ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What gear requires safety grounds ?  (Read 8872 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: What gear requires safety grounds ?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »

Can you ask the band to pick up a few (grounding) outlet strips from their homeland so that you can snip off the plugs and attach (grounding) plugs that fit your facilities?

I'm aware there may be problems with this, like what if they forget or they're coming from some other country with its own power style, but it's just a thought. If it works it becomes part of your kit for next time.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »

Can you ask the band to pick up a few (grounding) outlet strips from their homeland so that you can snip off the plugs and attach (grounding) plugs that fit your facilities?

I'm aware there may be problems with this, like what if they forget or they're coming from some other country with its own power style, but it's just a thought. If it works it becomes part of your kit for next time.

--Frank
A good idea frank, for a month ago.  I'm fairly certain they are already mid-tour.
Mark McFarlane

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »

Two thoughts:

1.  Is it possible that they have already thought about this and are bringing adaptors with them?

2.  Would a few of these work? http://internationalconfig.com/icc6.asp?item=30120

Steve.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »

Two thoughts:

1.  Is it possible that they have already thought about this and are bringing adaptors with them?

2.  Would a few of these work? http://internationalconfig.com/icc6.asp?item=30120

Steve.

That link is a Schuko  to NEMA 6-15P. It's close, Schuko is German.  France's plugs have a hole for the ground, and the ground is actually a rod that sticks out the the receptacle. (think recessed male XLR with one pin). Its too close to the gig to order anything.

We'll see if the band brings something.It's an indoor gig, I can replace the cords on all the synths, so that just leaves the pedal boards and IEM's potentially ungrounded.  I've already informed the band that I can only provide the Universal style outlet strips, assuming the interpreter forwarded that info.

Mark McFarlane

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:44 PM »

Make sure you have wire nuts and electrical tape handy-they always work ;D.
Steve Swaffer

Steve M Smith

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 03:42:38 AM »

That link is a Schuko  to NEMA 6-15P. It's close, Schuko is German.  France's plugs have a hole for the ground, and the ground is actually a rod that sticks out the the receptacle.

That shows my ignorance then!  I assumed that most of Europe (except us) used the same outlet.

Make sure you have wire nuts and electrical tape handy-they always work
Twisting wires together and taping up - also known as a universal connector!

Steve.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:01:28 AM by Steve M Smith »

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 05:38:24 AM »

That shows my ignorance then!  I assumed that most of Europe (except us) used the same outlet.

There appears to be at least a half-dozen Euro-country specific standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets
Mark McFarlane

Steve M Smith

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 06:58:34 AM »

You might find that your French band has CEE 7/7 plugs which are compatible with both the French CEE system and the more widely used German Schuko.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#/media/File:CEE_7-7.jpg

Again, showing more ignorance, I thought this was the standard in most of Europe as all European plugs I have seen have been like this.  It gets its ground connection, either from the French protruding pin or the German side contacts.

I made up a British four way socket block to one of these a few years ago for my wife to take to France and it worked and a musician friend took it on a tour of European countries with no problems.

Steve.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:48:55 AM by Steve M Smith »

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »

I asked and sent them a picture of the CEE 7/6 plugs and thats what they said they used.  Of course, this is all through a promoter/interpreter. We'll see next Thursday what they actually show up with. :)

I'm still waiting (3 weeks) on the channel list so I can preprogram FOH and monitor land to drive 7 IEMS and 3 wedges.  We only have 2.5 hours to set up FOH and Backline and sound check before doors open, but I am working on getting storage so at least we can ship and unpack everything the day before.  I hired out a drum tech/roadie and an A2 for the gig, the band is bringing their own monitor and FOH engineer.

To be honest, this is my most complex gig (demanding artists) to date and even with a month of planning, getting the required info has been like pulling teeth.  I should have charged an extra $1,000 as a 'frustration' fee.

Hopefully the show quality will exceed the hassle.
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 05:14:02 AM »

Thanks folks. The gig went well, no animals were harmed and no one was electrocuted. The IEM transmitter rack was the only thing that didn't get a proper safety ground, and I think the IEM transmitters were all 2-prong devices.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 05:14:02 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.