ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12Inch or 15Inch Speakers?  (Read 18578 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: 12Inch or 15Inch Speakers?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 09:30:38 PM »

. The reason I landed at Mackie was because of the wattage.
Wattage should be one of the last thing you look at in  a speaker.

At the bottom end of the market, the wattage claims are all over the map-and often many times larger than what they can actually produce.

Buying a speaker because of the wattage is like choosing a car on low the gas milage is-when you are looking for speed.

They may or may NOT be related.

The manufacturers who post 'BIG WATTS" on the sides of the boxes are preying on the people who think that watts is all there is. 

There is A LOT more than simple watts.

And 1 real watt could be called 8 watts if using the IPPO wattage calculation.

So BE VERY CAREFUL when comparing "watts"  THEY ARE NOT all created equal.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark Tansey

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 04:45:43 AM »

Wattage should be one of the last thing you look at in  a speaker.

At the bottom end of the market, the wattage claims are all over the map-and often many times larger than what they can actually produce.

Buying a speaker because of the wattage is like choosing a car on low the gas milage is-when you are looking for speed.

They may or may NOT be related.

The manufacturers who post 'BIG WATTS" on the sides of the boxes are preying on the people who think that watts is all there is. 

There is A LOT more than simple watts.

And 1 real watt could be called 8 watts if using the IPPO wattage calculation.

So BE VERY CAREFUL when comparing "watts"  THEY ARE NOT all created equal.
Okay thank you, So what do you think of the JBL PRX 715?

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »

I own several of the prx600 series boxes (the prior iteration of the series).  I have 6 of the prx612, 2 of the 615, and 4 of the 618sxlf.  The 600 series "plays well" with the 700 series speakers, based on reports of folks who have rented from me. That is not always the case when mixing brands or models.

If you can figure out a way to purchase a prx718 sub now to go with 700 series tops, I strongly suggest you do that. IMO, one 718 sub and one 712 top will sound better than a pair of 715 tops by themselves for DJ dance music. A single top over sub won't look like most setups, however, but it a more appropriate top to sub ratio. Ivan Beaver (a regular contributor here) is a big advocate of a single point source for getting the best sound reproduction. For dance music, you might even find that one top over two subs gives you the chest-thumping sound I suspect you desire.

FWIW, I did buy tops before getting subs, but I wasn't trying to score close-out specials either.  Think longer range about the system you want to have, not just what you currently can afford. Develop a plan to build a rational system, not just a collection of separate speakers. If that is something you can't do, then just get a pair of the 715s.

Good luck!

"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 09:51:41 PM »

I have no opinion one way or the other-because I have no experience with it.

I don't participate in "here say"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 01:01:18 AM »

I don't participate in "here say"

Would you be trying a clever juxtaposition of "hearsay" ?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »

I very successfully DJ'd with 12" 2-way boxes over single or dual 18" subs.  Many times just I just used one 12" over a dual 18", running mono.  Space in bars was always limited, and this did the trick.  I just never liked the sound of a 15" trying to be a midrange driver - no clarity.  Also, getting 12-inchers up on a stand, or on a pole over a sub, was a breeze.

Get a very good pair of 12's and one very good sub now.  Buy the 2nd sub later, when necessary. Find some owners (here or elsewhere) to get a demo before buying.  When auditioning any speaker, only listen to ONE of them, as you can be tricked, or misled, by the sound coming from 2 places.  Trust me, they will both sound the same.

Subs:  I never leave home without one.

If you will never buy subs, then get a powered 15".  The lowest end that I can recommend that sounds very good by itself is the EV ELX115P.  I'm sure there are others, and prices go up from there.

The ELX118P, while functional, never really gave me the "goosies" - there are better choices in powered subs. 

ALWAYS use a high-pass filter (about 35-40 Hz) on unpowered subs (powered subs have this protection built in).

This is my personal opinion, of course.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:22:57 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.