ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What distribution box do I need for this?  (Read 7537 times)

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
What distribution box do I need for this?
« on: March 15, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »

I picked up an outdoor concert series, and here's the power that is provided.  It's clear that it's a PS-54-HR with a NEMA 14-50.  I looked at lots of sites, and I did not see exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Colorado Springs, CO

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
Re: What distribution box do I need for this?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 12:54:33 PM »

I knew if I read through this section, I'd find something!  This, from another post looks like it will fill the bill:  http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/964/117526/distro

Any other suggestions, please do!
Colorado Springs, CO

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »

For outdoor use, you might want to consider using a "spider box" with GFCIs. A spider box is a common construction item, and is probably available at a rental center near you, depending on whether it makes sense to buy one or not. IIRC, a new, made-in-USA spiderbox is about $500. CEP is a well known brand. Construction spider boxes are bright yellow (for visibility purposes) and typically have runners or a roll cage that hold them up off the ground (OSHA compliant and UL listed).  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »

Thanks Mark! 
All of the "spider boxes" I am seeing so far have the twist style plugs -- are the "range" style less common?

i.e.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434713_200434713
Colorado Springs, CO

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »

The standard solution is to build a short 14-50 to Calif connector pigtail. Because the spider box is rated for 50 amps, you could also build a 14-30 to Calif connector pigtail (but that would limit you to the 30 amp service.)  Mark C.

Edit:  To answer your question, a 14-50 is more common for RV service, but it is not as robust a connection if you are attaching an extension cable.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:51:24 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »

I ran into one if those at a fairground. I tried a standard range plug and damn if the right angle put the cord up the top. Fortunately for me, I had built the cable so I took it apart and rotated the pin end 180.

So, buy some 6-4 SOOW and put a California female on one end and a straight 14-50 on the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 07:05:38 AM »

I ran into one if those at a fairground. I tried a standard range plug and damn if the right angle put the cord up the top. Fortunately for me, I had built the cable so I took it apart and rotated the pin end 180.

So, buy some 6-4 SOOW and put a California female on one end and a straight 14-50 on the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The receptacle in the picture is oriented correctly - the ground pin goes on top. It's definitely possible to run into receptacles oriented incorrectly, but I haven't seen too many.

The correct cord for a California or 14-50 is 4/4 SOOW, not 6/4 SOOW unless you're sure you will never plug into a receptacle fed from a 3-phase service and will not run non-linear line to neutral loads. As that's a pretty tall order in our world, the neutral conductor counts as current-carrying, which derates the 6/4 cable to 45 amps.

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »

Jim at the Amp Shop makes breakouts for this very plug.

http://www.ampshop.com/distro.html

Terry Martin

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 08:57:02 AM »

I have a couple of Jims distro's.  He does good work.  But they won't (at least mine don't) have the certifications that may be a requirement in your jurisdiction. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

Jim at the Amp Shop makes breakouts for this very plug.

http://www.ampshop.com/distro.html

Jim is recovering from a circuit breaker shortage, he just got another shipment in and is working overtime to clear his backlog.  He's a great guy to work with.

Terry correctly points out that AmpShop products do not carry a Listing agency sticker.  AmpShop can have distros CSA approved, but it's done on a piece basis and requires that the assemblies are shipped to Canada to be inspected, stickered and returned to the USA.  This adds about 35% to the price and needs to be pre-arranged through Jim.

If one must have UL stickers on the devices and assemblies one will probably spend close to 2x of AmpShop's prices at Lex, TMB/ProPower, Motion Labs, Whirlwind etc.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.