG guys also will advertise; on here, in FOH Magazine, on SF.N. Look for the companies submitting production photos and gig logs. See who the Hometown Heros nominees and winners for the Parnelli Awards are. Those are all indicators of who you should be looking at.

So with all of that said... what are you trying to do that has you looking for information on major production companies? We might be able to give you better advice if we know what your end result is...

-Ray

Attachments: Google Searches; "JBL VerTec Rental in Seattle WA" and "JBL VerTec in Seattle WA"
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Aaron D Mohler

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »

Thanks guys, I completely forgot about the EPD.... Brain fart at late night.

Ray, I definitely have noticed what you speak about with websites and production co's, it's the same thing here in New Orleans.

Ray, it's research for possibilities in job opportunities. I've been thinking about relocating back to So Cal and working full time with a singular production co. The wife is now pregnant with our first and I would like something more steady than freelance. Plus, I feel confident with my mixing skills, but lacking in my systems tech skills. I work for so many different companies and nine full time, so it never seems enough time/practice to really get in deep with system capabilities of a singular (or relative few) manufacturer.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »

For the big companies, it's a benefit NOT to pop up first on the list for google.  They use a more direct contact method to earn business.  For the size of shows they are doing, it's highly unlikely that someone is going to go in blind and search online to find their production company.  By not being first on the list, they avoid taking many calls from people that aren't their target market.

Now, for smaller businesses that do one offs or small corporate where the client doesn't regularly hire production, a good website with SEO is going to provide more value.
Brian Jojade

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:33:57 PM »

For the big companies, it's a benefit NOT to pop up first on the list for google.  They use a more direct contact method to earn business.  For the size of shows they are doing, it's highly unlikely that someone is going to go in blind and search online to find their production company.  By not being first on the list, they avoid taking many calls from people that aren't their target market.

Now, for smaller businesses that do one offs or small corporate where the client doesn't regularly hire production, a good website with SEO is going to provide more value.

Yes and no. I've received a couple of leads on major one-offs, from clients who found me on Google. ("Major," as in full production, 24+ boxes of VerTec, subs, ff, consoles, monitors, the works). Damn right that's my target client! These were requests from PMs from out of town, one was a tour stop at ShoWare, and the other was 4 day conference at WSCC. Since both weren't from the PNW, they didn't have the benefit of as close of a relationship with any one vendor in this area. Thusly, they hits up the Googlemachine.

But for tours, yeah, I don't expect anyone is going to find me on Google, but that's not stopping me from trying. Heh.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:06:03 PM »

I am currently in the process of designing a new website and had contemplated using adwords. Turns out that when you use all the keywords that one might use to find a company such as myself, there is little to zero searches in my search area. With even the best SEO and adwords I would probably only get a few calls a month from people not actually interested in my services.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:06:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.