ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable backdrop  (Read 1303 times)

Greg Taylor

portable backdrop
« on: October 12, 2005, 04:58:28 AM »

Hi all,

I am having some problems with the room we are currently using for our services... it is way too "bright" and sound bounces around everywhere.  It just got worse with the arrival of our choir monitors.  One of the ideas to help contain this is to put a cloth backdrop behind the choir. Anyone have any experience with doing this?  Any ideas would be helpful... how you did it, what cloth you used etc.  

I have searched around... and very little has come up.  

It needs to be portable and easy.  This is all temporary till the church gets built!!  

Thanks!
Greg Taylor
Business Administrator
Sound Ministry Director
St. Gall Catholic Church
Gardnerville, NV

Mark Smith

Re: portable backdrop
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 08:43:36 AM »

I have used cloth before to help with this.
You want something pretty heavy and "soft".  Something that is very thin will allow the high frequency to go through it and anything too stiff and hard will reflect it.  You also want to pleat it if possible to dissipate the reflections that happen.  So, let's see.. what I have described is a pleated shag carpet, right?
actually, usually medium-heavy weight drapes work about as well as you can expect.
Keep in mind this is most likely going to be called "ugly" by almost everyone.
As a side note, have you thought about using an eq to remove the offending frequencies (at least out of the choir monitors)?

Kevin Ballard

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 10:41:05 AM »

It might not be appropriate, but balloons are very effective at damping the ring out of a room and whilst they won't cure the problem and bass frequencies are not helped by them, they are very cheap, portable and temporary. (excluding the man hours required to inflate and suspend them).

It might be worth a thought. If the appearance is unacceptable, you could "hide" them behind a plain sheet and the effect will be the same.

HTH
Kevin Ballard

Fear defeats more men than any other single thing

Tom Van Valkenburgh

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 12:19:31 PM »

The curtain idea might work if you only want to deaden some of the very highest frequencies. Absorption by the curtain works for all frequencies above the point where the thickness of the curtain is equal to 1/4 of the wavelength. By my calculations, a nice plush 1/4" curtain will absorb everything above 13KHz. The lower frequencies will mostly pass through the curtain like it's not there, and bounce off whatever is behind them. If the "reflections" you mention are below 13KHz, then the curtain is of limited use.

IF you are not on a shoestring budget, and IF you have somewhere to store them, you might consider some portable acoustic panels. You could buy them or build them yourself and cover them to look reasonably attractive. They will absorb (and possibly diffuse too) down to a much lower frequency. When you get your new building, you can take them off the stands, and reuse them.

For some pictures take a look at:
http://www.jdbsound.com/work/art557.html

Pictures 11 and 12 show some portable panels used in a gym. Most flat panels could probably be adapted to stands as well.

The balloons are a very clever idea but might be a little impractical to set up every week. However, imagine how much fun the kids would have stomping the balloons at the end of each service. Also, I think I would want to under inflate them a little lest they go off unexpectedly during the service.
Multimedia Coordinator
Heritage UMC
Lynchburg, VA

Greg Taylor

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 03:01:33 PM »

Mark Smith wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 05:43

As a side note, have you thought about using an eq to remove the offending frequencies (at least out of the choir monitors)?

Yes, we are doing that as well.  Still wanted to try and cut down on the reflections.  

Thanks all for the ideas!  
Greg Taylor
Business Administrator
Sound Ministry Director
St. Gall Catholic Church
Gardnerville, NV

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 03:01:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.