ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What distribution box do I need for this?  (Read 5547 times)

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
What distribution box do I need for this?
« on: March 15, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »

I picked up an outdoor concert series, and here's the power that is provided.  It's clear that it's a PS-54-HR with a NEMA 14-50.  I looked at lots of sites, and I did not see exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Colorado Springs, CO

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
Re: What distribution box do I need for this?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 12:54:33 pm »

I knew if I read through this section, I'd find something!  This, from another post looks like it will fill the bill:  http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/964/117526/distro

Any other suggestions, please do!
Colorado Springs, CO

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 01:08:03 pm »

For outdoor use, you might want to consider using a "spider box" with GFCIs. A spider box is a common construction item, and is probably available at a rental center near you, depending on whether it makes sense to buy one or not. IIRC, a new, made-in-USA spiderbox is about $500. CEP is a well known brand. Construction spider boxes are bright yellow (for visibility purposes) and typically have runners or a roll cage that hold them up off the ground (OSHA compliant and UL listed).  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 01:13:14 pm »

Thanks Mark! 
All of the "spider boxes" I am seeing so far have the twist style plugs -- are the "range" style less common?

i.e.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434713_200434713
Colorado Springs, CO

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 02:45:59 pm »

The standard solution is to build a short 14-50 to Calif connector pigtail. Because the spider box is rated for 50 amps, you could also build a 14-30 to Calif connector pigtail (but that would limit you to the 30 amp service.)  Mark C.

Edit:  To answer your question, a 14-50 is more common for RV service, but it is not as robust a connection if you are attaching an extension cable.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:51:24 pm by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »

I ran into one if those at a fairground. I tried a standard range plug and damn if the right angle put the cord up the top. Fortunately for me, I had built the cable so I took it apart and rotated the pin end 180.

So, buy some 6-4 SOOW and put a California female on one end and a straight 14-50 on the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 07:05:38 am »

I ran into one if those at a fairground. I tried a standard range plug and damn if the right angle put the cord up the top. Fortunately for me, I had built the cable so I took it apart and rotated the pin end 180.

So, buy some 6-4 SOOW and put a California female on one end and a straight 14-50 on the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The receptacle in the picture is oriented correctly - the ground pin goes on top. It's definitely possible to run into receptacles oriented incorrectly, but I haven't seen too many.

The correct cord for a California or 14-50 is 4/4 SOOW, not 6/4 SOOW unless you're sure you will never plug into a receptacle fed from a 3-phase service and will not run non-linear line to neutral loads. As that's a pretty tall order in our world, the neutral conductor counts as current-carrying, which derates the 6/4 cable to 45 amps.

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 08:36:52 am »

Jim at the Amp Shop makes breakouts for this very plug.

http://www.ampshop.com/distro.html

Terry Martin

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 08:57:02 am »

I have a couple of Jims distro's.  He does good work.  But they won't (at least mine don't) have the certifications that may be a requirement in your jurisdiction. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:50 am »

Jim at the Amp Shop makes breakouts for this very plug.

http://www.ampshop.com/distro.html

Jim is recovering from a circuit breaker shortage, he just got another shipment in and is working overtime to clear his backlog.  He's a great guy to work with.

Terry correctly points out that AmpShop products do not carry a Listing agency sticker.  AmpShop can have distros CSA approved, but it's done on a piece basis and requires that the assemblies are shipped to Canada to be inspected, stickered and returned to the USA.  This adds about 35% to the price and needs to be pre-arranged through Jim.

If one must have UL stickers on the devices and assemblies one will probably spend close to 2x of AmpShop's prices at Lex, TMB/ProPower, Motion Labs, Whirlwind etc.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:56:46 am »

Just took delivery this morning of two more of his distros to add to the two I already had.
In addition to the 16 stringer boxes and what seems like miles of L21-30 cables and feeder.
These stringers/breakouts are great little boxes.

He was able to come through with anything I threw at him. Most of it all last minute. He powered all the BOH areas for the NHL Allstar game and now NCAA BBall tourneys. For the price, he can't be beaten!

Luckily, no UL listing required on my stuff.

Now if only UPS would stop trashing the EWI cases they ship in...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:56:46 am »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.