ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop power supply causing hum through dj rig  (Read 15801 times)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: Laptop power supply causing hum through dj rig
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »

All MacBook Pros that I've seen (I have 2, employees have them, many friends, colleagues, and clients have them) have 3 prong connectors. Never once had a buzz from any of them.

I think it's more to do with the specific power supply or laptop and not just the 'presence of a 3-prong adapter'.

Question though, I've seen many PC's without a ground prong on their adapter. Are these inherently unsafe, or is there something different about those power supplies?  In other words, why is it unsafe to remove the ground prong from a 3-prong supply when some PC's only come with a 2-prong supply in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »

I've had several laptop noise problems that were cleared up by simply running them on the internal battery power.  One computer with a "short life" weak internal battery had the problem solved by using a 12V alarm system back-up battery wired to the computer's automotive power supply cable in an "emergency".

David Buckley

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 06:28:48 PM »

I think it's more to do with the specific power supply or laptop and not just the 'presence of a 3-prong adapter'.

Yes, of course it is: many manufacturers of power supplies for laptops carry through the ground from the mains to the negative of the output.  If there isn't an incoming ground then they cant do that.

Question though, I've seen many PC's without a ground prong on their adapter. Are these inherently unsafe, or is there something different about those power supplies?  In other words, why is it unsafe to remove the ground prong from a 3-prong supply when some PC's only come with a 2-prong supply in the first place?

If there is no ground pin, then the deice being powered must be designed and built to make it incapable of giving someone a shock.  This is most commonly done by making the thing "double insulated", which has the two square boxes symbol.

The other approach is to ground stuff, so if a fault occurs, then then effectively the fault current is shorted to ground causing a fuse to pop.  So, if you chop off the ground pin, there is no safe return path, and under fault conditions, someone can become shocked.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 04:50:58 PM »

OP has not seen fit to reply with requested information in the last 10 weeks. Perhaps just ignoring the problem made it go away...

That's a YEAR and ten weeks... since the thread started in March of last year. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 04:50:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.