ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoustic duo for small outdoor winery gigs - single powered sub?  (Read 7534 times)

Paul Burner

I'm an old guy (61) who plays in a rock band (22 years now) - and I'm going to be doing acoustic duo with my son.

I own three JBL PRX612M speakers - and am thinking of using two of them as my mains and the third as our monitor.

From past experience, I have found that I like how a subwoofer rounds out the sound nicely for this type of music.

I would like to get your input on using a single, hopefully small, powered sub for this gig. I DO have a QSC PLX amp available - but trying to keep things I haul to a minimum for this type of gig.

I've seen some used and new subs like JBL PRX518S, EV ZXA1-Sub, the new JBL PRX715XLF.

I would prefer to keep this rig as light as possible also.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Acoustic duo for small outdoor winery gigs - single powered sub?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:16:12 PM »

JBL PRX518S, Looks like it is not available
 EV ZXA1-Sub, seems a bit small for any outdoor work
 JBL PRX715XLF., looks like a good option
Also check out the Yorkville 2x12 Paraline sub.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Paul Burner

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »

JBL PRX518S, Looks like it is not available
 EV ZXA1-Sub, seems a bit small for any outdoor work
 JBL PRX715XLF., looks like a good option
Also check out the Yorkville 2x12 Paraline sub.

I was looking at both new and used cabs - I have seen 518s' listed via GC.

What about the Electro-Voice ELX118P Live X Powered Subwoofer?  134db and 69 lbs.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »

I have played winery tasting rooms for years. If yours are anything like mine, this is really low key stuff with volume at conversational level so they can sell wine.

You probably won't even need your third PRX612 for a monitor. I just set my mains behind me slightly to the left and right. The rooms prefer it that way anyway for looks and space, and levels are low enough to get away with it.

I actually use a sub because it sounds fuller - just a passive 15. If you have the money, that JBL PRX715XLF should do the job nicely and you'll stay all one brand.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:05:47 PM »

What about the Electro-Voice ELX118P Live X Powered Subwoofer?  134db and 69 lbs.
OK I am an EV fan and own some of their products that work very well but 134dB from this box is pure marketing BS. Go look at the specs for the passive version and then tell me if you think it will get anywhere close to that max SPL with 1000w input. That said this could still be a good option for you it just depends how much sub output you really need for these acoustic gigs or any other you may use it for.

Paul Burner

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 11:04:48 PM »

I have played winery tasting rooms for years. If yours are anything like mine, this is really low key stuff with volume at conversational level so they can sell wine.

You probably won't even need your third PRX612 for a monitor. I just set my mains behind me slightly to the left and right. The rooms prefer it that way anyway for looks and space, and levels are low enough to get away with it.

I actually use a sub because it sounds fuller - just a passive 15. If you have the money, that JBL PRX715XLF should do the job nicely and you'll stay all one brand.

Actually most of the venues we would be playing are outdoors.  Probably a crowd of 75 to 100 people spread around on blankets and chairs.

I like your idea of having the speaker slightly behind us.  I did that  years ago for some small steak/ale type restaurant/bars.  We really never needed a monitor.

Richard Turner

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »

Wouldn't bother looking at the 2x12 yorkville, it under performs for the price point.

The 2x15 works well. Havn't heard the new single 15.

So long as your expectations are reasonable most anything would fill in the sound a bit.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:54:28 PM »

I'm an old guy (61) who plays in a rock band (22 years now) - and I'm going to be doing acoustic duo with my son.

I own three JBL PRX612M speakers - and am thinking of using two of them as my mains and the third as our monitor.

From past experience, I have found that I like how a subwoofer rounds out the sound nicely for this type of music.

I would like to get your input on using a single, hopefully small, powered sub for this gig. I DO have a QSC PLX amp available - but trying to keep things I haul to a minimum for this type of gig.

I've seen some used and new subs like JBL PRX518S, EV ZXA1-Sub, the new JBL PRX715XLF.

I would prefer to keep this rig as light as possible also.
Why not get a matching sub to your JBL rig?  Use the internal xover and in it to run up to your mains.  They can be had used a decent price.
JBL PRX618S-XLF
http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/JBL_PRX618S-XLF.v5.pdf

George Dougherty

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:14:38 AM »

Why not get a matching sub to your JBL rig?  Use the internal xover and in it to run up to your mains.  They can be had used a decent price.
JBL PRX618S-XLF
http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/JBL_PRX618S-XLF.v5.pdf

I have a friend who's a local JBL authorized repair shop.  He regularly gripes about the problems with the PRX600 series.  The passive amps burn up and the drivers leave a bit to be desired in durability.  It may also be that some of the users like to drive them as if they're SRX700 series cabs.  The PRX700's on the other hand added active cooling and are supposedly better built.

I just picked up a pair of the PRX715xlf's and was rather impressed with how well a single sub performed indoors for a 40ftx60ft space.  Solo acoustic/vocal with an electronic kick drum on rhythm section, so not a full band, and I had it tickling the limiter on a regular basis, but still...  The second would have kept them out of the limiters.  I had it matched with a pair of dbTech Flexsys FM12's as mains and a single for monitor duty.  At 58lbs, it's easily portable and this system fit nicely in the back of my Toyota Camry.

I picked them up for smaller gigs where the amp rack would be in the way or just impractical, and they should also turn the Flexsys into usable drum and bass monitors on bigger gigs.

For the OP's application it would handle it just fine.

Paul Burner

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:19:04 AM »

I have a friend who's a local JBL authorized repair shop.  He regularly gripes about the problems with the PRX600 series.  The passive amps burn up and the drivers leave a bit to be desired in durability.  It may also be that some of the users like to drive them as if they're SRX700 series cabs.  The PRX700's on the other hand added active cooling and are supposedly better built.

I just picked up a pair of the PRX715xlf's and was rather impressed with how well a single sub performed indoors for a 40ftx60ft space.  Solo acoustic/vocal with an electronic kick drum on rhythm section, so not a full band, and I had it tickling the limiter on a regular basis, but still...  The second would have kept them out of the limiters.  I had it matched with a pair of dbTech Flexsys FM12's as mains and a single for monitor duty.  At 58lbs, it's easily portable and this system fit nicely in the back of my Toyota Camry.

I picked them up for smaller gigs where the amp rack would be in the way or just impractical, and they should also turn the Flexsys into usable drum and bass monitors on bigger gigs.

For the OP's application it would handle it just fine.

George....

The more I look at the PRX715XLF the more I am intrigued by it - and think it might be the way to go for me.

1) I like the high pass
2) I like the weight
3) I like the size

Now - to find one I can afford - HA!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:19:04 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.