ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Nights show - first time for everything...  (Read 11694 times)

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
Re: Last Nights show - first time for everything...
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 03:38:25 pm »

So my first question is - what is this technical term 'notch'?

My guess is the guy had some sort of tie to the railroad industry... either him, his father, grandfather or great grandfather.  On a locomotive, the throttle handle (there's no 'gas' pedal) has 8 discrete positions called "Notches".  When you add more power, operators will often say "Let's take it up a notch".  Full power is N8 (Notch 8).  As with other things in life, terminology can spill over from one industry to another because someone's grandfather who was a locomotive operator used to say "C'mon, Timmy! Take it up a notch!".  Timmy never really knew what a notch was, but he grew up thinking that it meant to put more effort into something.  Next thing you know Timmy becomes a chef and adds Cayenne Pepper to things to "kick it up a notch".

Related to your story...

Once when I was running sound I noticed two guys both standing about 2' behind me.  One 3.5' to my right, the other 3.5' to my left.  The right guy came up and tapped me on the shoulder and lectured me on there being too much bass.  No sooner did he finish and the left guy came up, tapped me on the shoulder and  lectured me on there being too little low end.  I spun around and introduced the two to each other and told them they should talk to each other.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »

My guess is the guy had some sort of tie to the railroad industry... either him, his father, grandfather or great grandfather.  On a locomotive, the throttle handle (there's no 'gas' pedal) has 8 discrete positions called "Notches".  When you add more power, operators will often say "Let's take it up a notch".  Full power is N8 (Notch 8).  As with other things in life, terminology can spill over from one industry to another because someone's grandfather who was a locomotive operator used to say "C'mon, Timmy! Take it up a notch!".  Timmy never really knew what a notch was, but he grew up thinking that it meant to put more effort into something.  Next thing you know Timmy becomes a chef and adds Cayenne Pepper to things to "kick it up a notch".

Related to your story...

Once when I was running sound I noticed two guys both standing about 2' behind me.  One 3.5' to my right, the other 3.5' to my left.  The right guy came up and tapped me on the shoulder and lectured me on there being too much bass.  No sooner did he finish and the left guy came up, tapped me on the shoulder and  lectured me on there being too little low end.  I spun around and introduced the two to each other and told them they should talk to each other.

I think Rich is pulling his Johnson Bar.  Another term from the RR industry.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.