- 3 (18.8%)
JBL SRX 835 Three way Active speaker
- 6 (37.5%)
JBL SRX 828 Active Subwoofer
- 5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 24, 2015, 12:26:46 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL STX vs SRX 835s and 828s dilemma  (Read 14236 times)

Fernando Olivo

JBL STX vs SRX 835s and 828s dilemma
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »

First of all, I must apologize for my bad english.

This is Fernando from Venezuela, i currently have a pair of PRX 625´s, 2 PRX 615m´s and 2 PRX 618xlf subwoofers and I think im ready to buy a new set of speakers.

A couple of months ago i had the opportunity to hear 2 SRX 725 speakers and 2 SRX 718 subwoofers in a closed restaurant and it was pretty impressive to me, Ive been thinking of buying 2 SRX 835 speakers and a SRX 828 subwoofer since it is the newer version, they seem to have better frequency range and higher SPL.

Im planning to have a set of 4 speakers and 2 double subwoofers in the near future so before i make any decision Id like to hear some opinions...

Im a bit short on budget, affording 2 SRX 835 speakers and a SRX 828 subwoofer would cost me around 6200 USD ( 5200 the speakers and 1000 delivering them to Venezuela) and that wouldnt be easy, but I think that with patience, I could afford to buy the STX 800 series instead, ONLY IF it represents a real step up from the SRX 800 series.

Id rent these speakers for electronic music events and private parties, so what Id like to know is:

Which one would get louder?
STX835 speakers claim having 134 dbs peak, while SRX835 137 dbs;      and STX828 subwoofers 138 dbs vs SRX828sp subwoofers 141 dbs.

How does it compare to my PRX 625 speakers of 139 dbs?

We are talking about a Peak Power Rating of 2000 watts vs 6400 watts  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Is it true that passive speakers can get louder than the peak SPL found in the papers?

I think STX800 series might have higher sound quality than the SRX800´s, but, will thaat really be noticeable? Is it worth to spend the additional 2000 USD?  :o :'(

What amplifiers would you recommend me for the STX800 series?

Whats the coverage of these setups in open air fields vs night clubs?

Fernando Olivo

Re: JBL STX vs SRX 835s and 828s dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »

First of all, I must apologize for my bad english.

This is Fernando from Venezuela, i currently have a pair of PRX 625´s, 2 PRX 615m´s and 2 PRX 618xlf subwoofers and I think im ready to buy a new set of speakers.

A couple of months ago i had the opportunity to hear 2 SRX 725 speakers and 2 SRX 718 subwoofers in a closed restaurant and it was pretty impressive to me, Ive been thinking of buying 2 SRX 835 speakers and a SRX 828 subwoofer since it is the newer version, they seem to have better frequency range and higher SPL.

Im planning to have a set of 4 speakers and 2 double subwoofers in the near future so before i make any decision Id like to hear some opinions...

Im a bit short on budget, affording 2 SRX 835 speakers and a SRX 828 subwoofer would cost me around 6200 USD ( 5200 the speakers and 1000 delivering them to Venezuela) and that wouldnt be easy, but I think that with patience, I could afford to buy the STX 800 series instead, ONLY IF it represents a real step up from the SRX 800 series.

Id rent these speakers for electronic music events and private parties, so what Id like to know is:

Which one would get louder?
STX835 speakers claim having 134 dbs peak, while SRX835 137 dbs;      and STX828 subwoofers 138 dbs vs SRX828sp subwoofers 141 dbs.

How does it compare to my PRX 625 speakers of 139 dbs?

We are talking about a Peak Power Rating of 2000 watts vs 6400 watts  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Is it true that passive speakers can get louder than the peak SPL found in the papers?

I think STX800 series might have higher sound quality than the SRX800´s, but, will thaat really be noticeable? Is it worth to spend the additional 2000 USD?  :o :'(

What amplifiers would you recommend me for the STX800 series?

Whats the coverage of these setups in open air fields vs night clubs?

I have no amps.
Id say i use them 60%  for outdoor 40% indoor events, mainly electronic music events.

I organize private events, about 3 or 4 events per month, some are for 200-500 people (the target im mainly interested in) and some events of 1500+ people which I dont see myself supplying in the near future because of the cost, but still, it would be great to be able to reach that goal in the future by buying more of the speakers im currently buying.

The crowd stay about 1- 2 m away from the speakers most of the time by the way.

I researched and i think id be interested on buying an Itech 4x3500hd for 2 STX 835 and 1 subwoofers STX 828, that would cost around 10000$ vs 5000$ of 2 SRX835 + 1 SRX828. Would the STX series be twice as loud? If not id definetely rather buying the powered ones

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »

The STX is a standard speaker with heavy magnets.  The SRX speakers are a powered speaker that employs light weight magnet technology.  Sound quality should be similar between the lines.

Max SPL output is a relatively imaginary number that can't really be relied on for much.  How long is it rated to produce that output, and how does that speaker sound when you push it that hard?

If you choose a standard speaker, you CAN put a larger amp on it, but now you have to have self control to know when you're pushing the speaker too hard.  If you put a true 6400 watt amp and play electronic music at full tilt, you'll be replacing drivers pretty regularly.  With electronic music that has heavy sustained bass, getting an amp that can deliver the rated RMS long term will be your best bet. 

For groups of 300-500, either will do fine.  The question is, do you want amps inside the speakers, or do you want amps in their own rack?  Each option has benefits, so figure out which way works best for you.
Brian Jojade

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »

The single 18" SRX, STX and the PRX 618xlf are pretty similar. Since you already have two PRX subs, why not just get more of them? No amp rack to deal with.

I don't have an opinion on the tops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Chris Burns

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:41:47 PM »

Updating this thread to inquire if anyone has done live work with the new SRX835s splayed (or single point source) over 828s? I'm very eager to see how it compares to he classic 700 series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:41:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.