ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading dynacord DSP244 into XTA DP448, Is It Worth the money ?  (Read 5641 times)

Chris Immanuel Hutagalung

Hi folks,

I have a plan to upgrade into XTA DP448 from our old Dynacord DSP 244. I need some opinion and info regarding this. But as we know XTA is really expensive. My question is, is it worth the money to upgrade to XTA? Ive heard a lot of good stuff about this 4 series processor. Any other brand suggestion that provides 4x8 matrix processor? BSS? Symetrix? Klark-Teknik?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Upgrading dynacord DSP244 into XTA DP448, Is It Worth the money ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:09:22 AM »

Hi folks,

I have a plan to upgrade into XTA DP448 from our old Dynacord DSP 244. I need some opinion and info regarding this. But as we know XTA is really expensive. My question is, is it worth the money to upgrade to XTA? Ive heard a lot of good stuff about this 4 series processor. Any other brand suggestion that provides 4x8 matrix processor? BSS? Symetrix? Klark-Teknik?

I have used the XTA and they do sound good.
I have also had great results with the Xilica XP series product.
You would be looking at the XP4080 and should cost less than the XTA
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »

A dbx 4820, or 4800 would be a fine choice.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Penkala

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »

Hi folks,

FWIW, If you are using it with an EV/Dynacord system with their proprietary presets, changing it out for an XTA or the like doesn't guarantee better results. You might have to do TF measurements on the outputs and try to copy the results to the new processor. FWIW, I just did a show with a bunch of VerTec 4888's. We had to hire in additional racks and stacks. The processing and amplifier setups were not the same.

Configurations:

1. DBX DriveRack 4800 with Crest Pro Series Amps

2. XTA DP Series with Lab Gruppen Amps.

Both processors were said to have "factory" settings. And, many would assume that the XTA is a better processor and that LAB Gruppen's are better amps. However, by all accounts, the DBX4800/Crest rig sounded much more open and natural compared to the XTA/Lab rig. I was suprised myself.

-JP

John Penkala

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:41:14 AM »

Duplicate Post Please Delete
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:01:02 AM by John Penkala »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »

I think JBL and DBX both Harmon companies worked together to make something very good that isn't easily reproduced by simply copying settings.

... yeah... they Black-Boxed up the specific settings, so you can't just punch in some numbers and have it work. From what I have been told, this was a concept developed by Paul Bauman to combat the plethora of "No VerTec" on tech riders-- enterprising system owners would either presume to improve on the JBL settings, or just develop their own settings-- screw it up, and have a shitty sounding system. By not allowing any changes to be made to the presets, JBL has a stronger control over how VerTecs (using the official presets) will sound. I'm running v4.2 presets on original I-Techs)(they did not release v5 for the classic I-Tech models) and have had nothing but compliments on the sound quality. You should be cautious accepting any systems with less then v4 presets.

(The other problem and danger to the quality was system setup and deployment, and the failure of systems techs to utilize the tools available from JBL, like LAC, to determine the box angles, but that is a different discussion.)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 12:23:38 PM »

... yeah... they Black-Boxed up the specific settings, so you can't just punch in some numbers and have it work. From what I have been told, this was a concept developed by Paul Bauman to combat the plethora of "No VerTec" on tech riders-- enterprising system owners would either presume to improve on the JBL settings, or just develop their own settings-- screw it up, and have a shitty sounding system. By not allowing any changes to be made to the presets, JBL has a stronger control over how VerTecs (using the official presets) will sound. I'm running v4.2 presets on original I-Techs)(they did not release v5 for the classic I-Tech models) and have had nothing but compliments on the sound quality. You should be cautious accepting any systems with less then v4 presets.

(The other problem and danger to the quality was system setup and deployment, and the failure of systems techs to utilize the tools available from JBL, like LAC, to determine the box angles, but that is a different discussion.)

The reason there is no v5 processing for original ITechs is that v5 (for VerTec, anyway) requires FIR filters which the O-ITs cannot provide.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »

The reason there is no v5 processing for original ITechs is that v5 (for VerTec, anyway) requires FIR filters which the O-ITs cannot provide.

Thanks, Tim! I swear, I learn something new from you every day... :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:38 AM »

Lessons learned from the KF850 era: "Too many cooks...."

Smart engineering always means reducing the number of variables.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:38 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.