ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Training Videos with Secondary Language Text  (Read 2860 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Training Videos with Secondary Language Text
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:23:36 AM »

I see that Mike Holt is beginning to release training videos on grounding and bonding with secondary language text. Here's his first example, which is also a great explanation of the shock hazard in showers that electrocuted 16 soldiers in Iraq. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlKiWk4Bb5Y and click on the little "gear" symbol in the lower right corner to select Spanish subtexts. This Spanish text was generated by a Spanish speaking electrician so I'm guessing they're correct, but the auto-generated English sub-texts are so bad that they're funny.

So do you think that creating training videos with secondary language text will help reduce some of the electrocution deaths we've seen over the last few years in other countries? Would something like this training series oriented towards sound technicians in other countries be useful?   

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Training Videos with Secondary Language Text
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »

The case in this video illustrates a situtaion where lack of knowledge (as opposed to the schoolgirl) caused deaths.  In this culture, I think multilingual training for techs could help.  If the culture is one that lives don't matter then the most important target is leadership more so than techs.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:14:37 PM »

The case in this video illustrates a situtaion where lack of knowledge (as opposed to the schoolgirl) caused deaths.  In this culture, I think multilingual training for techs could help.  If the culture is one that lives don't matter then the most important target is leadership more so than techs.

I do know that in a lot of the southwest US (and probably a lot of other places around the country) there's a lot of low-income housing wired by non English speaking (Hispanic) workers. I don't want to get into the politics of that situation, but it seems to me that educating them about proper wiring procedures in their native language could help improve the safety of their installations. Or am I missing something here?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:05 PM »

There is a lot of confusion and hearsay in many areas these days-so if proper training can be provided it would certainly be a good thing.  I have met Hispanic's that were very concerned and careful about how they handle things-same as non-Hispanics in that sense for sure some care some don't.  I would really like some sound training for our Spanish church in Spanish-I have set up their system and it sounds good, but every few months I get complaints about feedback and suggestions that we move speakers-but I always find the bass turned full cw on all the channel eq's -not the way I left it!  The language barrier is no help here-but at least it is not a safety issue.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »

I would really like some sound training for our Spanish church in Spanish-I have set up their system and it sounds good, but every few months I get complaints about feedback and suggestions that we move speakers-but I always find the bass turned full cw on all the channel eq's -not the way I left it!  The language barrier is no help here-but at least it is not a safety issue.

Stephen, last year I paid one of my native Spanish language engineering students to translate the Powerpoint presentation I use in my church sound workshops into Spanish. I had big hopes that I could use this for my Hispanic students, and have offered it as an alternative at dozens of seminar sites. However, I never did have any takers, which seems really strange to me. I even used Spanish to promote it as being available.

I'm willing to try an experiment. I'll send the PPT presentation to you both in both English and Spanish versions, and you try it out at your Hispanic church and see if it helps. Report back to me in a few months with the results. I only ask  that you use it at your church alone since this is copyrighted material that I wrote myself. PM me to confer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.